IGNORED

Additional mirrors for 2016 RT

Rex R

What options have you'se used to add a pair of handlebar mirrors to a 2016 1200RT?

Personally, I prefer higher mounted mirrors than end-weight mounted mirrors.

Photos are much appreciated.

You can buy the front portion of the GSA switch gear clamp that has a mirror hole. Then you can use the GSA mirrors or any others that would fit the threads.

I have this set up but using the mirror hole for a ram ball.

Hope this helps. Oh and while Wunderlich makes the same part the finish on the BMW product is much better.

Looks like the PN is 32 72 8 532 971

32728532971_2_B.jpg

Edited by RTinNC
LittleBriar

I recently bought the Flash mirror and brackets from Wunderlich. I'm very happy with the setup. Be prepared to pay big time. My order was $226 which included an unreasonably high shipping cost to the Midwest. Make sure you get the 8mm bracket and not the 5mm ones. I see BMW wants $43.58ea for their brackets and the Wunderlich ones are $49 a set. It never ceases to amaze me what prices these guys charge for this stuff.

Edited by LittleBriar

Thanks, guys. :wave: Anyone happen to know the thread size of the BMW part? And would GS mirrors from a 1150 fit these mounts?

Bill_Walker
Thanks, guys. :wave: Anyone happen to know the thread size of the BMW part? And would GS mirrors from a 1150 fit these mounts?

I just put one on to hold a RAM ball. M10-1.5. The 1150 mirrors are through-bolted (I had GS mirrors on my 1150RT), while the new clamp has a dead-end hole, so the old mirrors won't work, as far as I can tell. Unless maybe they're the right thread size, and you could put a lock nut on them to clamp them in the right position.

I recently bought the Flash mirror and brackets from Wunderlich. I'm very happy with the setup. Be prepared to pay big time. My order was $226 which included an unreasonably high shipping cost to the Midwest. Make sure you get the 8mm bracket and not the 5mm ones. I see BMW wants $43.58ea for their brackets and the Wunderlich ones are $49 a set. It never ceases to amaze me what prices these guys charge for this stuff.

Yep ...not cheap but I like the finish on the BMW part much better than the Wunderlich. Also, the Wunderlich parts I got had a funky hole in the front too. I did not like that unfinished look. But to each his own.

I just put one on to hold a RAM ball. M10-1.5. The 1150 mirrors are through-bolted (I had GS mirrors on my 1150RT), while the new clamp has a dead-end hole, so the old mirrors won't work, as far as I can tell. Unless maybe they're the right thread size, and you could put a lock nut on them to clamp them in the right position.

Yes, thru-bolted and secured with a nut that costs about $15 each (at least that's the way I remember it when I had to pay thru the nose for a pair of freakin' nuts)! The mirrors weren't cheap either. But I am. That's why I would like to recycle them onto my new bike. If the threads are the same size, I suspect I could secure them in the position that I want with an external tooth lock washer and maybe one or two flat washers as spacers.

Any resident BMW-savant happen to know the thread size on the old GS mirrors?

Merci.

Yes, thru-bolted and secured with a nut that costs about $15 each (at least that's the way I remember it when I had to pay thru the nose for a pair of freakin' nuts)! The mirrors weren't cheap either. But I am. That's why I would like to recycle them onto my new bike. If the threads are the same size, I suspect I could secure them in the position that I want with an external tooth lock washer and maybe one or two flat washers as spacers.

Merci.

Evening Rex R

The old 1150 GS mirrors were 8x1.25mm thread. You could probably drill/tap the new mirror mount then install Time Serts to reduce the threads to 8x1.25mm or maybe even drill/tap some cut off 10x1.5 bolts (have to be pretty precise drill & tap to get a 8x1.25 thread inside a 10x1.5mm bolt)

Before going too far make sure that the the old GS mirrors will clear your windshield with it in the down position.

LittleBriar

These brackets came from Wunderlich. Look exactly like OEM. Notice also I have Ilium risers. Please ignore the bugs on the screen. Lots of bugs up here in Northern Michigan and I just finished a ride.

mirror.jpg

These brackets came from Wunderlich. Look exactly like OEM. Notice also I have Ilium risers. Please ignore the bugs on the screen. Lots of bugs up here in Northern Michigan and I just finished a ride.

mirror.jpg

I believe the brackets Wunderlich now sends have another threaded hole in the front. Not sure why they changed the design but that empty hole really bugged me. It is a M10 size so trying to find a short bolt to fill it was not easy as well. May just be me but I am extremely anal about any farkles I add. If my Wunderlichs looks like those I may still have them although I was not happy with the painted finish on them. It was already peeling off on the first set so I send them back for replacement. The replacements were better but not perfect. Most Wunderlich stuff is better than this and I was surprised.

Looks like the one in this photo

31040-201_02_540x360.jpg

21211102.jpg

21211102d_540x361.jpg

Merci.

Evening Rex R

The old 1150 GS mirrors were 8x1.25mm thread. You could probably drill/tap the new mirror mount then install Time Serts to reduce the threads to 8x1.25mm or maybe even drill/tap some cut off 10x1.5 bolts (have to be pretty precise drill & tap to get a 8x1.25 thread inside a 10x1.5mm bolt)

Before going too far make sure that the the old GS mirrors will clear your windshield with it in the down position.

