IGNORED

Considering other options...

89quattro

Happy with my '04 1150RT, but I've got the itch for a new ride. Having some difficulty justifying the price of a new 1200 RT, especially after getting sticker shock when I visited my local dealer today, and comparing the price with some of the current killer deals on other makes.

New '16 and '17 Triumph Trophies are being offered at $12K - $14K, and I just spoke with an out of state dealer offering a new '16 Norge at $11K!

Decisions, decisions....

89:

On the Trophies, at least at our local dealership, start off cheap but when you add features that are standard on the BMW's (heated grips, cruise, ABS and so forth) the prices jump quickly. I priced out a new 2015 Trophy and when I got done, I was $1000 lower than a new RT. At least for me, when I am going to drop $20k+ plus on a machine, $1k is not something that will change my mind. I cannot afford new, thus why I own a used machine. You can find some really good, decked out used bikes with good mileage an dealerships for under $15k. If you are looking for something newer, that is a very viable and affordable route.

So far, whenever I go to a Triumph or Ducati dealer with a "cheap" entry price that is what they are offering, entry and very basic.

Just my 0.002 cents.

Happy Hunting

Mike

It is tempting to look at the Triumph, Yamaha, Kawasaki, even the Moto Guzzi. Before you jump, do your homework. There is a reason these bikes are cheaper. Read the reviews. Certainly little to no issues with reliability with the FJR and C14, but most of the others have limited dealer network and a less stellar reputation.

Used 2014 RT's are becoming rather affordable. I came from an '04 RT. All I can say is find a way to get one of the liquid cooled RT's!

DavidMantle

Ride what your heart wants but what you "sensible head" dictates. Does the bike satisfy your needs ( commuting, touring, sports usage etc )Budget and running costs? Local dealerships or home servicing? BMW`s are great all-rounders in my opinion but then again so are many others out there including Triumph. I love the Triumph but ride an 1100RT simply cause it is more versatile for my needs.

I had a 2014 Triumph Trophy. Nice bike, but it is not as good as my '17 R1200GS in any category except gas mileage. Triumph has discontinued the Trophy and as a result resale is in the toilet. I couldn't get $9000 for mine, less than 3 years old. The Norge for $11k would be compelling, but look at parts and service availability first. Good luck on your search!

There are options other than a new bike , I have seen 2015 RTs loaded , low millage and advertised $17,000 and left over bikes at a $3-$4,000 savings. If you truly like the 04Rt you own now ( I had an 04RT ,My first BMW and loved it for 90,000 miles in 4.5 years )I guarantee you'll love the RTLC . Take one for a test ride and you'll see what I mean . There are lots of good deals out there ,all you have to do is look for them.

The difference up front is even more so at back end when trading or trying to sell.

But, many good rides out there.

Best wishes.

Talk to the Triumph service mangager and get the cost to maintain it for 48k miles.

See what each service interval costs.

Then look for a clean 09-10 1200RT. (Ideally '10->)

Check the cost on that.

Bill_Walker
Happy with my '04 1150RT, but I've got the itch for a new ride. Having some difficulty justifying the price of a new 1200 RT, especially after getting sticker shock when I visited my local dealer today, and comparing the price with some of the current killer deals on other makes.

For the same reasons, I recently bought a pristine, fully-loaded '15 1200RT with only 8000 miles for $15,500 at a dealership. They're out there. Trade-in value on my '04 R1150RT was crap, though. But for me, it beat the hassle of selling it myself.

The new bike is amazing!

Good feedback all around, thanks.

The Norge fell by the wayside when I checked on the availability of dealers here in the NYC metro area for future service. No joy.

Went to my local BMW dealer yesterday for another look. They are a multi-line dealer that also carries Triumph, Ducati, and some Japanese brands. They only had a used Trophy in stock, and was surprised at the mass it carried, feeling very top heavy. Again, no joy.

Walked upstairs and spent some time going over an alpine white 1200RT. Looks a lot bigger than my 1150, but seemed to be surprisingly light for such a big boy. Major coin is still a problem...may start looking for a low mileage used model when the season ends.

Regardless, my ride home reminded me how capable the 1150 is for my needs...fair weather commuting to work a few times a week, some short hops thru central/northern NJ on the weekends. Only 17,250 miles on the clock so it's still got some life left in it. :grin:

Anyway, while I was at the dealer I stopped in the service area and inquired if they could replace a burnt out fog-light bulb without peeling off the tupperware and charging me for a couple of hours labor. Both of the service techs informed me that my bike doesn't have fog-lights. I explained that it does, and explained where they are located. They didn't buy it, and repeated their objections. Asked if they could look it up in the parts fiche to confirm my sanity, they replied to drive it inside and they would write up a repair order to "better understand the problem". I thanked them for their time, and said we can revisit it when I come in for my next major service, and left.

89:

If I recollect correctly, you do not need to take the tupperware off to change the fog lights, though Mr. Dirt Rider will be your guru on that. I think you can change the lights by just removing the mirrors, but again my multiple TBI's might be skewing the data.

Only 17,250 miles? The engine is not even broken in yet! On a side note, what price point are you looking at/for?

Mike