IGNORED

What was your first bmwst.com experience?

russell_bynum

russell_bynum

David's announcement that he was passing the baton to Leslie got me thinking about how far we've come as a group. Then I started thinking about how all this began for me, and I thought it might be cool for us to share what our first experience with this group was.

And I mean REAL experience...where you met someone face-to-face, broke bread together, burned up some miles together, spun some wrenches, etc. Hopefully, these tales will ignite the passion in the people who are out there but haven't done anything with the group yet, and get them involved.

For me...it was Vegas Tech Daze. After reading all the great tales and looking at all of the phenominal pictures from the "Pied Piper" run up to the MOA Rally in Redmond, I got all excited and decided that I just HAD to make one of the gatherings.

Now, I'll say that I'm not a very outgoing person, typically. I'm very comfortable with a small group of friends, but I'm not the type of social butterfly who would walk up to a complete stranger and strike up a conversation.

Now, it just so happened that the next thing the group did, was Vegas Tech Daze at Gleno's place in Boulder City. It was an awfully long way from my house (300 miles) across the desert during the hottest part of the year, but my bike was coming up on 18K miles and I wanted to learn to service it since, at that point, I didn't know a valve adjust from a Throttle sync.

So anyway...I signed up and got all these excited responses from Gleno, Fernando, etc.

I bought a new Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket so I wouldn't burst into flames crossing the desert, strapped a sleeping bag to the back seat of the RT using about a 20' ratcheting tie-down strap (hey...it's all I had), and set out.

I wound up pulling into Gleno's about 2 hours later than I planned. And when I did pull in, I was immediately greeted by Gleno, who gave me a hug (WTF....I don't even know this guy and he's giving me a hug?) and cracked a joke that just about made Fernando wet his underoos. Then he said how everyone was worried about me since I was later than I said I'd be. (WTF....I don't even know these people and they're worried about me???)

15 minutes later, I'm sitting in the garage with about a dozen of my best friends, who I've known for many years. Well...that's what it felt like, anyway. That night, Denny kept me up WAY too late with tales of BSA's, Ducati's, and all sorts of amazing things.

Over the next two days, I learned all about working on my RT, with help from folks like Pilgrim, Big Mak, Sean Daly, Tom Roe, Gleno, Ford R, and a bunch of other great people. I didn't stop smiling the whole time, and most of the time, I was laughing.

The Bacon-wrapped shrimp and tri-tip at the Saturday night dinner were the best in the history of food. I sat with Sean and Shelly Daly who, I discovered, lived a stone's throw from us, and shared many of the same interests as Lisa and I.

I got a suspension tuning seminar from Master Yoda...who also offered me the keys to his brand new K1200RS. (WTF...this guy doesn't even know me and he's offering me the keys to his brand new bike???) I declined, but took him up on a lesson on what is now known as the Master Yoda Riding Position...which totally changed almost everything about the way I ride.

When it came time to head home, I hooked up with RickZ, Denny, and Brian T. My first group ride. We took a great back-roads route across the desert with a spectacular thunderstorm lighting up the sky in the distance. Just outside of 29 Palms, I was running 2nd behind Rick...when he sudddenly dissapeared. It had rained here earlier, and the dips in the road were filled with muddy water. Rick dissapeared into a wall of muddy water...which promply came down on my head before I had time to do anything. We rolled into the gas station in 29 Palms and nearly fell off our bikes because we were all laughing so hard...and totally covered in mud.

It took about 2 weeks for me to come down from the high of that weekend. Lisa, and all the people at work thought I was nuts. They just couldn't understand how I could have that much fun working on a motorcycle in a garage in the desert in the summertime.

I've made a bunch of other st.com gatherings since then...from ShortCut's Christmas Party, to a couple of UnRally's, to impromptu little group rides around SoCal. They all share the same sense of family, caring, and passion for motorcycling.

I really don't know where I'd be today if I hadn't found this group, and if I hadn't seen that awesome picture that Kris took of all the RT's blazing through the mist and been inspired to attend an event, but I'm really glad that I did. I've met some incredible people here, ridden some unbelievable roads, had a gormet meal in the middle of nowhere, fixed a broken throttle cable in a dark, cold parking lot (and had fun doing it), and learned a bunch about riding, and about people.

Here's the bike all ready to go.

DSCN0001.jpg

This was the scene Saturday morning with all the RT's lined up in Gleno's driveway. I believe we had every color represented.

DSCN0040.JPG

I didn't take many pictures that weekend since I was too busy having the time of my life, but to this day, I have certain points in the weekend frozen like a snapshot in my memory. Gleno giving me a hard time about being (by far) the slowest RT mechanic in history). Pilgrim leaning against Gleno's workbench watching the happenings (wearing a Harley shirt...which I'm sure he did just so he could say "Yeah....wanna make something of it?" thumbsup.gif ) giving advice on valve adjustments. Denny giving Tom the book that we all signed (not a dry eye in the house during that hug). Gleno's awesome dog Henny (RIP frown.gif ) trying to convince me I didn't REALLY need all of that hamburger. Brian nearly drilling a hole in his oil cooler while trying to install PIAA lights. Tom standing in front of the class saying "It ain't rocket science, guys.". And last but not least...riding sweep down highway 62 between 29 Palms and the Coachella Valley with 3 RT's turnin' and burnin' in front of me.

So let's hear it...what was your first event with this group, and how did it go? It can be a big event like an UnRally, or something small like meeting up with one or two other members for a ride, or a mini-tech daze. Let's share the love.

Francois_Dumas

Having the advantage of our GMT+ time zone, let me share mine first...... grin.gif

It was really funny, actually.

I found the board when trying to decide what motorcycle to buy (as my first one) back Summer 2004. I searched the internet for all sorts of info, and stumbled onto BMWST, as so many have done.

When I actually purchased the RT, I also started posting.... questions.... and some 'beginner's tales'.

Now.. I am in Europe (Holland) and the board is US based and 'centered'...... but with foreign particiapnts too.

The real funny thing is that through this 'far-away' group of people, I met my first riding buddy... who turned out to live only 15 miles from here !!! grin.gifgrin.gif That was 'Sir Erik'.

Long live the Internet ! thumbsup.gif

François

Kathy and Laney's great adventure. I asked them to stay at my place when I found out they would be in/near atlanta. Enjoyed dinner/wine/hot tub. They saved my life and Laney took that horrible pic in the am. grin.gif

After meeting my new sisters, I decided to head for gunny in order to meet Gleno and Wurty. After reading their posts I decided they were two charactors worth meeting.

