IGNORED

Front Fork Oil Drain Plug?

grant_quinlan

grant_quinlan

Hi all,

Just a long worded question. Thought I would consult the knowledge pool first before pulling things apart.

I recently changed the Fork Seals on my 2002 R1150RT, and while doing so I notice in one fork the oil looked to be contaminated with water.

On consulting the workshop manual, it shows a Fork Oil Drain Plug at the base of the Forks, now on a visual inspection I couldn't see anything that looked like oil drain plugs at the base of the forks.

So before pulling the front wheel off, can someone tell me if I am thinking correctly, in that theses fork oil drain plugs are recessed into the forks above where the wheel axle is seated?

The exploded view in the workshop manual doesn't really show there exact location, and after a couple of weeks searching the web and forums on and off, I haven't found anything relating to Fork Oil Drain Plugs.

Thanks in advance.

Grant

Edited by grant_quinlan
Hi all,

Just a long worded question. Thought I would consult the knowledge pool first before pulling things apart.

I recently changed the Fork Seals on my 2002 R1150RT, and while doing so I notice in one fork the oil looked to be contaminated with water.

On consulting the workshop manual, it shows a Fork Oil Drain Plug at the base of the Forks, now on a visual inspection I couldn't see anything that looked like oil drain plugs at the base of the forks.

So before pulling the front wheel off, can someone tell me if I am thinking correctly, in that theses fork oil drain plugs are recessed into the forks above where the wheel axle is seated?

The exploded view in the workshop manual doesn't really show there exact location, and after a couple of weeks searching the web and forums on and off, I haven't found anything relating to Fork Oil Drain Plugs.

Morning Grant

Yes, the drain plugs are recessed above the axle hole. No real reason to use them though as there is no good way to refill once drained.

I usually just remove the lower forks then tip them over to drain, then clean out the crud.

Just refill the lowers with proper amount then reinstall. (there are small fork air bleed screws at top of upper tubes that should be removed to allow excess air out then reinstalled once bike is sitting on suspension).

Also lower axle distance spacing should be set to 165mm before tightening lower attachment bolts.

xPG7ZPZ.png

Edited by dirtrider

The Telelever suspension is unique in that it's extremely easy to disassemble, without any clips or bolts holding the sliders on.

However, rather than disassemble, I find it just as easy to use a turkey baster and ~3 feet of plastic tubing to suck out the old oil — and an amazing amount of crud the first time I did it.

Permission to Hijack please?

At what interval should the oil be changed and what is the preferred lubricant?

thanks,

RPG

Morning Rick

At what interval should the oil be changed-- Best time is when the front end is apart for other work. No recommended BMW service time as there isn't any hydraulic valving in the forks. A good general time is when replacing the forks seals.

What is the preferred lubricant?--About any shock oil or even light weight motor oil or transmission fluid. As mentioned there is no valving or other hydraulic parts so all the fluid does is lubricate the sliding parts.

I love this board. I am new to the world of BMW and while I am aware of a front shock, I didn't think about the forks not having internals. I am learning a lot and I appreciate everyone's contributions.

grant_quinlan

Thanks DirtRider,

Thought that may had been the case. Did think I may had been able to refill the oil through the air bleed holes at the top of the telescopic tubes using a syringe and tubing that would fit into the air bleed hole.