IGNORED

LED H4 bulb that works??

trispeed

anyone find an LED H4 replacement that actually works? i.e. proper low/ high beam relationship and overall pattern and brighter output.

looking to use in my r1100rt single H4 bulb

I put one of these in my 16 Zero DSR I'm quite satisfied with it.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

1 year

Beam Pattern Guarantee - If at anytime during the first 90 days you are not pleased with the beam pattern. Return it for a full refund for cost of product (excludes shipping).

The seller (ADVmonster) seems to sell quite a few as it's not available all the time.

anyone find an LED H4 replacement that actually works? i.e. proper low/ high beam relationship and overall pattern and brighter output.

It's physically impossible to make an LED provide the proper beam pattern in a reflector designed for an incandescent bulb. Your H4 reflector is designed for bulb filaments of a certain size in specific locations. No LED replacement can match this, so you get a beam pattern throwing light in the wrong direction, often into the eyes of oncoming drivers. That's why the sale of such "upgrades" is prohibited by federal law.

It's physically impossible to make an LED provide the proper beam pattern in a reflector designed for an incandescent bulb. Your H4 reflector is designed for bulb filaments of a certain size in specific locations. No LED replacement can match this, so you get a beam pattern throwing light in the wrong direction, often into the eyes of oncoming drivers. That's why the sale of such "upgrades" is prohibited by federal law.

Lots has been written on this topic so Google is your friend. That being said I'd like to emphasize something you need to be aware of. Do not confuse/connect a high level of brightness with improved vision.

Very bright but poorly focused/aimed light will flood the road in front of you but blind you to what is further down the road.

An HID might be a better option. I had one on my R1100RT, and it was a significant improvement especially when combined with a set of Hella 550 driving lights.

What about something like the silverstars? I know a few people that swear by them.

There's the old saw that says "the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long". That applies to headlight bulbs and rock 'n roll musicians.

I've tried the Silverstar bulbs in other bikes but didn't get long life. I'll take a standard bulb, maybe even a heavy-duty one (if/when I can find one) over the over-bright ones.

Edited by shuber
  • 3 weeks later...
Bert Remington

H4 12953BWX2 Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Headlight Bulb (see topic in Bike Related Things).

My limited experience with this bulb says it solved the problem of filament vs LED reflector compatibility. However the pay-to-play is very high.

Adv Monster's Generation 1 bulb was a problem and I ditched it. But I've run their Gen 2 bulb and it works well on my F650GS. Very pleased with it.

It may be only a bit brighter than the OEM bulb but not adequate for running by itself at night. It is whiter than the incandenscent, though.

I've run the bulb for three years and it's still going strong.

I still think adding extra lighting is de rigeur for night-time riding. Adv Monster has some very nice, affordable, driving and flood lights.

The PIAA 1100s I had on my RT were the bomb for illumination down the road, but they are expensive.

Hope this helps.

Edited by doc47