I found them and 100 some odd of their friends. Since then, I have been lucky enough to meet about 600 or so more of the guys/gals on the site.

Many are hoping that I left all the silverware. tongue.gif

Doc47 and Dick Frantz tought me how to service the bike and I have been able to help a few others learn since then.

Can't remember if I've stayed with Eric F or Jamie/leslie or Tool the most but they and many others are the BEST! thumbsup.gif

Ride long/well/safe.

Paul Mihalka

Wow! Memories...

After many years (12) of riding K bikes which I loved, I switched to a new '99 R1100RT. My friends pulled my chain that it is about time I went back to the traditional boxers, but I said no, I am changing to Telelever! While browsing the internet, I hit on a site called bmwrt.com, put in place by a Cary Littell, in California. Hey, a place about the bike I just got, with people who love it and know a lot about it! I found that one of the participants I see about every week. It was "Spike" (John Spicer) who is one of the wonderful people who started out as a customer and became a close friend (I still sell BMW bikes).

I remember that some of my early postings were a argument with, of all people, Master Yoda Dick Frantz grin.gif. Of all things, it was a discussion on how to start and warm up a cold oilhead. After a very civilized discussion we agreed to disagree smirk.gif. That started a long distance friendship and respect. Another early memory is of PaperButt (Kathy, we miss you!) and Laney showing up at my place of work in MD with Laney's clutch on the last miles of it's life. Wow again! Two girls riding around the country on two big R11xxRT bikes! I love them!

Then there was Gunnison I. I never met so many guys and gals together who love to do what I love to do.

Another superb experience was when my bike broke down real far from home. I was riding from MD to the Unrally in Cody WY the long way, via Vancouver. My bike's rear drive started making expensive noises. I got into a hotel in Whistler. And now what? I phoned Spike, telling him about my predicament and gave him hotel and phone number. He posted it on this DB and in less than a hour I received phone calls from instant friends who were willing to help. In the end Pilgrim drove up from Seattle with a rented trailer and took me and the bike to his home. To make a long story short, my now ex bike is still running with Pilgrim's bike's rear drive on it. That event has proven that this is much more than a discussion board. It is a brotherhood thumbsup.gif!

What this place has done for me, is completely change my riding destinations. Before I just rode somewhere, maybe to a BMW rally where I may have met a few people I know, out of a thousand+. Now all my riding destinations are a BMWST event. Unrallies, Mayhems, Torreys, El Paseos. All of you are my best friends, my extended family. I can't thank enough all of you for that!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Heh. I found the site in fall '98, when I started doing research on this stunning bike I'd discovered on the web, the R1100RT. Back then it was www.bmwr1100rt.com. I registered in spring '99, shortly before (after?) I bought my RT in April of that year. It wasn't until February '01 when I actually met anyone from the site. That was when Shawn (Lone_RT_Rider), a fellow rider in the Detroit area, emailed me and invited me to the local club's Sunday breakfast. I had a nasty head cold and felt like crap, but I showed up anyway. It was worth it.

Things ramped up after that. We attended numerous local club breakfasts, often with his GF Rainy. We worked on bikes together. I drank vast quantities of his delicious homebrew. crazy.gif That fall, I followed him down to South Carolina, riding the famous Deal's Gap for the first time.

In summer of '02, we went to Knoxville, TN for the Honda Hoot. Attending the 4T (Tennessee Taste, Tech, & Trek, I believe) at David Baker's house in Nashville was almost an afterthought, but it turned out (by far) to be the better part of the trip. We met prolly a couple dozen site members, including several from the Chi-Town Crew who continue to be good friends; we enjoyed spectacular riding, awesome food, and our first Tech Daze. It inspired us to host the first Motown Tech Daze in spring '03.

Like the 4T, the Gathering in Gunnison (in July '02) was a real eye-opener; I met a huge number of people whom I had only known through display names and posts. I'm excited about returning and meeting even more good folks. thumbsup.gif

Mine wasn't that long ago....I can still remember how I felt and Louise yelling in my ear "How fast are we gooooing"..

On the way to DV we met up with "The Dry Town Crew" in 29 Palms and tried to follow them to DV. Our new leader was the "Sweeper" and I'm sure I kept her entertained. I think from now on the "Crew" will have to find a new sweeper.

Being the last to arrive is no place for our new leader

I think it would be better if Dick tells you about my first experience with "The Gang"

Quote:

I'd like to share a piece of correspondence - with parts kept I hope oppropriately private. I take the risk of that because I found so much of such deep value to me. I cannot withhold sharing it with you. For you have done, and so often do, things I see as just too beautiful for words. But, in tribute, I have to try. I would be so remiss were I not to.

Quote:

On another subject. I met many of the DB members [on a recent ride]. My wife and I we're very impressed. I don't think I could've hand picked a better group. Everyone was polite, positive and fun. I think the best way to desribed the group would be warm. I look forward to the next time we can join them. Maybe you'll be there too.

I could not believe how fast they road!!!!! Riding two up it was very challenging. We met up with [with the others] about 200 miles from [our destination]. After lunch I asked [the lead rider] how fast they like to ride. [They] said 75 to 80 was their normal crusing speed. I was comfortable with that so off we went with [a rider] right behind us as the "sweeper". 30 seconds later my GPS said 91mph and we were falling behind. The first left turn was marked 40mph as we approached the corner I was watching for brake lites to use as a marker, imagine my surprise when still going over 90mph no one used their brakes. I was the only one two up and on unfamilar roads and I could hear your voice in my head(even though I have never heard your voice) "RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE". I also have tried never to scare my wife or make her uncomfortable. This has worked for many thousands of miles. Getting back to the corner I downshifted using the engine to slow me down and when I could see the exit, accelerated up too 100 just to catch up. We then drifted way back for a long time so [my wife] could take pictures from the bike and knowing [the Sweep rider] had bike to bike with the riders out front I knew they wouldn't worry. We met up with them at the next turn got gas and road pto our destination] at sundown. I talked to [to the sweep rider] about it and they said they didn't mind, I'm not sure they would have said anything if they did. My idea of sporttouring has changed. It's a lot faster and not designed for 2 up. You spend most of your time looking out for the LEO.

Quote:

Hi,

Great to hear from you.

