IGNORED

R1100RS Head Gasket - Which One?

ncstatecamp

ncstatecamp

Ive got a 96 r1100rsl that is weeping at the head gasket on the right side. On maxBMW I see two part number with year sets, 11 12 1 342 869 CYL. HEAD GASKET, 4 COMPONENTS (to 08/97) - $80.13 or

11 12 1 341 194 CYL. HEAD GASKET, 3 COMPONENTS (from 08/97) - $58.27

Is the second one a supersceded or do I have to go with the earlier more expensive one?

Also has anyone used Athena Gaskets Link 1, Link 2.

Ncstatecamp -

The Max fiche has a nice feature that lets you find the manufacture date of your bike by putting in the last 7 characters of the VIN. Have you tried that? Then the from & to dates should make sense. Not superseded if it doesn't use that word.

Edited by TheOtherLee
ncstatecamp

Hmm I put in my vin (thanks for letting me know that super helpful!) but both still come listed up. I'm assuming I have to get the first one, up to 8/97, which is a bummer as its more expensive...

still curious if anyones tried athena gaskets though

Ive got a 96 r1100rsl that is weeping at the head gasket on the right side. On maxBMW I see two part number with year sets, 11 12 1 342 869 CYL. HEAD GASKET, 4 COMPONENTS (to 08/97) - $80.13 or

11 12 1 341 194 CYL. HEAD GASKET, 3 COMPONENTS (from 08/97) - $58.27

Is the second one a supersceded or do I have to go with the earlier more expensive one?

Evening ncstatecamp

I'm going to suggest that you call your local BMW dealer.

BMW has a couple of service bulletins on 1100 engines & head gasket usage.

I'm not near my shop for a few days so don't have access to my paper service bulletins.

I do have one that shows--- (just the part that matter's shown below)

All R1100 models produced from calendar week 18 (April 28, 1997)

onwards will be equipped with head gaskets of Multi-Layered Steel

(MLS) technology.

Service Information: The MLS cylinder head gasket can be used in place of all earlier

gaskets, on all R1100 models, without any modifications.

Part Number: MSL cylinder head gasket for all R1100 models.

P/N: 11 12 1 341 173

Problem is that service bulletin is old & the P/N: 11 12 1 341 173 is no longer in service (it has been updated or superseded)

Pre 08/97 cylinders are .6mm shorter to accommodate the original paper head gasket. The new 4 layer MLS gasket is thicker to match. Don't substitute a thinner 3-layer MLS gasket. Best case, you'll increase your compression ratio, worst case, your piston will hit the valves. I've never tried it, one of these days I'll look into it.

Edited by bmwnomad

The difference is in the size of the holes that are cut for the dowels. On the older engine the dowels are 14.5 mm so you need the expensive head gasket. The newer ones have 12.5 mm dowels. If you look on the MaxBMW fiche you can see the difference in the size of the holes.

If I had a bike that was close to the switchover date I would pull the head off and measure before I bought. With your 96 I think you can safely order the older (more expensive) head gasket.