IGNORED

Wayward handling

DavidMantle

DavidMantle

First noticed last week a wandering effect in the handling when out with my wife. Had a good look this morning and it looks like my rear wheel bearing is U/S. Since I have an R1100RT and the bearing is part of the rear drive assembly I am wondering how difficult is it to replace?

First noticed last week a wandering effect in the handling when out with my wife. Had a good look this morning and it looks like my rear wheel bearing is U/S. Since I have an R1100RT and the bearing is part of the rear drive assembly I am wondering how difficult is it to replace?

Morning DavidMantle

When you say wheel bearing I assume that your are referring to the final drive L/H crown bearing?

If so, then the actual bearing replacement is not too difficult BUT the proper measurements & shimming of the new crown bearing takes some measuring tools & talent. (BMW manual calls for special tools so a work around is needed)

The replacement & shimming can be done with the drive still attached to the swing arm with only the drive cover unbolted & removed.

The above assumes ONLY the L/H crown bearing is bad-- if other internal bearings, or the pinion bearings, are also bad then it becomes much more complicated.

DavidMantle

Just bought, via Fleabay, a fresh low milage drive unit. Hopefully should be good to go when I receive it. My intentions would be to replace mine with this purchased unit then overhaul at my leisure the one taken off. If all being well I will change back to my original assembly with the sure and safe knowledge that I shall have no more trouble. Providing the bought unit is good enough I hope to sell it on, even at a loss, in order to recover some costs.

DavidMantle,

Good idea on the fleabay FD unit!!

Per what DirtRider said about "tools and talent", you might consider having the original unit completely refurb/rebuilt by someone with the expertise, and "T&T", now that you have some time to get it done and not miss the riding season. Shimming that pinion gear and bearings correctly requires a lot more expertise, experience, AND tools than most other repairs.

More info on this FD here: BMW FD article by Anton L.

I have seen several names mentioned here but don't recall them. Maybe someone here can recommend an FD expert.

Edited by Lowndes
DavidMantle

That is my intention - to refurb it. I used to refurb differentials when I was in the Army, many moons ago, so am not fazed by the prospect. Only asked because this is a new departure. If push comes to shove I could leave it at the dealers and get them to shim it for me.

Edited by DavidMantle

Good afternoon David,

Don't forget to inspect the pivot bearings in the swing arm. Replace them if your not sure. Part# 33172311729

Edited by njl4