You know, I disagree somewhat with your assessment about Sport Touring. What you experienced is precisely Sport Touring: Each rider exercising their Skills and Judgment to elevated levels - That is Sport; Being "out there" in some far off Tour of more than a day, doing the Riding. Each Rider is alone in doing that, the manner in which they do that, how they manage that, the riding of their own ride - and the experiences that result for them personally. When Sport Tour is done as a Group, then there's the sharing of that, the love by each person for the doing of that by each other person. That, my dear friend, is the source of that core Respect, that profound Understanding, which leads to such deep Comradery, in the seldom experienced level of socialization following such a Ride.

It's genesis is in the Exertion, the exertion there in Sport. And hey, who ever said, with any level of understanding at all, that "Tour is easy", either? Much as with a community of Barn Raisers, there is individual striving, but also striving together. With the Riders of a group it's not each rider striving for speed, but rather each rider striving for their unique, personal satisfactions. It's from that kind of deep striving, exerting, that such deep feelings arise in each of us - The Rush, if you will.

At the end of the Ride, or even at a rest stop, when those strong feelings are expressed, openly shared, it cannot help but be seen they are held in common. And, it is from that realization, of commonality. that the Respect you experienced comes... And Trust.

And on it goes this treasured path. For now the door is opened to see into each person, on into the heart of each person, and therefrom gain understanding of them, and that it is they each one, from these each so very special people, that is made this most worthy band of peers.

This is our Sport Touring. Come here. Be here. Do this. I promise you, there will be Love - In its most sought after human form. And, we will be most unashamed and unrestrained in its sharing.

Best personal regards,

And, my warmest regards to you, the oh so special people who create such rides.

I hope to see you in Torrey.

rdf

Dick Frantz

--------------------

55719190-M.jpg

RichEdwards

It was Sept. 2002 and I just purchased the most beautiful BMW ever (the Silver '03 you see as part of the BMWSporttouring logo at the top of this page.) A computer search led me here and since then I've learned a lot, made some great friends (esp. this tall guy from Tallahassee), attended some wonderful events (El Paseo; Beer, Brats & Beemers; etc.) and met members from all over the country. thumbsup.gif

"Shortcuts" first Christmas Party in CA. About 60 neat folks. People flew in from afar. "Mr. Fusion" was there from Minnesota. "Big Mak" was Santa, or maybe that was Christmas party II. Then someone yelled out, "We need a Rally" thumbsup.gif

I poked around the site and originally signed up back in 2000, I think, using it mostly for advice on bike purchases, accessorizing, etc. Left that dormant for a long time, forgot my login info, etc.

It wasn't until I actually met Mark and David at a track day that the board actually became 'alive' for me. I think it was 2003 when I first met those two at Barber. As the few who actually RODE to a Keith Code school, we chatted about Beemers, applying sportbike skills to sport touring, whatever, but the board never came up.

The next year we met again at Barber, and I mentioned something I had read on BMWST. David said "yeah...I own that site". We had a laugh, but that's when it clicked for me that hey, these are real people, not just anonymous web ghosts who talk about riding.

I've been more active ever since...to El Paseo, Riding Smart, and hopefully many more to come. thumbsup.gif

Cheers!

CP

Well mine was Shortcut's Christmas party in 2001. You convinced me that I just HAD to meet these people, so off we went on a ride to NorCal with a bunch of people. We took one of Dick Frantz's twisty and beautiful routes through the country to get there. I met Montana Hoon, Laney, Brian and Meghan, Dick, Gleno, the lovely Teresa, and probably so many others that I am egregiously leaving out, for the first time. Had an awesome time! I remember my foot was dangling off the passenger peg (yes...at that time, I was just a passenger...this board inspired me to get in the rider's seat...but that's another post!) and it got dragged during a turn. We didn't have coms, so I hit you on the back of your helmet. You also took one turn too hard and dragged a hard part (can't remember what), and sent sparks shooting back into Steve (Montana Hoon's) bike. I remember at the stop he said "I though you were trying to set my bike on fire! And I thought she was going to beat you to death!" tongue.gif

At the party, we met Sam Gendler, Shortcut, BigMak, Tom Roe, and David, of course! I remember when David came to the door and someone said he was from Nashville. NASHVILLE? He came all the way out here from there?!?

I remember when David took the board, and I was asking who that was and you said "Remember that guy from Nashville that came to Shortcut's party?" thumbsup.gif

Some other highlights from that trip:

Meeting Laney, Teri and Meghan - can you believe we've been friends for 5 years now? (seems like shorter and seems like longer!)

Tom Roe in a rented Caddy, showing up at all the designated ride stops well in advance of the bikes. How did he do that? He left each stop later than us, but got to the next one faster? He's a Jedi I say...

Going to a small, mom and pop out of the way restaurant instead of a big touristy place for the first time. Now it is S.O.P for our rides. Then, it was a new thing for me.

Meeting Gleno - nuff said

So many memories!!

I'll have to dig up some pix later, but now I have to get to work! crazy.gif

I had such a good time on that ride, that when Cary's dealership had an openhouse the following April, I went...by myself! for some reason, Russell couldn't go, but I could, so off I went! Wasn't riding yet, so I drove up there, but nonetheless, these people were family now, and I wasn't about to miss a gathering.

As Kathy said after Gunny - I love all you people!!!

tickle_my_tummy

Russell - for me you guys are a long way away and at times I've wished you were just round the corner. It's easier to talk that way smile.gif I think some of the guys in the UK have met up and I will be meeting up with one of the guys in May. My guess is that the way it's going we'll all meet up sooner or later. Sorry I can't give you a great story but maybe next time smile.gif

In 2000, the company I worked for relocated to Irvine, Ca. As I rode into the parking lot that first day, I saw another R1100-RT parked at the business next door.

Keeping an eye out, I finally met up with the owner, Sean Daly, who introduced me to this board. What an eye opener!

Soon it was a 450 mile morning blitz up to Cary's BMW shop to join the the Pied Piper run to the Redmond BMWMOA rally. (The Kris Besley photo of all the bikes in a line is a classic!)

Next, Gleno's tech daze & BBQ.

From the unrallys to the Torrey events to the BBQs at Tool's to the tech days... It goes on...

What a great family!

The only thing I miss after moving from Southern California to Northern Nevada are all the great SoCal bmwrt.com/bmwsporttouring.com members and families that I can no longer interact with nearly as often as I wish to!

It was late April, 2001. I was coming back from an evening ride to the Snoqualmie Valley here in Washington. I'd had the RT for a couple months and had managed to squeeze in trips to SoCal and Denver, and lots of local stuff, total maybe 6,000 miles. I still hadn't connected with the bike, though, and frequently asked myself what a self-respecting Harley rider was doing on a furrin scooter. Every BMW rider in the world was still a stranger to me.

