IGNORED

Distance between rear tire and exhaust

Imgnr

Hello! I'm concerned that the rear tire is too close to the exhaust and it might heat up the tire and be a safety issue; there's maybe 1/2 inch between them. The PO put in a custom exhaust and the bike was crashed so the bracket is bent.

What gap do you guys have?

Thank you!

Hello! I'm concerned that the rear tire is too close to the exhaust and it might heat up the tire and be a safety issue; there's maybe 1/2 inch between them. The PO put in a custom exhaust and the bike was crashed so the bracket is bent.

What gap do you guys have?

Thank you!

You might get a better reply with more info on the bike, like model and year. Also, in this case with an aftermarket pipe, a picture of this gap, pipe and tire might help. We can only assume this gap is on the front side of the tire as opposed to the top.

In general, it shouldn't be a big problem unless the bike sits idling for more than a few seconds. The rotating tire and airflow through this area should be enough to keep anything from getting too hot. If it were a stationary saddle bag or tire hugger, that would be cause for concern.

There are aftermarket exhaust pipe guards that mount on and very close to the pipe. You might consider something like this. It would also definitely help protect the pipe from road grit slung from the tire and sandblasting the pipe, especially in the rain. IF it does rain in LA.

Unfortunately, my Photobucket account no longer allows me to link photos unless I upgrade. I have an 04 Rockster but I think the bike model isn't that relevant; the question has to do with how close are other bike's rear tires to the exhaust.

I'd be a lot less concerned if people were to reply that they came from the factor with about the same gap...

lmgnr,

Hopefully someone with a Rockster will chime in with a measurement and put you mind at ease. But, I think any gap is all that you really need. As long as the exhaust isn't actually touching (ever, while riding, not just parked), I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I have had bikes where if the exhaust was not mounted, or replaced just right, it would get too close to the tire. I found that I could usually push or twist the exhaust before tightening it down I was able to get closer to a 1 inch gap, which I thought was about the minimum that a bike should have.

dc

szurszewski

I *think* but am not certain that Bill has the same tire on his R that we have on our K (both sidecar tugs) - it's a 175/55R17 /XL Achilles ATR-K Economist.

It's not a great tire, but it's the only one I know of that will fit the stock wheel and not run into anything else back there (well, not much anyway). I've got one that's just about worn out, and worn more than I usually would but I'm trying to see just how many miles I can squeeze - currently at just about 17,000 (on a nearly 2000lb sidecar rig).

You could also sit on the ground with your feet braced on the tire and the deployed centerstand and give the muffler a sharp tug to get it further away from the tire .

Or remove the muffler and bracket and straighten the bracket.

Unfortunately, my Photobucket account no longer allows me to link photos unless I upgrade. I have an 04 Rockster but I think the bike model isn't that relevant; the question has to do with how close are other bike's rear tires to the exhaust.

I'd be a lot less concerned if people were to reply that they came from the factor with about the same gap...

Imgnr,

Try Google Photo, it's free and works.

Sooner or later you'll find out that "the factor(y)" isn't always right on everything. Hence in large part these forums.

Good luck.

RoanokeRider

It is the Achilles 175/55-17 that was mentioned above. I only get about 11,500 miles on them. This is my 3rd one. And as Josh says, it is the only tire imported into this country that fits. On the R bikes you generally don't need any shims. On the K bikes you need 6 or 8 mm of shims. This is on a sidecar bike. It feels like the tire is about 1/2" from the muffler.