IGNORED

Coil Pack Question

joeyjamb

After seeing my new bike idle a little low I was concerned that I had a bad coil. So I got a spark tester and the left head tested good but watch the attached video on the right.

As I rev it appears to lose spark. Is this normal with a bad coil?

After seeing my new bike idle a little low I was concerned that I had a bad coil. So I got a spark tester and the left head tested good but watch the attached video on the right.

As I rev it appears to lose spark. Is this normal with a bad coil?

Afternoon joeyjamb

That doesn't look good does it?

Try swapping the coils side to side then repeat your test.

After switching the coils the problem stayed with the same coil. Looks like a bad one. Next question, should I replace in a set or is getting one good?

Thank you very much.

Oldrider51

I just went through this, I would replace as a set, try euromotoelectrics.com. Same coils as BMW but less cost.

After switching the coils the problem stayed with the same coil. Looks like a bad one. Next question, should I replace in a set or is getting one good?

Thank you very much.

Afternoon joeyjamb

Sort of depends on: If the coils are the same age, numbers, or look.

If the coils are same color, same basic look, have similar numbering then the other side probably isn't too far behind.

If the working side looks to be a different coil age or different look then possibly that side has already been replaced.

Thank you very much for all your assistance. I just ordered two from Euro Motoelectrics. They did have a good price, $244 for the pair shipped.

I just went through this, I would replace as a set, try euromotoelectrics.com. Same coils as BMW but less cost.

I replaced mine with the set from EME. Two thumbs up. The new ones from EME don't come with the rubber gasket that sits up on the shaft (just there to seal a bit and dampen vibration between the coil and the head) so be sure to hang on to your stock ones.

Thanks again for the help everyone. The new coils arrived today and swapped the old ones out which looked the same. I move the gasket from the old to the new. I tossed the bad one but I will hang on to the good one for now. I took her out for a test run and she ran beautifully. No surging. I really noticed the difference below 3k rpm. Feels like it gained some horsepower. Up next is valve adjustment and bleeding brakes and clutch. I love this machine even more now. Sorry I waited so long to get my first BMW. Thanks again everyone!

Shiny Side Up
Thanks again for the help everyone. The new coils arrived today and swapped the old ones out which looked the same. I move the gasket from the old to the new. I tossed the bad one but I will hang on to the good one for now. I took her out for a test run and she ran beautifully. No surging. I really noticed the difference below 3k rpm. Feels like it gained some horsepower. Up next is valve adjustment and bleeding brakes and clutch. I love this machine even more now. Sorry I waited so long to get my first BMW. Thanks again everyone!

Well glad to hear you've solved your problem and got 'er going...

Just as a back-up - sometimes (not often) beemerboneyard has one or two in stock (used) so you can save a little more $$ going that route. I've only had one coil go bad and the boneyard didn't have anything at that time. Something to consider.

Well if I get a few years or even two out of these, I'll be ok with that. I figure it's like anything else on the forums. For each one that goes there are a bunch more that are fine.

Shiny Side Up
Well if I get a few years or even two out of these, I'll be ok with that. I figure it's like anything else on the forums. For each one that goes there are a bunch more that are fine.

I replaced the coil over five years ago... still going strong. The other coil is an original and still ok since 2004.