Running along State Highway 9 in the chill dusk, I looked into my mirror to see a bug-eyed set of headlights, one down and two BIG ONES up, running up behind me. That engaged my attention because I'd never seen it before - really weird looking in the mirrors, and even more so when looking at the bike. It was a pure case of function over form, though, one of my primary tenets, so I approved of it. The rider flagged me, so I pulled into the first parking lot I came to - and met Doug Quinnell.

Now keep in mind that Doug's an engineer, and the way you can tell an extroverted engineer is that he stares at the toes of your shoes instead of his own. Unless he rides a BMW, of course. Doug was positively exuberant over his bike, and a cool website he described to me - this one. He said I had to drop in there, so he wrote the name down for me and I've been here ever since.

I still haven't connected with the bike in any emotional way (although I may be softening toward it after five years - I actually stopped to look at it in the garage the other day, and wiped it down for no good reason), but I feel intensely connected to any number of people on this board. I made the Vegas Tech Daze that Bounce describes, and was as impressed as he was with it. And a couple Tech Daze at Old Rider's. And a Mayhem in 2002, where I met David, and the bash at his place that same summer, After riding with David twice that summer I have raised to three the number of people I'd ride with any place, any time, any conditions.

I've hosted a couple Tech Daze and found that members are a pleasure to have as guests: The place is cleaner when they leave than when we start, and there are inevitably more financial contributions to defray expenses than the expenses come to. No loud drunks and no obnoxious personalities (which is not so say no, uhhh, "strange" personalities. But I mean that in the best possible way, of course.) Hmmmm . . . maybe everyone should ride a BMW.

Fate seems to conspire against me attending any of the national get-togethers; I've had to blow off intended attendance at one or another at least three times. But I'm gonna keep trying - maybe this year at Gunnison.

Ride on, brothers and sisters.

thumbsup.gif

Pilgrim

I was on the edge of getting out of motorcycling when I found this place. I was frustrated because I couldn't get my R1150GS dialed in, and the local club scene was pitiful. I met someone at the local dealership who pointed me to this place, telling me "Even though you ride a GS, I'm sure you'll squeak your way into the site!" tongue.gifgrin.gif

I don't remember my first on-line experience here, but I do remember what cemented "the deal" for me, and kept me riding.

I decided to do my first-ever trip out of Indiana, and I did it by myself! It was down to Tennessee for El Paseo I, a trip that would prove very interesting, very scary, but satisfying and fun, fun, fun!

The day I left for Cherokee was sunny and in the 40s in Indy, and I thought, "Hey, I'm heading south, so the weather can only get better and warmer!" Uhh... No...

By the time I got to Knoxville, it was 31, the nasty rain that I had been riding in for four hours was turning to sleet and then snow. By the time I got to Pigeon Forge, the sleet/snow was heavy snow and I learned (when I got to the barricaded road) that the pass over to Cherokee was closed due to 10" of snow on top, with a semi jackknifed. I was a rookie long-distance rider and wasn't remotely prepared for that experience -- no rain gear, no heated clothing, natta. eek.gif

I found a hotel in Gatlinburg, called David on his cell (he and Hawkins and many others were watching the Weather Channel somewhere, laughing their asses off at those of us rookies who chose the direction we chose to come to Cherokee -- well, I'm almost sure about this scenario teeth.gif) and told him I was stuck, and would have to ride around the mountain in the morning. He chuckled, told the other guys and then told me "Good luck!" and hung up. (Okay, he didn't do that, but it makes for a better story. grin.giftongue.gif). I found my way to to El Paseo I by noon the next day.

As a side-note: I had heard all the stories about The Dragon / Deal's Gap, but had no idea where it was. On my way to Cherokee, I made a stop at a gas station to warm up and get a snack. While I was there, I asked the guy if he knew where this "Dragon" ride was. He asked me what direction I came from and then laughed and told me that I just rode it! Hmmm... Cool! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

That was it. That was the experience that sealed the deal for me and my motorcycling life, and it was the weekend that I met, what would become, some of my closest friends -- not only in motorcycling, but in life.

Since then, I've attended all but one of the El Paseo weekends, all but one UnRally, several RidingSmart weekends around the country, the Ely trip, and I've got a big list of trips I want to do, including Torrey, Mayhem, various tech days, etc.

I put this place in the "top-five" good things that have happened to me during my first 47 years, because of what it has given back to me.

Trucker Kev

I first found this board in 2001. I had a GS back then and I was looking to replace it with an RT. I got the RT in 2003 and wanted to learn how to work on it myself, so I signed up for a Tech Daze. It was held at Jim Brink’s AAA place in Diamond Bar, CA. Many out-of-towners were staying at a hotel down the street. I pulled into the hotel parking lot and parked next to several other bikes. I walked into the lobby carrying a side case in one hand and my helmet in the other when I was approached by a weathered looking old man (sorry Marty! grin.gif) who said, “Are you here for the Tech Daze?” Rubbing the road drool out of the corners of my mouth I said, “Yea.” The stranger replied, “Well put your stuff down and meet us at the bar.” That was a late night.

I was mostly a spectator that weekend, blown away when I saw just how invasive some guys get into their bikes. In one corner was half a bike with its guts hanging out and I.V. tubes hooked up it. WOW! Everybody got their rides back together and said goodbye on Sunday.

I left with a newfound knowledge of how my motorcycle works, a pair of ear plug speakers on order (thanks Al), a BMWRT.COM tee shirt (thanks Leslie), and a WWMHD sticker (I’m not sure how I ended up with the last one, but it’s still on my bike). thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Kevin

I remember when I found this board, shortly after uncrating my RT. After that, I moved a few times, met some people here and there, rode together and attended a couple tech days. It was all good fun and along the way I've made some friends that I genuinely connect with, but for me there wasn't one moment where the lightning struck. Maybe that just means I don't yet "get it." Wouldn't be the first time...

I found BMWRT.COM when Cary was still in control. I was surfing try to decide between a Honda ST, BMW RT, Triumph Trophy, or.... I wouldn't say the board made the choice for me but it clarified a number of things, and as it turned out, most of which were not machine related. What I found here is that in general the folks on this board are a good lot with tons of experience and knowledge and a willingness to share it. It has been a place where Nubes and Diehards can interact and even find new friends with common interests. Come to think of it, BMWSportTouring is the only sight I visit regularly. What started as a site to research a purchase has become much more for me. In closing what stands out is the stability on membership participation and continuous improvement of the product. What a great legacy for David and others to pass on to Leslie.

