IGNORED

BigMak Tankbag Size

ESokoloff

These were perhaps the best tank bags ever made.

Sadly Mark has LOOOONG since stoped making them.

Mine is at least 12 years old & still hanging in there but it won't work on my Zero DSR as there's no gas cap!!!

I'm looking at Wolfman products & Im wondering how big the BigMak is for size comparison?

Thx.

These were perhaps the best tank bags ever made.

Sadly Mark has LOOOONG since stoped making them.

Mine is at least 12 years old & still hanging in there but it won't work on my Zero DSR as there's no gas cap!!!

I'm looking at Wolfman products & Im wondering how big the BigMak is for size comparison?

Thx.

Morning Eric

Mark made a few different versions over the years that he made them so if you can post a picture of your original BigMac we can hopefully find a similar & measure it for you.

I still ride with a BigMac but Mark custom built mine to cardboard patterns that I sent him so I'm not sure the measured size would help you.

Bill_Walker

You could get a pretty good estimate by measuring the Big Mak bag's height, width and depth and then multiplying them to get volume. Conversion to comparable units is left as an exercise for the reader.

My memory's not what it used to be.

Now that you mention it, didn't he make a mini version that could also attach to a regular sized bag?

The bag I have is the standard size.

You could get a pretty good estimate by measuring the Big Mak bag's height, width and depth and then multiplying them to get volume.

Well being that two of the three dimensions change (front to back), it would be more of a guestiment rather then an estiment and I guesstimate that it's 14 liters +-

If I did care to estimate its size I could use a plastic bag slightly larger in volume then the tankbag & fill it with water or better yet sand.

I figure eventually someone will respond with the correct figure (or not).

If my memory is still working, you had a Marsee bag with a filler ring attachment.

3 bag sizes

Tankbag

DSC Diamond Space Case (?) That was flat, a few inches high, had clear map window, could be used solo, or attached to tankbag top.

The Map Case, flat, maybe an inch high, designed to go on top of tankbag.

Best I can recall.

Still have DSC, used solo a long time, and a map case that needs slight repair.

Best bags for that era bike, IMO.

My memory's not what it used to be.

Now that you mention it, didn't he make a mini version that could also attach to a regular sized bag?

The bag I have is the standard size.

Morning Eric

I'm pretty sure that he made a number of slightly different bag sizes & shapes. When I was working with Mark on a custom fit bag for my 1200 he sent me some stock bag pictures & sizes & none did what I needed & still clear the handlebars at full lock. In fact when we were done he offered (sold) the bag that he made for me (to my cardboard templates) for use on the 1200RT base plates.-- Unfortunately not for very long as he shutdown not long after that.

There was one other smaller bag on the market at that time (I can't remember the make or model) that fit my needs almost exactly EXCEPT the width across the front was just a bit too square & wide to clear my bars at full lock.

I was at a dealer & they had the bag hanging on the wall so I almost bought it from looks (I would have bet a thousand dollars that it would work). I took it out & set it on my 1200 & it wouldn't clear the bars at full lock without moving it to a place I didn't want it.

If your Zero has more bar clearance then there is probably a commercial bag out there that will fit.

I was going through the same bag mounting problem with my 800GS as those also don't have a gas cap up on top. (there are a few options that have a horseshoe shaped bag mount with the lower part of the snap together mount attached to long arms that straddle the fake tank enclosure & actually bolt to the side attachments.

You might do some research on BMW 700 or 800GS quick-attach tank bag mounts as there are some work-arounds that seem pretty secure & don't look too awfully bad. I think they even make a quick attachment lower part that you can bolt directly to the plastic (no gas cap ring required).

If you have clearance issues then possibly look into tail bags for usage as a tank bag (I was looking in that direction for my 800GS at one time)-- Some tail bags also have stiffer bottoms that make mounting to oddball quick attachments easier & more secure.

Bill_Walker
You could get a pretty good estimate by measuring the Big Mak bag's height, width and depth and then multiplying them to get volume.

Well being that two of the three dimensions change (front to back), it would be more of a guestiment rather then an estiment and I guesstimate that it's 14 liters +-

If I did care to estimate its size I could use a plastic bag slightly larger in volume then the tankbag & fill it with water or better yet sand.

I figure eventually someone will respond with the correct figure (or not).

If my memory is still working, you had a Marsee bag with a filler ring attachment.

That's probably the best you can do. I just went and found his site in the internet wayback machine (web.archive.org), and he didn't actually list the bag volumes anywhere. Perhaps he never computed them. He had photos of them on bikes so you could get a feel for how big they were.

Your memory isn't too bad. I DID have a Marsee tank bag, but it was a dual-mount that could be either strap-on (for my RT) or magnetic mount (for my V-Strom). I later switched to a Big Mak, which I'll be selling soon, since I traded in the bike it fits.

Even with the usually yellowed map case cut off, the bag is still useful. Some folks want just the base plate to mount a different bag. Put an ad in the Classifieds if you have no need for it.

Even with the usually yellowed map case cut off, the bag is still useful. Some folks want just the base plate to mount a different bag. Put an ad in the Classifieds if you have no need for it.

Ok thanks. I was wondering if there are any ready made bags to mount on it as an option to the OEM.