IGNORED

multi-function switchboxes, water ingress in bad weather, clean or replace?

Alp Rider

My bike is usually parked outdoors. Today I started riding it and after a few turns I found the indicator cancel button was stuck. I could press it left or right, but pressing it in to cancel does nothing, it continues flashing left or right. (Pressing hazard on and off is a workaround)

It is an F800GT 2013 but the switchboxes look similar on many of the BMW bikes so people may have seen this problem on other bikes.

Checking the other buttons, I found the high/low beam button is also not moving well. The horn button appears to be OK, but looking in the search engine I found other people complained about similar problems with the horn button.

Has anybody ever taken a BMW switchbox from any of their bikes apart and cleaned it successfully?

I found a document showing how to completely replace the switch box. It advises not to open the switch box though.

I found other reports online about people who opened the switch box and cleaned it and felt it was improved.

My bike is usually parked outdoors. Today I started riding it and after a few turns I found the indicator cancel button was stuck. I could press it left or right, but pressing it in to cancel does nothing, it continues flashing left or right. (Pressing hazard on and off is a workaround)

It is an F800GT 2013 but the switchboxes look similar on many of the BMW bikes so people may have seen this problem on other bikes.

Checking the other buttons, I found the high/low beam button is also not moving well. The horn button appears to be OK, but looking in the search engine I found other people complained about similar problems with the horn button.

Has anybody ever taken a BMW switchbox from any of their bikes apart and cleaned it successfully?

I found a document showing how to completely replace the switch box. It advises not to open the switch box though.

I found other reports online about people who opened the switch box and cleaned it and felt it was improved.

Afternoon Alp Rider

I haven't ever been into one of those switches but I believe they are foil type switches so not much you can do to clean or repair them.

You might check with your BMW dealer as BMW extended the warranty on many of those new style switch assemblies.