You guys can blame Fernando for my presence!

I had had GelStra for a few months and had been led to some communistic adventure rider site eek.gif by a guy I met in a paint store. (Note to self: Never take advice from a guy in a paint store! grin.gif) I liked having a place to research things, but the atmosphere bugged me a bit. I'm no saint but the profanity was a bit much.

So I toddle in to see Fernando for what I'm SURE was a great use for my kids' college fund and I happen to mention this "other" site to Fernando. He understood my concerns and handed me a BMWST card and said to check it out. "A much more civil bunch of people."

COOL! So I got up the nerve to pose my first question. .

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Huh?!! OK, Paul, breathe. They're just razzing the new guy!

I recovered but you folks came blame yourself for my tongue-in-cheek nature. It's all your fault! teeth.gif

(I actually loved it and felt at ease immediately.)

Next came Steve Carr(STEVES1150) who casually PM'd me that the locals (or is that locos?) should unite for a ride. He puts out a thread calling for riders to join us and the possie arrived, freezing, half asleep, and blinded by the morning sun. Met Master Yoda, roydog007, Dennis Andress, and pdegnan (and his tipsy Light Truck!). Friends immediately and the razzing continued!

I've loved every minute of this and thank you all for putting up with me. (I'd hate to have to bottom fish in "Yo Momma!")

I was a lurker for a few months before joining the end of summer 2001. The following May I sent a post looking to see if anyone from the NW was interested is riding to the 49'er Rally in Auburn, CA. Got only 1 response, Doc47. Doc still had his practise going back then and couldn't leave town until early afternoon. We met at a gas station outside Tacoma. As we were heading out, Doc asked me how fast I like to ride, and I stated that I was comfortable crusing around 80. Off we went. Fifteen minutes later we were both pulled over on the side of the road getting written up with tickets. That was the start of a great friendship. We continued on and stopped in Albany to meet up with the infamous Big Mak and Graydog for dinner at an "All You Can Eat" Chinise Buffet.

That day I met Doc, Big Mak, and Graydog. Three guys that have made my motorcycling hobbie so much more than just riding bikes. thumbsup.gif

My first bmwst.com related experience was meeting other Oz members from this board who have become very close friends.

This board has made the BMW motorcycle world much smaller.

Bill_Walker

My riding buddy, a lifelong cruiser rider, having absorbed from me a few tips I picked up at Code's, had discovered the Joy of Cornering and was thinking about a more sporting ride. On a trip to NorCal, we stopped in at Marin BMW. I noticed some BMWST.COM stickers around the place, and then went over to the computer they had in the showroom and had a look see for myself. Came here, found it to be the best online experience I'd ever had, and swapped my Road King for an '04 RT that was advertised here.

Not long after that, Gregori hosted a San Diego TechDaze and I attended. Met some of the folks, had a good time, learned a few things. Good fun. Now, I've never been much of a "joiner", don't like crowds, and had never considered attending a motorcycle rally. But somebody here posted pictures from Torrey, and I decided I had to go. Dick was kind enough to show a bunch of us first-timers the way (Torrey IX, I think? Spring '05, anyway). And Torrey was amazing. As others have said, I got hugs from soon-to-be-ex-strangers, felt the love, rode the ride, and had a fabulous time. Since then, I've managed to hit Jamie's Remembrance Ride, DV, another TechDaze, and a few of Gregori's fRIDEdays, and I've yet to meet anyone who wasn't friendly, open, polite, and fun to be around. You guys are great!

It bums me to say that I only found this august place surfing the net looking for support for my year and a half old bike.

Would really like to meet some of you in person ('cept for you of course Keith ' cos I already have) and join in the fun and comraderie that abounds.

Will be off on the '06 Safari next week. Hope to bump in to a few 'locals'.

Cheers

Web search IIRC, back in April 2003. I was learning about boxers and researching my decision to buy a new, big boxer as a first bike (bad one, now I know) and research about the model I found for a cheap price, a R1150RS. Then got into reading about other people's experiences, riding techniques (being a newbie!), learning to wrench on them, discussing pros and cons, etc, etc...

Sadly only chance I´ve had to meet a few members was in an Atlanta tech daze - great fun, learnt a big deal and got an unexpected surprise:

DSC01770.JPG

My bike ran soooo smooth afterwards that I could adjust my own valves and balance my throttle bodies.

After that, I´ve been happy to meet a few members who have come through BCN. Only one I have ridden with was Mark Coffey.

Now more in lurking mode mostly, but this has (besides the IRC chat channels back in early 90's) the online community I have enjoyed the most.

Regards all,

Juan Miguel Venturello

My first experience echoes much of what Russell said. I had this 3 month old R1100RT and had been a member of the board since slightly before that when I was researching what bike to buy. My safety gear consisted of a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, blue jeans, hiking boots and gloves, although I did have a full face Arai helmet so at least I was doing something right.

The Vegas Tech Days sounded like a great place for me to learn more about the bike, maybe learn how to do some service on it and meet some of these other BMW riders as I did not know anyone else with a BMW motorcycle. I had never ridden any farther than the local mountains all of an hour away so it seemed like a great excuse to set out on my first road trip on a motorcycle.

All my friends said I was crazy for going. They said I'd either end up on a missing ad on the side of a milk carton because the group of people I would be meeting were all Hell's Angels types or that something would go wrong while doing the service on the bike and I'd be stranded in Las Vegas needing a trailer to get the bike home.

It was one of best experiences I ever had. All the people were great. Making long term friendships with people that I had no idea I would still be friends with 5 years later or for that matter have them in and at my wedding or be calling them minutes after our son was born to tell them the good news.

The ride home was incredible. I had never been on a group ride, let alone ridden through walls of flying water and mud through the desert at night and had those friends to share the experience with. Like Russell, when I got home I couldn't stop thinking about what a great weekend that was between riding, wrenching and making new friends. I remembered Fernando trying to talk me into joining them on the next trip to this magical place named Torrey that they were going to a month later. From that point on I was hooked and had to feed my addiction of riding to far off places to meet you hooligans.

Until reading Russell's write up, I forgot about how many of the people we broke bread with that weekend and wrenched on each others bikes helping each other out. So many people that over time have moved away or moved on to other things and are no longer in touch. It's too bad we can't have a family reunion and see a lot of those faces and hear those voices we haven’t for a while. Although, I guess the Unrally is kind of like a family reunion.

Thanks again to all who make the bmwst.com experience what it is!

