IGNORED

One more great road losing a bit of it's character...

Twisties

Yes, in so far as the closures go this could be in ride and event planning, but that's not the place for this lament. I rode 36 twice this spring and was dismayed to see the canopy of oaks cut back over this stretch of one and half lane hwy. They were such a part of the character of this iconic ride. Now it seems that they are going to realign and widen the section. Sure, it will be safer and faster. Still, I can't help but feel that a little bit of magic is being taken from this world.

CalTrans District 1 Facebook Post - CA 36 Closures

Missouri Bob

A few years ago, I rode to my home state for a class reunion. I made a point of riding some of the roads that I enjoyed forty years earlier. They had changed so much that I did not recognize some of them.

I suppose that I have made peace with those losses by remembering that I enjoyed them at the time, rather than doing something else, like studying.

Bob

That's been the on-going theme of many of my local roads. They started as small farm-to-market roads, then as the suburbs are built up around them they're widened, re-routed, and have the curves and elevation changes taken out of them. It's much safer for traffic overall, but a bummer me.

There used to be a great road a couple miles from my house that was narrow and winding, with some hills, and running by a couple small farms. I would take a five minute diversion on my way home to ride it, often arriving home with a smile on my face. Last year, the farming area was bought out and construction of a new neighborhood began. Before too much longer, the road was re-routed to a much flatter configuration, with some gentle sweeping turns and a lower speed limit. You could still access the old road, but this spring it was closed.

As we get more people, we get fewer fun roads.

Road changes affect us on a psycho/emotional level.

Sometimes good, like repaving, gravel clearing.

Or. like your situation, not so good.

Now when they drop the speed limit...

:P