IGNORED

Front brake light switch replacement

Tracy B

I need to replace my front brake light switch as the metal piece that activates the switch has broken and fallen off.

I have a new switch already. Any tips on how to remove the old and replace it with the new one?

Thanks

I need to replace my front brake light switch as the metal piece that activates the switch has broken and fallen off.

I have a new switch already. Any tips on how to remove the old and replace it with the new one?

Afternoon Tracy B

A couple of ways to go on this one.

The switch comes off the handlebar combination housing easily (just one little screw to remove the lower cover) then just unscrew the switch & remove it. (this is the easy part)

Hard part is finding & disconnecting the switch connector. That is under the fuel tank & needs plastic removed as well as fuel tank either removed or at least lifted up & slid back.

OR-- a lot of riders just cut the old switch wires then cut the new switch wires then make a splice between the two then cover with heat shrink tubing.

If you have the electrical supplies, splice clips, heat shrink, & soldering ability then a real sanitary splice can be made.

If you don't have the above then splicing (correctly) might be more difficult & take longer than lifting the tank & unplugging the old switch then plugging the new one back in.

The might be a 3rd option- if the new switch has a lever exactly like the original switch & the original switch still has the tits that the lever pivots on then you might be able to remove the lever from the new switch & put it on the old switch then squeeze it just a little so it is tight but still pivots OK.

If you go the soldering route, don't put the two splices next to each other. Much better to stagger them a couple of inches apart.