Sometime in 2000, shortly after buying my RT, I sat in Cary's office (on the floor) while we talked about redesigning his original web site and creating something that had more depth... and added a community.

All started with a simple question, "Kris, any guess on how many RTs have been sold in the US?"

Life has changed significantly since, I don't get to ride much beyond the 160 mile commute, and I definitely don't get out enough beyond the regional boundries... yet all those that I have met along the way will always remain the closest of friends.

Hope everyone is having an awesome day.

The first time I met board members was at a Tech Daze hosted by Rainy and Shawn at their home. It was run by Shawn and Mitch (Johnny Quest, Son of Mitch, Joe Frickin Friday, or which ever spirit has taken him over today). They used my bike to demonstrate the 12,000 mile service on an 1150RT. They supervised me while I did the service, and I learned a lot about my bike that day. I had a great time, and met some really nice people. I hope to meet more board members in the future.

russell_bynum

All my friends said I was crazy for going. They said I'd either end up on a missing ad on the side of a milk carton because the group of people I would be meeting were all Hell's Angels types or that something would go wrong while doing the service on the bike and I'd be stranded in Las Vegas needing a trailer to get the bike home.

Same here.

Them: "You're going to ride a motorcycle 300 miles across the desert in the summertime to stay with some guy you don't know along with a bunch of people you 'met' on the internet to work on your motorcycle?"

Me: "Yep."

Them: "Dude...don't drink the KoolAid." crazy.gif

ericfoerster

It was 10-02 in Torrey, Utah. Things have not been the same since.

I met Eric R, Russell & Lisa, Gleno, Marty, Fernando, Laney, Kathy, Dick, Brain T, Leslie and Jamie, Howard, Al, and so on.

I spent the next two days ripping across UT-12 at speeds my GPS could not even keep up tongue.gif

I was hooked and it just keeps getting better thumbsup.gif

chuck.jpg

"All my friends said I was crazy for going. They said I'd either end up on a missing ad on the side of a milk carton because the group of people I would be meeting were all Hell's Angels types or that something would go wrong while doing the service on the bike and I'd be stranded in Las Vegas needing a trailer to get the bike home."

When I told my wife I was meeting Steves1150 in Austin and driving to meet Eric and Darrell for Dinner my wife said who are they......I tried to explain they were some guys I met on the internet confused.gif

I told her "I'm too ugly to get raped"..... relax

Then when I told her about meeting the Lawman for lunch 200 miles from the house in the middle of nowhere she said....."The Lawman....was he one of The Village People...."

She met the Lawman awhile later and now she thinks he's one of the Marx Brothers.....

Whip

september 2004..traded my montana for the 2004 RT. did a web search and found this site. lurked for a bit then joined. initally learned about wear-in and oil.

finally last summer co-organized a get together at mt.dora near orlando thru this site and had about 50 riders show up. did another last thanksgiving in ocala forest (1st annual biketurkeyfest) and had a larger turnout. met some great folks. travelled to savannah for the annual shindig in 12/05 and then cedar key in 1/06. met more great people. this site, it's sharing of knowledge and ability to organize a get together has made me a bunch of new friends and helps me get thru the day...most days. thumbsup.gif

beemerman2k

I joined in Summer of 2000 after lurking for several months. I was interested in buying an R1100RT so I scanned this board to see if I might like this bike. I remember you, Kris, from back in those days. What ever happened to Shortcut?

I have always enjoyed this web forum and I still have my "BMWRT.COM" sticker on the saddlebag of my RT. Oh yeah, I still have "BMWRT.COM" tee-shirts, too!

Kris, were you the one who did a SS1K with Fernando all on an R1100RT with a stock seat?! ooo.gifooo.gif And were you the one who posted pics of the scraped engine guards from you RT due to some rather aggresive cornering? And were you the one who posted pics of when you went down on your black RT on some lonesome canyon road? I remember you saying that the worse part was that you felt you violated the trust of friends and family who trust you will ride safely and come home in one piece. I never forgot that sentiment and it motivates me to ride safe when I'd rather be a bit more wreckless.

Man, these incidents happened years ago, but for some reason I still remember reading of them on this site.

I came across this site on a search for BMW m/c information after purchasing my ’02 R1150RT. It was “blurple” as Kathy R. pointed out. thumbsup.gif

I just sat here lurking, taking in all the information I could. I learned a new word…farkle!

You mean I have to buy more stuff for the scoot, and it isn’t chrome plated?

My first real experience here involved my request to ride out to the Wisconsin Dells Rally with another person ( anyone?...anyone?). I figured it might be nice to ride out there w/ someone, as it was TWO HUNDRED FIFTY friggin’ miles away…something could happen in all those miles. smirk.gif

Well, it wasn’t long before G Floyd (Gary Peterson) PM’d me, graciously volunteering to ride out there with this noob. He did a fine job riding out, and when there, introduced me to some of the people he ran into out there. There were some Minnesota locals, and even some guys from ChiTown. Wow, this is FUN!

We found some roads that were really nice, and they weren’t interstates. grin.gif We hooked up with a group from the Twin Cities riding home…taking in Wildcat Mountain....hee-haw! They had on funny “space man” outfits that said Aerostitch on them.

Gary and I have become very good friends, and we seem to think alike on the road. We have now been to Eureka Springs (where I saved his a** from a snake!) and Cody together, and this year it’s going to be Gunnison, and our second Betty’s ride to Ely (along w/ many weekend rides, I hope). We have drank waaaay too much java at Betty’s going over maps. Barb and Paulette get along really well together.

So my first by-chance meeting a board member here has turned out wonderfully.

I took in another noob here, (Bill J.) when he posted for someone to ride with, and now Bill, Gary, and I all ride very well together. Just not enough at times!

My point is that I would not have met Gary or Bill w/o this board. And in truth, I just used this example as a focus point. I have met so many friends since being here, I would not even attempt to name all of them, lest I forget ONE! Barb is really warming up to the longer rides...if I keep her comfy, and un-stressed!

Many of you rode some pretty good distance to assure me that this board would support my little idea of a ride in our Northern Minnesota wilderness, after a meet at Betty’s Bikes and Buns. Thank You all! It was a first for me to try and organize something along those lines, and we really appreciate your support.

I have laughed with you all, and have even been able to bring a smile to some of your faces w/ a sick joke or two. I have shed a tear with your sorrows, as you have helped me through some of mine.

A funny story:

As a noob here, I was amazed at some of the spelling I found here. I, of course never mis-spelled anything!