I forgot to mention, DR, in addition to being cheap :money: , I'm also lazy. :java:

I might be able to drill out the threads and shoot an insert in. Drilling out an M10 bolt to then tap it for an M8 is definitely an argument in favor of laziness. I appreciate the suggestion, tho.

I think I'll start shopping for aftermarket mirrors with M10-1.5 bolts.

LittleBriar

Interesting, I believe Wunderlich must have given me OEM brackets. These were just purchased within the last 2 months. First shipment got lost in the mail and when I called they said they were out but would ship as soon as new arrived. I was not happy with the situation and let them know about it. I'll bet they got some OEM brackets and shipped them to me so I didn't have to wait. They look stock and even have the torque spec embossed on them.

I agree, I don't like the appearance of the Wunderlich items either.

Bill_Walker
I think I'll start shopping for aftermarket mirrors with M10-1.5 bolts.

If laziness wins over cheapness, you could just order a set of current-model GS mirrors when you're picking up the GS control clamps.

Never liked the round mirrors, anyway. And I'm not THAT lazy that I can't shop for mirrors in local dealers or on-line.

I have to maintain that delicate cheap-lazy balance.

Never liked the round mirrors, anyway. And I'm not THAT lazy that I can't shop for mirrors in local dealers or on-line.

Afternoon Rex R

If you use the 1200GS (WC) mirrors don't forget the adapters. I'm not sure if there is a thread change, or they are for a height change, or for??? (in any case the GS uses adapters between the mirrors & the handlebar mount)

Afternoon Rex R

If you use the 1200GS (WC) mirrors don't forget the adapters. I'm not sure if there is a thread change, or they are for a height change, or for??? (in any case the GS uses adapters between the mirrors & the handlebar mount)

Thanks for the heads up. You're pretty smart and savvy for a guy who is tethered to a rotary phone! :old:

I thought the mirrors just screwed right into the pipe clamp that RTinNC posted. Someone posted that the threads in that pipe clamp are M10-1.5. Maybe that adapter steps the threads down from 10-1.5 to 8-1.25 and I could use my less-than-ideal-round-oilhead mirrors after all.

OTOH, after reading your note, I looked at the fiche and see that wethead mirrors are rectangular-ish. I wouldn't mind those, but $100 for each mirror, $44 for each clamp, $11 for each adapter, $9 for a pair of covers, and $7 for a pair of nuts and I think the cheap side of me will win out over the lazy side. Jeez!! $325 + tax just for a freakin pair of mirrors!

:jaw:

As they say, the cheapest thing on a BMW m/c is the nut that connects the saddle to the bars.

edit: Just took a closer look at the fiche. Looks like the mirrors may come with the adapter, cover and nut. Just putting this out there as reference for future searches.

Edited by Rex R
Interesting, I believe Wunderlich must have given me OEM brackets. These were just purchased within the last 2 months. First shipment got lost in the mail and when I called they said they were out but would ship as soon as new arrived. I was not happy with the situation and let them know about it. I'll bet they got some OEM brackets and shipped them to me so I didn't have to wait. They look stock and even have the torque spec embossed on them.

I agree, I don't like the appearance of the Wunderlich items either.

Yep ... sounds like you did get OEM parts that IMHO look much nicer.

Best farkle of all time under $10 which really does work perfectly to cover the full blind spot on your '16 RT. You have excellent visibility of lanes on both side of you because of their wide-angle nature so that by the time another vehicle is no longer visible in the OEM mirror you will have already seen the vehicle in the blind spot mirror. For under $10--hard to beat.

IMG_0665_zps3gi4slnl.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%206.19.27%20AM_zpscyrktejz.jpg

Edited by NoelCP
Best farkle of all time under $10 which really does work perfectly to cover the full blind spot on your '16 RT. You have excellent visibility of lanes on both side of you because of their wide-angle nature so that by the time another vehicle is no longer visible in the OEM mirror you will have already seen the vehicle in the blind spot mirror. For under $10--hard to beat.

I've installed similar mirrors on all my RTs. I never cared for mirrors on stalks.

Bill_Walker

So far, I find the mirrors on my RTW pretty adequate (but I haven't been able to put many miles on it yet). They're MUCH better than the mirrors on my '04, which, if adjusted normally, gave me a lovely view of my elbows and the saddlebags. On that bike, I added GS mirrors for rear view and adjusted the factory mirrors out to the sides to cover adjacent lanes. I'll look into those blind-spot stick-ons if I decide there's a need on the '15.

So far, I find the mirrors on my RTW pretty adequate (but I haven't been able to put many miles on it yet). They're MUCH better than the mirrors on my '04, which, if adjusted normally, gave me a lovely view of my elbows and the saddlebags. On that bike, I added GS mirrors for rear view and adjusted the factory mirrors out to the sides to cover adjacent lanes. I'll look into those blind-spot stick-ons if I decide there's a need on the '15.

Have to agree, the mirrors on my 2016 are way better than my 2006 RT. On the 2006 I had added Baron Bar End Mirrors but to date have not felt the need on the 2016

I've installed similar mirrors on all my RTs. I never cared for mirrors on stalks.

+2 on the mini spot mirrors. Mine cover the entire blind spot plus to my periphery line of sight. Inexpensive and uses a dead spot in the stock mirror that only shows your own bike.

Rider1200RT

Great idea!