IGNORED

Dealer Won't Perform Service on Older Bikes Except in Winter????

mgold

Called the local dealer today, Falcone of Indianapolis. Was told that they do not perform service on older bikes except for in Winter. Is this normal for a dealer to deny service to older bikes except for Winter time?

Edited by mgold
John Ranalletta

Though I live in Indy, I don't have an opinion of Falcone's policies. Likely, their service schedule is overloaded and the fellow you talked with simply didn't choose the most diplomatic way to say, "Sorry, but we can't get to your bike until ....... because we are so busy."

I was told that my dealer would not service/work on anything older than 12 years. (had a 1982 Honda 900F at the time).

that was wild west in Katy TX.

i am currently looking for a qualified tech that works independently of the dealership.

good luck

mark

Edited by Dobo
szurszewski

Depending on the "techs" you might not want them working on your RT anyway as it may well be almost as old as they are and not what they trained on work on.

Have you checked independent shops in your area maybe John R has a suggestion or maybe it's work you could do yourself or with some local forum assistance?

At this time an independent shop might not be able to get you in until fall either.

Called the local dealer today, Falcone of Indianapolis. Was told that they do not perform service on older bikes except for in Winter. Is this normal for a dealer to deny service to older bikes except for Winter time?

Afternoon mgold

I don't know about normal but a number of them will take the job but not give a repair time. They only work on the older ones when they have the extra time.

Older bikes are difficult to make any money on as they don't stock most parts, have limited service data, & most importantly the young tecs aren't familiar with most operations without looking everything up as they go.

An older BMW is a good winter project for them though as it gives the tecs something to do (& learn on) in the slow winter months.

Had a similar problem years ago with another brand and dealer. Called for simple service and annual state inspection. First, the guy tells me that they don't work on anything that old (despite the fact that they had already serviced it over the last couple of years and no one said anything previously). Then he shifted gears and told me that they are just too busy to take in any new work right now.

When I tried to clarify if the real issue is their backed up schedule or the age of my bike, the illiterate douchebag kept vacillating between the two stories. I finally gave up and found a new shop.

Mgold, if you don't mind the question, what were you planning on having done?

As I've developed the ability to do most of my own service, I have become less and less patient with repair shops. It's so bad now, that if they won't take my vehicle in right away when I ride up (which is almost never since they are always running behind these days) I say nevermind and leave.

I was talking with riders of bikes older than 15 yrs at the Utah MOA rally. They claim problems getting service at BMW dealers. The reason stated is that all BMW techs must be certified. Certified means certified on that particular motor and model. As the old technicians age out of the business, the new techs don't have the certifications for the 'older' models. Hence, your dealership may not be able to provide the 'level of service' required on your bike by the BMW mother ship. To me that means that those of us who are mechanically challenged will have to buy a new machine every 10 years or so no matter how much we like our current ride or how well it has been maintained. That Sucks thank you very much BMW motorad.

Edited by Red
szurszewski
I was talking with riders of bikes older than 15 yrs at the Utah MOA rally. They claim problems getting service at BMW dealers. The reason stated is that all BMW techs must be certified. Certified means certified on that particular motor and model. As the old technicians age out of the business, the new techs don't have the certifications for the 'older' models. Hence, your dealership may not be able to provide the 'level of service' required on your bike by the BMW mother ship. To me that means that those of us who are mechanically challenged will have to buy a new machine every 10 years or so no matter how much we like our current ride or how well it has been maintained. That Sucks thank you very much BMW motorad.

Or maybe just find an independent shop? I'm not one of those guys that say awful things about dealers - I like them just fine, but with both bikes and cars, once they are out of warranty they are not likely to go back to a dealer for service unless another good option isn't available.

Edited by szurszewski

Sounds like what was?is happening in HD dealerships 10 years ago?

Understandable, but sad. Dealership pays for Tech to go to school and get certified, perhaps the demand doesn't justify the expenses?

Not saying right or OK, but it happens.

Now as far as just riding up, an expecting walk in service immediately, not likely.

But, if you are so adamant, and see the need, why don't you open one up...

interesting how people who don't own a dealership know what is best.

:/

We had techs, owner, and sales, that worked on, and rode BMW's for decades, all of them.

When new models came out, knowledge base added to existing.

Now, lack of prior knowledge means BMW won't stand behind work so either $pend money on certifaction$, lose the tech for extended period of time while they "learn", or, keep doing what keeps doors open, until some down time (winter?) and then...

We were often booked for weeks in advance.

Owners with break downs were usually worked in. We even took FD's off floor models to get riders back on the road.

With 4 techs working full time, we still had work booked for weeks in advance, customers knew, and tried to plan routine maintenance accordingly.

We even picked up bikes in 400 mile circle as no other dealerships, then.

So, good news, usually parts available for older models.

Usually good sources of information on repair and servicing for older models.

Could be worse.

Edited by tallman

I recall hearing a number of years ago, that our local dealer would charge extra for bikes over a certain age. I dunno, I never went there anyway. Call around to different shops. Usually there are competent independent mechanics out there, even though they may not specialize in, or advertise for BMWs specifically.

Good idea. Is there a source document that lists independent shops that have certified BMW mechanics? I don't really like the idea of trying to get yellow pages for all towns within 400 mile radius and just start calling.

Another story. I am in the BMW MOA anonymous book. About 3 weeks ago I got a call from a rider in Burns with an old K1000 that wouldn't start. He had checked fuel pump, spark, ect. He called me to see if I could help. I offered to load it up and take him to nearest dealer (Boise, ID 185 miles one way). He called them. They would not work on his bike for the reasons stated in comments above. None of their techs were trained or familiar with his bike. The dealership gave him the phone # of an independent who worked on them. While it burns me that they wouldn't work on his bike, I thought it admirable for them to know and refer him to another venue.

Good idea. Is there a source document that lists independent shops that have certified BMW mechanics? I don't really like the idea of trying to get yellow pages for all towns within 400 mile radius and just start calling.

Another story. I am in the BMW MOA anonymous book. About 3 weeks ago I got a call from a rider in Burns with an old K1000 that wouldn't start. He had checked fuel pump, spark, ect. He called me to see if I could help. I offered to load it up and take him to nearest dealer (Boise, ID 185 miles one way). He called them. They would not work on his bike for the reasons stated in comments above. None of their techs were trained or familiar with his bike. The dealership gave him the phone # of an independent who worked on them. While it burns me that they wouldn't work on his bike, I thought it admirable for them to know and refer him to another venue.

Red, See this thread. There is a file attached in it that has independent dealers.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=981601&Searchpage=2&Main=89377&Words=independent&Search=true#Post981601

Also this link:

http://www.ibmwr.org/dealers-independent.shtml