Sew, eye tiped a paragraff that eye thaught wuz pretty funni, yew no, lyke this.

Well, I was put into my place pretty quickly, and learned my lesson. I did not want to “Daniel” outta here, so I have tried to behave since, with varying degrees of success smirk.gif

What a board this is. I hope to meet more new faces this year, and re-live memories with all the people I have met so far.

Come on spring...see ya all this year.

thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

I had 2 first bmwRT.com experiences, one before I knew about the site, and the other after.

First one first. It was Winter/Spring 2001, I had just turned 50, and I was thinking about getting back into motorcycling after a 16 year lay-off. My brother was living in Coronado, CA at the time, and I was visiting him. Sitting in the living room, I hear this motorcycle pull up. I walk over to the window and see a beautiful red R1100RT parked across the street, but the rider was gone already. I walk across the street, take a good look at it, and decide this is the bike I have to have. Eventually, I heard the bike pull up again, I went running down to the street, and found this crew-cutted Marine-type guy (turns out he was a Marine Harrier pilot) getting off of the bike about to go into his house. I stop him, we talk about his bike, he tells me it's fantastic, I tell him I'm going to get one, and I hope we meet up on the road. A short while later, I find bmwrt.com while doing a search, buy my RT, and eventually come across this guy on the board by the name of Jim Moore, Marine pilot, living in Coronado, red RT. I think Jim and I met up again at one of the next Torrey's. But I'll always remember that it was Jim and his bike that turned me on to my RT, and he was the first person I met from the board, even before I was on the board.

My second experience involved Gleno, the second person I met from the board. I became a member in June 2001 just before I bought my 2000 R1100RT. Gleno was one of the more vocal personalities on the board (surprise), and when I mentioned I was going through Vegas on my way to the MOA Rally in Redmond, he told me to stop by his place. I stopped by, had some coffee, looked at this shop (Garage Majal), and we agreed to try to meet up at the bmwrt.com BBQ at the rally. I continued on to Portland, met friends from Chicago, rode all around the northwest, finally ending up in Redmond on a rainy afternoon the day of the BBQ. I decided I had enough riding in the rain, so I called it a day. Looked around for bmwrt folks and Gleno the next couple days, but didn't run into them. Left Redmond and continued on my 6000 mile 11 day 10 state trip (mostly solo, and my first MC trip since 1985). When I got home I logged on to the board and found a thread with numerous posts asking "Where's PhillyFlash?", "Has anyone seen PhillyFlash?" started by Gleno. I was amazed, and touched, by the concern from a fellow rider, who I barely know, who was worried that I may have met with a mishap and was trying to be of help. (This was also when we decided to start the rider check-in after rides, just to be sure that we all made it safe and sound.) It turned out that this was more than just an isolated incident for Gleno. He often has shown great concern for the welfare of his fellow riders, helping out whenever and however he can, even so far as taking a trailer 300 miles away to rescue a couple of stranded riders (Shelley and Angie), who again he barely knew, on a moments notice. But what I took from that experience with Gleno was the love that you really can feel from the members of this board. Realizing that there were many members concerned about what may have happened to a fellow rider, and so many people on the look-out for me, just to be sure that I was OK, showed me that this truly was a special place. Many more have found out for themselves just how special it is.

So thank you Jim and Gleno, for being here at the beginning of my years at bmwrt/bmwst.com, Cary, for still being in charge of the site when I first joined, and David, for taking us to where we are now. There have been a lot of growing pains as we've gone from 1039 members when I joined, to well over 10,000 members now. The board may be different than it was then, but if you look around, you'll find the same caliber of members, new and old, as we had back then. It's always been about the members, and it still is.

I strolled on in Oct of last year, I had found this site approx a year ago but never actualy joined up. I was kind of a lurker type to get info. But I fell victim when I seen how much info I received in this forum.

The only experience I have had with other members was when I was invited by Angie and Shelly to go for a ride to Kerney. That was when I meet PhillyFlash (thats another thread) and a few others in the ride.

I can say that, that was the first time I have been involved with a forum and actualy meet anyone from a forum. It was very cool !!

steve.foote

Russell, what a fantastic thread. I can't help but smile as I read these stories.

The very first time I met someone from this board was during the 2003 Iron Butt Rally check point in Lake City Florida. Quite by accident I ran into Tim O’Donnell, Rich Edwards and Michael Cortez. Frankly, at the time I didn’t know them and when they asked if I was on the board, and what my nickname was, it was obvious that they knew who I was. I kind of gave them that terrified deer-in-the-headlight look and ran for cover. blush.gif

Fast forward a month and I’m on my new conquest to travel 1500 miles through five states in five days (yeah, I know, it was a big deal at the time tongue.gif). The second to last leg took me from my Dad’s house in Spring City Tennessee to Enterprise Alabama for the first annual Beer, Brats and Beemers hosted by the gracious Steve and Su’sanne Hebert.

As I approached Steve’s house, I was terrified. Though I had chatted with several members on the board beforehand, I was very uneasy about meeting someone hundreds of miles away from home, in a strange city. I remember thinking, "well, if it doesn't work out, I'll just take off and all will be well."

The first person I met was Marty Hill. If there is any one person you want to be the first person you meet, it’s Marty. It was like meeting a god. And, like may others who have met Marty, we have developed a special friendship which I value greatly.

Soon afterwards, Steve arrived home from teaching young guns how to wrestle US Army helicopters, and he and his lovely wife Su’sanne prepped for onslaught of BMW bikers to come.

It was a tremendous experience. I met dozens of members that weekend. Many of which have developed into close friends with over the years. It was everything I had hoped for and nothing like I feared it might be. To say these are the nicest bunch of people you will ever meet is an understatement.

Since that “first contact,” Silvia and I have attended a multitude of El Paseo’s, RidingSmart’s, Tech Daze’s, Cedar Key get togethers, BB&B II and III, the Un Rally in Virginia, a couple of events here in Savannah and a variety of trips here and there.

A couple of years ago, our family was enjoying Christmas up at my Dad’s place in Tennessee and we had a nice dinner in Knoxville with Kenny Haynes, his lovely SO Grace, Phil Fusion and Jim Williams. After dinner, my oldest son remarked, “Dad, you know someone everywhere we go.”

Yep, that’s BMWSportTouring.com. cool.gif

I bought my RT in last summer and did a web search on the R1100RT. I followed to link to BMWST. David was posting the Nashville Smart Riding class had room, and I jumped in. I met some great folks at the smart ride.

