IGNORED

R1100RS receptacle underneath left of shock had small amount oil coming out

Bubbadozer

I unscrewed the plastic half turn plastic plug at the bottom of the receptacle on left hand side of rear shock. When I did, a small amount of oil ran out. I'm assuming this is done sort of overflow that is connected to air box? After it ran out and stopped dropping, I cleaned plug and replaced it.

Anyone able to tell me for sure what this is, as I do not have owners manual.

Thanks

Edited by Bubbadozer
I unscrewed the plastic half tube plug at the bottom of the receptacle on left hand side of rear shock. When I did, a small amount of oil ran out. I'm assuming this is done sort of overflow that is connected to air box? After it ran out and stopped dropping, I cleaned plug and replaced it.

Anyone able to tell me for sure what this is, as I do not have owners manual.

Thanks

Evening Scott

What year 1100RS are you working with?

Yes, that drain plug is attached to the bottom of the airbox. Oil gets pulled into there when the oil is overfilled. Now that you drained it, you should be okay. Don't fill the oil to the top of the sight glass.

Afternoon Scott

If it is the drain valve shown in picture below then it is the air box drain.

On the 1100RS there are 2 different engine ventilation set-up's, the early & the

late. The early version uses a separate oil separator so on that version the air box

drain is mainly a water drain.

On the later 1100RS bikes the crankcase vents directly into the air box so the air box

can contain some oil when you drain it. (your 1966 RS has the later crankcase vent system)

If the bike was ever tipped over on it's side while running then you could get a measurable

mount of oil out of that drain.

A little oil residue at periodic draining is pretty normal & nothing to worry about.

GrxIpvp.jpg