IGNORED

Header pipe glowing red!

twstm

2002 R1150 RT-P. I started it yesterday morning and used the fast idle in the first position. I usually wait until I see 1 bar on the temp gauge before riding off but this morning I was looking for my duty belt in the garage and it fast idled a couple of minutes. when I walked back to get on the bike I noticed the right side header pipe glowing red. It was only running a few minutes, I can't imagine it should be glowing red after just a couple minutes.

What should I look for ? Exhaust valve adjustment?

They've been known to melt the fairings and even catch fire left idling on the sidestand...

Yours being a P though should have a fan the others don't to keep temps down (but I still wouldn't leave it idling - not even to one bar unless it was bitterly cold out). Headers getting hot enough to change color is not uncommon either; does it have any other running issues?

They've been known to melt the fairings and even catch fire left idling on the sidestand...

Yours being a P though should have a fan the others don't to keep temps down (but I still wouldn't leave it idling - not even to one bar unless it was bitterly cold out). Headers getting hot enough to change color is not uncommon either; does it have any other running issues?

No other problems running. I put the AF-XiED fuel controller on right after I bought it.

Thanks for the info, I certainly let it warm up much unless it's REALLY cold out.

You should never leave it idling unattended.

The handbook also says start and ride off immediately. No warm up needed and it fuels well from the get-go. The only thing to be had from warm up, is pollution and extra fuel costs.

The handbook also says start and ride off immediately. No warm up needed and it fuels well from the get-go. The only thing to be had from warm up, is pollution and extra fuel costs.

Exactly. Start it, pull on your gloves, and go.

I was just surprised it would get that hot...it only idled for 2-3 minutes tops.

Morning twstm

Your BMW 1150RT has thin single wall pipes with a sharp bend in them close to the exhaust ports.

Not only will you get the dull red glow at fast idle but if you have someone else ride the bike you will see the same red glow as they pull into your garage at night or slowly ride in stop & go traffic.

Riding down the road there is enough air flow across the pipes to keep the pipes cool enough to not glow but ANY elevated idle RPM's & sitting still will quickly bring on that red glow & radiated heat.

If you keep fast idling your engine to warm it up you will find the paint & possibly the plastic just above the pipes all burnt & distorted (take a close look next time you are around the bike).

As mentioned above, just start the engine (use choke/fast idle if you want) then as SOON as it will stay running on it's own slowly ride off.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I was just surprised it would get that hot...it only idled for 2-3 minutes tops.

"Fast idle" is a misnomer. It's not idle at all: when you flip that lever, a cable/cam mechanism pulls the throttle plates open just a smidge. You're letting in more fuel and more air, which means you're going to get:

-higher exhaust temperatures than idle

-a higher exhaust flow rate than idle

As you've observed, this heats up your headers right quick. Oilheads left unattended on "fast idle" have been known to damage themselves. Do not leave your bike unattended like this - and even if you're present, you don't want to run it on fast idle for more than 10-15 seconds before you get rolling. You can warm the engine up over the first mile or so of your ride: just keep the loads light and RPMs moderate until you get a few bars on the RID. This will also warm the engine up faster than "fast idle", since you'll be using higher throttle settings.

Exactly. Start it, pull on your gloves, and go.

Yes.

Yes.

And, yes.

Air cooled design with oil cooler added.

MOving air...

Why would one header - right side in this case, get that much hotter than the other?

Evening kalali

They were probably both glowing, he just noticed the R/H one.

Why would one header - right side in this case, get that much hotter than the other?

Evening kalali

They were probably both glowing, he just noticed the R/H one.

Exactly.