David, Mark Davis, Tasker, Chris Kinney, Randy, Macamoose, Husker red, Shovelhead Ed, rightspin and too many others to name. The class was awesome, the instructors exceptional and one of my best experiences with any group I have ever been associated with.

This forum rocks!

Alan

I joined in the summer of 03 after finally getting my much dreamed of Boxer. I enjoy this site so much as well as the great community of riders. I trust I will meet many more of you in the future though my life tends to be busy enough to make it difficult to keep up on my posts!! I met Jamie and Leslie January of this year while visiting in San Diego. Sadly without my bike. My father and I were working on a show called Triple Espresso and we got the chance to catch lunch and the show together. It was quite brief but wonderful to meet them. I look forward to riding with them sometime in the future and perhaps stealing his Russel Daylong... grin.gif Your lucky I didn't just fire your bike up and run for it Jamie!! teeth.gif

659764-LeslieDadNMeSanDiego06.jpg.c7c045b1f5904681e5bfe12152a6f297.jpg

russell_bynum

“Dad, you know someone everywhere we go.”

Yep, that’s BMWSportTouring.com.

That's so true. We'll be talking about something at work and someone will mention some far-away place. Almost without fail, at least one forum member pops into my head when I think of that location. I regularly use phrases like "Our friends from Georgia" or "Some riding buddies from Texas", etc.

We really are blessed.

russell_bynum
We really are blessed.

More like lucky!

Lucky that we can stand your arse...

grin.gif (I need that winky-eye right now!) ;-)

Don't make me come over there.

thumbsup.gif

After belonging to the BBS for almost a year, I purchased the Y2K 11RT in April 00. Terri and I had done several long rides on it alone.

Our FIRST connection with anything RT.com related was with Wurty. Yes Wurty. We met up with him at the TOR Rally in Paonia in July of 00....and Ima ruined man since. I was a Sunday school teacher before that weekend with Wurty. Now, it'sdifficult to stay out of jail (and pastures). eek.gif

I can say that was my 1st. I could never, ever put a finger on the best. I have had more fun, with more people, since that very 1st contact than I would've ever imagined possible. I have made so many events and rides. I have hugged so many people. It's just amazing the turns life made due to buying that bike. I could never number the real world, life long friends I've made here. I've been in the weddings of 2 great friends and great riders. I've been on airplanes to countless places, countless times. I've laughed til I cried more times than I could count. I've cooked, and hosted, and chased broken bikes. I've ridden more miles, and learned more about riding and doing it safely than I realized possible. This 1st lifelong BMWST.com experience has been a life changing event for my bride and myself. Ad infinitum....

I CAN honestly say that my favorite thought(s) when I look back are simply the fact that I've been able to make a few of you laugh out loud. Maybe even more than once.

My thanx to Cary, DB....and every mod and admin that have been with us through the years (and not throttled me for some of my mistakes here).

Pimp topic Bounce. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I moved to the Atlanta area in 1989 and began riding again. I would occasionally hook up with my brother in South Carolina, but mostly rode alone. I considered selling my motorcycle. My wife even commented that I had few friends.

When I purchased my RT several years ago, I was surfing the web to learn more about my new ride and found the board. I registered and made my first post. Within a day, I got a call from a guy named Randy. He wanted to come by with his wife (Cathy) and son (Ryan). Next thing I know they are in my kitchen. I come in and my wife tells me there are some people here to see me. I asked her was it the IRS! blush.gif

Since that day my life has become enriched. After Randy Ehteridge, I met Mark and Christine Davis, Chris Kinney, Steve Foote, Bob Foley, Steve McElduff, and other generous, knowledgable, fun people. I learned how to ride better, take care of my bike, farkles, great roads, and good times. Some of the above even scraped me off the pavement on Hwy 60 when I lowsided my Hayabusa.

My best friends are my riding buddies. thumbsup.gif

In the immortal words of Henry V:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he today that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition.

Thank You David and BMWST for enriching my riding experience and my life.

For me it was the infamous Redmond BBQ in 01 with Shortcut and all. I was the one with the antique Sportster (good riddance!). That was a turning point in my adult life, thanks to my uncle, George Brown.

russell_bynum
For me it was the infamous Redmond BBQ in 01 with Shortcut and all. I was the one with the antique Sportster (good riddance!). That was a turning point in my adult life, thanks to my uncle, George Brown.

I still remember the first time I (sorta) met you. A group of us (Me, Gleno and Teri, Brian and Meghan, Big Mak, and I'm not sure who else) left Short Cut's for a tour of various Bay Area attractions. As we were pulling out onto one of the main roads, we came across you and Vrommie. For some reason, this sticks in my head...you said "I'm Fasterpill" and Gleno said "Yes you are!"

grin.gif

My experience with this board started when I was in a gas station fillin my cage and someone rode up on a K75. Shiny Red and looking fast, we struck up a conversation while the family waited & waited & waited in the car. He shared with me this site and sadly I don't recall his name. I had just upgraded to a 1100Rt from a R65 and was searching for a group of like riders.

Nonetheless, it opened a whole new world to me, filled with great people that share common interests, values and respect the opinions of all.

Met Eric AKA Sweatpea, Jed and RRich when we rode down to San Juan Capistrano for a TECK Daze and my life was further enhanced. Spent some time working on bikes with these guys, but haven't spent much time ridin together.

Recent Lighthouse Tour was my first trip with this group and it was everything anyone could ask for.

This site has enriched my life and hopefully made me a better person and definitely a better rider.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution. thumbsup.gif

Getting hugged by both Laney and Kathy when I dismounted at the Chuckwagon (Torrey IV). I didn't know who they were, nor anyone else assembled there for that matter, and when Kathy asked me what my board name was, I was, like, no comprende... See, Michael Simpson just asked if I wanted to go for a weekend ride to Utah, and I said "sure." I had never heard of bmwrt.com, but shortly after the weekend was over, I signed up.

Seems like a long time ago, but I guess it hasn't been that long.

That was the Christmas party that I had to trailer Vroom Hilda to. Set it up like a Harley on the side stand and bent the snot out of it.

Learned a few things since then. And got some speed awards...

Remember that insanely wonderful ride Sam took us on thru the hedge country of Napa?

russell_bynum

Remember that insanely wonderful ride Sam took us on thru the hedge country of Napa?

I went on the "other" ride that day, so I missed Sammy's ride. frown.gif We did a Bridge Tour or something like that. Lunch at Bodega Bay, a visit to Marin BMW, across a bunch of bridges, etc.

Archived