IGNORED

Oh, to Accessorize ...

reglook

what are your favorite (can't ride without) accessories? What do you love having or what are you salivating to get?

Afternoon reglook

Gasoline, credit card, & a cell phone.

Hank R1200RT

The RT has a lot of my must have items already (cruise control, heated grips and seat, hard panniers, power outlet, GPS).

Stuff I have added: fender extensions, more tools, crash bars to install RSN. And more tools.

Farkles on the list: fog/driving lights, radar detector, CB/weather radio, oil cooler fan, voltmeter, oil temp/pressure gauges.

It never ends.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Absolutely lights.....right after a seat that isn't made in Germany. Have the first, squared, and the latter.

Does yours still have the stock seat?

If so, that would be my #1.

Having said that, there are a few folks here who can actually endure sitting on one for a full tank of gas.

Maybe you are one of them...

:wave:

Having said that, there are a few folks here who can actually endure sitting on one for a full tank of gas.

Curious. I am on my fourth BMW, never have changed the seat. I am good for about 3 or 4 tanks a day, maybe 12 hours, and then it is my knees that get tired of sitting not the seat becoming a problem. On the oilhead I had before my current wethead, I did have to add seat jacks to keep from sliding into the gas tank. But I have never had a problem with the padding on BMW seats. Possibly it is because I am lighter than average, but that is just a guess.

The list is endless - and there are lists here and there. I made a spreadsheet of possible farkles when I bought my bike. There are some (almost) universally agreed upon upgrades - an aftermarket seat being one of them. BUt it also rings true that what some consider can't live withouts, others don't even consider. They can also fall into different categories - comfort, safety, performance, appearance, etc. And a lot of this stuff isn't cheap!

So - once you prioritize your list - keep an eye out for used items.

For my 06, I've added:

Fork mounted aux lights (PIAA 1200 - NLA) Used both for better illumintion at night - but also to be seen better at all times. I later replaced these with Skene Proton Blasters (yellow) that solely add visibility.

I also have the BMW Aux LED rear tail light. Skene and others also make good aux tail/brake light options. Lots of folks like clearwater - they make great stuff, but it's also very pricey.

Sargent Seat

Illium lowering foot pegs. My hips cramp without them.

Engine or valve cover protectors. Lots of options and price points - I have Touratech.

Louder horn

HID headlights (in place of factory bulbs)

Wilburs ESA shocks

mirror cables

K bike RS mirrors

GPS

FOBO tire pressure monitor

Larger windshield for winter riding

Metal windshield supports

Fender extenders

Luggage liners

Various RAM mounts

Bar end weights

heated gear troller

Trickle charger

Fuse block

Radar detector

Tool kit

Tire plug kit

Air compressor

Strobing flashlight

Reflective Tape on top case and panniers.

Happy to unpack any of those for you if you have questions about any of them.

Doug_Baliko

These are my must have accessories for my RT to be able to ride comfortably over long distances.

Aftermarket seat. I happen to like my Russell Day Long. But there are other brands that many members like as well

Aftermarket windshield. I use a VStream. But again, others use other brands like they like as well. CalSci is another brand mentioned a lot.

Pull back risers. They put the handlebars up and back about an inch.

Peg lowering kit. About an inch or so more leg room.

Then there are safety items that I think are necessary. Front lighting so that you can be seen and see better. Additional brake lighting. Etc. you have to set your priorities, and your budget, otherwise it gets out of hand fast.

Doug

Edited by dbaliko

Thanks everyone for all the input ... I think I got very fortunate on the bike I bought ... and didn't even know it ... it came with quite a few options that I did not even appreciate it until I hear the value of these things ...it came with a Russel day long extra seat another seat that I don't know the brand ... front illuminated lights an after market windshield (brand i don't know) the previous owner so put some kind of a fuse box system under the seat or a box to plug things into ... he was telling me about it but I wasn't grabbing it's significance ... he had done some iron butt rides in the past so it does have some extras ...one thing I need is a way to secure my phone for navigation ... he had a GPS system and it still has the 1" peg to secure to ... I just need to get the pieces to connect the phone ... any suggestions on type to buy?

Oh it came with an after market exhaust ...supposedly adds torque (according to the website) ... I think he might have changed the horn too because it's extremely loud ... and a trickle charger ... but I ride everyday so that is probably not too necessary ...

I didn't really like the looks of it in the beginning, but he also put some reflective stickers on the back of the cases too ... which now I like for the safety aspect ... plus some after market brake lights ...

The more I type the more I realize how much extra value I received ... and honestly didn't even know it when I bought it ...

Edited by reglook

Keep in on the charger, regardless.

And adding torque, minimal, with trade offs.

Enjoy the new ride.

Curious. I am on my fourth BMW, never have changed the seat. I am good for about 3 or 4 tanks a day, maybe 12 hours, and then it is my knees that get tired of sitting not the seat becoming a problem. On the oilhead I had before my current wethead, I did have to add seat jacks to keep from sliding into the gas tank. But I have never had a problem with the padding on BMW seats. Possibly it is because I am lighter than average, but that is just a guess.

Congratulations!

You are one of "The Few"!

Lone_RT_rider

Congratulations!

You are one of "The Few"!

My thoughts exactly. :)

My short list of must haves....

1. Aftermarket Seat

2. A good set of shocks (I run Wilbers)

3. A large tire budget :)

Shawn