IGNORED

Please help!

TG R1150RT

Hello there. This is my first bmw 2004 r1150rt. I would appreciate any credible information!

I rode the bike yesterday fine. This afternoon (hot weather) when I started the bike, it stalled. In fact it wouldnt start. I had to keep throttle open for 4-5 mins to keep the engine ON and not let the bike stall. Then it ran fine in the afternoon around my neighborhood !

What I noticed this evening was, the rpm without the choke was about 1100. When I pull the choke up and hold it, it is running at 1150-60. My friend told me my rpm should be running at 1150 without the choke turned ON. Do I need throttle adjustment and valve adjustments?

Also, the bike has 64K. What type(s) of maintenance services would you get to make it a safer ride if you also just bought her?

Any thoughts/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Trevor

Gonsalves Trevor

Lots of possibilities on your problem.

Anything from a bad stick coil to water in your fuel tank, to a fouled spark plug, to something wrong with the electronics, to a TPS issue, to ??????????

How long before the problem started did you fill the gas tank?

Has the battery been run down or replaced recently?

ANY thing else out of the ordinary happen, or was done, JUST BEFORE your problem showed up?

Thank you dirtrider for your concern to help! I bought the bike like this about 2 weeks ago. I have no knowledge/information prior to that except that the oil was changed recently. The bike has been in great shape!

Yesterday was my first day of filling up the tank. I had trickle charged the battery with deltran battery tender, ever since it has been in my garage. But then again, this issue existed at the time i bought the bike. Nothing else has been done except washing the bike.

What would you do now after knowing this? Thanks again my friend!

I had a similar issue with my RT and it turned out to be flooded. The fuel soaked plugs were caused when I attempted to start the bike with a failing battery. The battery had enough umph to crank the engine, albeit too slowly. Once I checked the battery voltage while cranking, I found it was dropping below 9.5V with the starter engaged. Too low to crank at proper speed and operate the ignition and the injection. A replacement battery fixed the problem. If you can, crank the engine with the throttle wide open. Most systems have a clear flood mode that shuts off fuel delivery during cranking at wide open throttle. Same as your car. Pull a spark plug and if it's wet with fuel, it's flooded.

Hi Trevor, as posted on the other forum, you need to tell us more for any constructive help.

One thing is apparent, you don't know the service history of the bike, so I suggest a full engine service before digging too deep. So valve clearances, air filter, spark plugs inspect/clean/replace, Throttle bodies clean - remove the Big Brass Screw to inspect and clean. Throttle body balance. etc.

Thanks Andy for your input! Yes you are right! I am working with a mechanic to get all of that checked out.

Trevor

Thank you dirtrider for your concern to help! I bought the bike like this about 2 weeks ago. I have no knowledge/information prior to that except that the oil was changed recently. The bike has been in great shape!

Yesterday was my first day of filling up the tank. I had trickle charged the battery with deltran battery tender, ever since it has been in my garage. But then again, this issue existed at the time i bought the bike. Nothing else has been done except washing the bike.

What would you do now after knowing this? Thanks again my friend!

Morning TG R1150RT

First off your idle RPM is just about where it belongs (the spec is 1050-1150 RPM's) so you are in the middle of the spec range.

It sounds like your choke-on RPM is a low (no defined spec) there is a choke cable adjuster under a rubber boot on the cable up near the L/H handlebar. Just slide the boot down the cable then adjust the cable slightly longer until you get a cold RPM that will keep the engine running. (I know it says choke on the lever BUT it really isn't a choke it is ONLY a fast idle lever as it adds no fuel enriching)

If it was my bike I guess the place that I would start is to do a fresh TPS re-learn. (see procedure below)

Next would be to verify that the bike has the correct CCP (coding plug) in the fuse box.

After that probably verify that both stick coils (upper coils) are functioning & install new spark plugs. (oil fouled lower spark plug, or plugs, will kill the cold engine idle ability)

Other than that probably clean the Throttle Body BBS screw tips & clean the air passages under the screws using catalytic converter & o2 sensor safe carburetor cleaner.

Make sure that the o2 sensor pig tail wire is not near or running along the R/H lower spark plug wire.

Lots of possibilities so you need to eliminate the easy & obvious then try to isolate the problem to a specific area like fuel or spark, or calibration.

Added: you might watch you generator light to see if the engine cold idling gets better after the generator light goes out if so then your generator probably isn't coming on line early enough to bump the system voltage above weak battery voltage (ie low voltage to the fuel injectors & coils after cold start)

TPS re-learn--

(with choke OFF)

*Remove fuse #5 for about 5 minutes, then re-install the fuse.

Then

*Switch on the ignition.

Then

*Without starting the engine, fully open the throttle twice so that

the Fueling Computer can register the throttle-valve position.

then

*Switch off the ignition.

That's it, that re-teaches the TPS where closed & open throttle is.

Edited by dirtrider

Thats an incredible amount of valuable information! I couldnt be more thankful for your time and effort in sharing that information! I feel very welcome and fortunate to become a bmw rider and part of a great forum!

THaNK YOU!

Trevor