IGNORED

Getting BMW Gore-Tex Boots Resoled

Mike

These puppies are about 15-20 years old, and were worn down to slicks. I took them to a local cobbler and for $80, I now have new, beautiful Vibram soles:

IMG_3249-M.jpg

I wanted to share this because I often read that these sorts of repairs can't be done or that only a select few have the ability. It ain't so. A good cobbler can hook you up.

I'm curious... have you stood in 2" of water to see if they are still waterproof?

I said "boot," not "boat." :P

Actually, I'm pretty confident that this has no impact on the water resistance of the boots. The process involves shaving a small layer off the molded sole and affixing a Vibram layer with specialized glue and heat. There is no stitching or other intrusion into the sole of the boot.

But, I'll let you know after I stand in 2" of water.

szurszewski

I believe the boots' waterproofness comes from a the foresk....er... that is Gore-Tex... bootie that makes up part of the lining, so even if the sole was removed completely, as long as the bootie was damaged, it should still be good to go.

I have a pair of Joe Rocket Super Street boots that had a thin, slick sole. Bought a pair of soles off ebay, smoothed and sanded the boot soles, applied contact cement and placed the new soles on. Waited a day and trimmed the edges a bit. Not quite pro quality, but what a difference they make! Next time I'll just take mine to a cobbler too. We have our western boots done here every so often. They do an amazing job of cleaning and polishing the leather for you too.

Bill_Walker

Cool! Yeah, I'd hate to lose the waterproofness of my Gore-Tex boots, both for the occasional rain, and because I've been know to stand in a stream to cool off my feet on hot days.

I believe the boots' waterproofness comes from a the foresk....er... that is Gore-Tex... bootie that makes up part of the lining, so even if the sole was removed completely, as long as the bootie was damaged, it should still be good to go.

I think that's correct. The original soles were molded to the uppers and there is no stitching. It's essentially matter of slicing off enough of the original sole to create a flat surface, then affixing the new Vibram layer.

Hopefully it will be a durable repair; with equivalent new boots running $300-$400, it seemed like a worthwhile strategy.

szurszewski

I think that's correct. The original soles were molded to the uppers and there is no stitching. It's essentially matter of slicing off enough of the original sole to create a flat surface, then affixing the new Vibram layer.

Hopefully it will be a durable repair; with equivalent new boots running $300-$400, it seemed like a worthwhile strategy.

AND you already know they fit correctly and don't have to worry about whether or not they'll break-in properly.

I'm curious... have you stood in 2" of water to see if they are still waterproof?

I said "boot," not "boat." :P

But, I'll let you know after I stand in 2" of water.

Please do...

When riding in rain the accumulation and saturation of water on boots is pretty intense. Coming down from a rain suit and off the front wheel they get wet...

Did the same thing you did some years ago with a pair of Alpinestars touring boots.

Took them to the factory in Torrance, CA. for resoling and reconditioning. Got them back and the first time in the rain... well, they were leaking. :cry: