IGNORED

Intro and advice requested

DavidR8

Hi, this is my first post here so a bit of an intro is in order.

I live on Vancouver Island in beautiful British Columbia Canada.

My partner and I ride a '06 Triumph Tiger 955i with 30K miles on it. We're looking to do more long distance work and the Triumph while agile and zippy is quite a brutal ride from a wind management perspective.

So we're in the market for a sport tourer. On my list are:

ST1300

R1200RT

FJR1300

R1150RT

I've ridden an '07 ST and two '06 R1200RT's. Liked them all fine. Very different from our Tiger and from each other. Haven't ridden an FJR yet.

I'm looking at a 2002 R1150RT with under 20K miles. I've not seen the bike yet.

Here's the ad: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/BMW-R1150RT_29537341

For context, there's an '06 R1200RT for $6500 at my local BMW dealer. It has 103,000 kms on the clock

I've read the reviews RT1200 is better than the 1150 etc., grabby brakes. I've heard of the '05-'06 RT1200 FD and brake issues.

What do I need to worry about on an 1150?

Thanks in advance!

David

Edited by DavidR8

Duplicate threads started in different forums. We have merged them together here.

Edited by Glenn Reed

Evening DavidR8

Welcome!

On the 1150RT (especially the 2002) probably the most expensive problem is the transmission input shaft splines stripping out. If that happens then you are instantly walking.

They didn't all have spline issues but the 2002 1150RT was the most prone of the 1150 series. (usually happens after 25,000 miles)

The 1150 BMW's also had some final drive issues (just annoying, not real expensive or a major problem)

The 1150 BMW's also had some I-ABS brake controller failures (a bit expensive to repair but if a rider doesn't need ABS brakes then the system can be removed & the bike then has good feeling standard brakes)

I have owned a few BMW 1150RT bikes (both new & used) with one being a new 2002 1150RT. My biggest complaints were the very uncomfortable stock seat for longer than hour rides, the 5th to 6th gear spacing, & the engine surging at light throttle &slower speeds.

The seat angle can be changed with simple shims for some help but the trans 5th to 6th gear is not really fixable. (some riders it bothered more than others)-- To me (& my riding style) 5th was too low & 6th was just a bit too high)

The engine surging is also fixable with an aftermarket fuel controller.

There is a lot of info in the archives on this web site but can be difficult to find at times.

I had an 02 an 04 1150RT. The 02 surge drove me nuts. The 04 was perfect. The dual spark transformed the bike.

Yikes!

The spline issue sounds like an expensive fix.

I've never had ABS other than the controller in my head which has served me well thus far :)

I might go ride it to see if it suits us...

Edited by DavidR8
Yikes!

The spline issue sounds like an expensive fix.

I've never had ABS other than the controller in my head which has served me well thus far :)

I might go ride it to see it is suits us...

Evening DavidR8

Only a low percentage on the 1150's had spline issues but, of the failure prone 1150 bikes, the 2002 was probably the biggest offender.

The spline issue is not only expensive to repair but it is difficult to prevent returning at about the same mileage as the first failure.

If you want a good long read just put -- splines -- into the search box at the top of the page then start reading.

I wonder if I'm better off waiting for a decent '04.

Evening DavidR8

As far as stock bikes go the 2004 was the better bike (there were even some 2005 1150 bikes).

The 1200RT is a better bike yet with the later 1200 bikes being better yet.

In the 2005-2009 (hexhead) 1200RT's the late 08 or 09 were the best.

Now with the WC (water cooled) 1200RT's being out for a while the 1200RT hexheads prices are coming down nicely.

You didn't say where you are located (I presume not in the U.S.) used BMW bike availability might be different so that could have a lot of bearing on what you can do.

When it comes to the BMW 1150 bikes the 2002 was sold slightly longer than the other models but the early 2002's were difficult to find so I don't know if a lot more were actually produced.

The other thing is the late 2003 , 2004, & 2005 1150RT was a rather desired bike so a lot of 2003-2005 1150RT owners that I know have kept them & are still happy with them.

Gotcha!

I'm located on Vancouver Island BC. The used market is pretty tight and bikes command a high price.

I do like the look of the 1150 RT over the 1200 to be honest so that plays into the emotional part of my decision. That said, I'm a practical person and want to buy the best value with the least cost of ownership long term.

I really appreciate your advice and insight!

There's a purported "Fix" for the 1150 spline issues, its a spacer that moves the clutch disk so it has more complete engagement on the transmission splines. If you fall in love with one, might be something to look into.

I haven't in too much detail, but it seems to get brought up a lot in 1150 discussions. I think the fellow who makes them is on ADVRider.

Gotcha!

I'm located on Vancouver Island BC. The used market is pretty tight and bikes command a high price.

I do like the look of the 1150 RT over the 1200 to be honest so that plays into the emotional part of my decision. That said, I'm a practical person and want to buy the best value with the least cost of ownership long term.

I really appreciate your advice and insight!

Evening DavidR8

I felt the same way when I went from an 1150RT to the 1200RT but after a day of owning & riding the 1200RT I definitely felt that I made the right decision. (plus you can't see the darn thing when you are sitting on it riding)

(plus you can't see the darn thing when you are sitting on it riding)

Ok, that made me laugh!

Edited by DavidR8
There's a purported "Fix" for the 1150 spline issues, its a spacer that moves the clutch disk so it has more complete engagement on the transmission splines. If you fall in love with one, might be something to look into.

I haven't in too much detail, but it seems to get brought up a lot in 1150 discussions. I think the fellow who makes them is on ADVRider.

Thanks Scott, I'll do some google-fu and see if I can find it.

Welcome.

How much wrenching do you do, and want to do?

All BMW's have a time/distance service schedule.

The 1150's differ from the 1200's.

Big beemer fan, but the ST or FJR, in some cases, are less maintenance intensive.

That said, how many miles you ride comes into play, and the type/quality of the ride come in there.

For me, the beemers ride better.

YMMV

Budget?

Understand limited market and importing from USA is difficult, but doable.

For 1150 I'd hold out for a late as possible.

Plenty around (down here) with a lot of farkles already on.

Best wishes.

I had the '05 R1200RT... and never had an issue.

The '05/06's both have Servo Assisted brakes... affectionately known as "Whizzy Brakes".

the system was/is reliable but requires a minor-bit of fiddly work for a brake fluid system change which needs to be done every... what? I forget... 10k miles? If you take your bike in for service it is a minor thing. If you like to work on your bike yourself- it can easily be learned and there are numerous articles and videos on the subject. You might need a "special tool" to add-in the brake fluid... this might cost you $2.00.

If the budget will cover it... my vote always goes to the newer bikes....

Do ride the FJR to get a baseline of comparison. It's a fine motorcycle and quite bullet proof with a marvelously smooth and strong engine. Like the RT, it's a pack mule. It's more sled like while the RT seems more flickable, and the wind management on the RT is quite superior (that's a good or bad thing depending on the day's temperature). I prefer the RT for its quirkiness and handling, but there are many who are passionate about the FJR.

Welcome indeed.

Hello David and Welcome! I had some friends ride your area a couple of years ago and they loved it! Hope you can join us stateside sometime. Look into Torrey, UT Spring or Fall and the UNrally.

Welcome. All good bikes but totally different feel to them. ( the rt's though different years feel similar). The RTs are torque monsters . Lots of low end grunt, not hi rev buzz saws. Personal preference. I own an 03 RT. No real issues. All that DR said about them is true, however, I personally don't mind the surging enough to do anything about it. I also love the wheezer brakes. Bleeding them is really not a huge issue. I have close to 90,000 on the bike. With that being said, if affordable, I would choose the newer bike just because 15 year old bikes do have parts that age and could be prone to fail. Keep us posted on your choice and look forward to your future input.

Wow! What a great response from everyone. If the strength of this community is any reflection of the RT's capability it's an awesome bike!

One thing I'll add:

While I like many things about my '06 Tiger: it's triple engine is a joy around town or in the twisties. On the open flat road with 400 kms to go? Not so much. It spins 4000 rm at 100 kmh so It's a bit of a busy ride.

The challenge is that the 2006 is the last of it's model type. Triumph still makes Tigers but the only things they have in common with mine is name plate, two wheels and three cylinders.

I've added a Madstad screen for better wind management and a Seat Concepts seat for my lady's comfort.

I look at a GS (not ridden yet) and think Hmm it's a really big version of my Tiger. However every time I get behind the bars of a sport touring bike like the RT I am amazed by the comfort.

Edited by DavidR8
Bill_Walker
One thing I'll add:

While I like many things about my '06 Tiger: it's triple engine is a joy around town or in the twisties. On the open flat road with 400 kms to go? Not so much. It spins 4000 rm at 100 kmh so It's a bit of a busy ride.

4000-4500 rpm is typically the RT's sweet spot for cruising speed. Below that, it tends to feel like it's lugging if you open the throttle (more so on my '04 than on my '15), and above that gets pretty vibey (MUCH more so on my '04 than on my '15, which is so smooth that, in the short time I've had it, I've occasionally looked down to notice I'm cruising at 5500 rpm, having forgotten to upshift!).

Hank R1200RT

My last bike before the RT was a '99 Tiger - 885cc, first year of EFI. Loved it, did 500 mile days regularly. By comparison to the RT, both had good midrange torque. The triple sound is more...intoxicating than the boxer, which has a character of its own. Tiger is definitely buzzier than the RT. Tried several things, gel pad gloves worked the best along with concentrating on not gripping the bars.

The Tiger has a conventional handlebar, so you have more options to get an ergonomically comfortable riding position. I like the sitting-up position on both bikes...not a Thruxton/ST4/R1200RS fan here. Rode an FJR, not as extreme as those.

I rarely hit redline with the Tiger, never with the RT so far. I prize midrange torque and both bikes have it. I have not ridden a 955 or 1055 Tiger, but I suspect you may feel like the RT has less torque...it was a step up from my 885, but not a huge one.

Handling on both bikes is fine IMHO. I am not a track day guy, but live seven miles from the Rock Store and ride canyons a lot. Tiger was better on bad road surfaces, RT is much better slabbing it. Cruise control is a big plus. Rain protection on the RT is great IMHO. RT panniers are better. (City lids are great.)

I had great adventures on the Tiger, and expect the same with the RT. These are the two best MCs I have ever owned, entirely different experiences, and it is hard to pick a favorite.

YMMV...

One thing I'll add:

4000-4500 rpm is typically the RT's sweet spot for cruising speed. Below that, it tends to feel like it's lugging if you open the throttle (more so on my '04 than on my '15), and above that gets pretty vibey (MUCH more so on my '04 than on my '15, which is so smooth that, in the short time I've had it, I've occasionally looked down to notice I'm cruising at 5500 rpm, having forgotten to upshift!).

Thanks Bill, interestingly enough I often find myself looking for 7th gear on the Tiger. I tend to short shift around town because I don't like the busy feel of a high revving engine.

My last bike before the RT was a '99 Tiger - 885cc, first year of EFI. Loved it, did 500 mile days regularly. By comparison to the RT, both had good midrange torque. The triple sound is more...intoxicating than the boxer, which has a character of its own. Tiger is definitely buzzier than the RT. Tried several things, gel pad gloves worked the best along with concentrating on not gripping the bars.

The Tiger has a conventional handlebar, so you have more options to get an ergonomically comfortable riding position. I like the sitting-up position on both bikes...not a Thruxton/ST4/R1200RS fan here. Rode an FJR, not as extreme as those.

I rarely hit redline with the Tiger, never with the RT so far. I prize midrange torque and both bikes have it. I have not ridden a 955 or 1055 Tiger, but I suspect you may feel like the RT has less torque...it was a step up from my 885, but not a huge one.

Handling on both bikes is fine IMHO. I am not a track day guy, but live seven miles from the Rock Store and ride canyons a lot. Tiger was better on bad road surfaces, RT is much better slabbing it. Cruise control is a big plus. Rain protection on the RT is great IMHO. RT panniers are better. (City lids are great.)

I had great adventures on the Tiger, and expect the same with the RT. These are the two best MCs I have ever owned, entirely different experiences, and it is hard to pick a favorite.

YMMV...

Thanks Hank,

Exactly my dilemma. They are different bikes, each delivering a different yet completely awesome experience.

We don't have much in the way of "slab" like roads on Vancouver Island however on the mainland there are definitely times when sitting back and letting the miles roll under the wheels is a requirement to get to a destination.

David:

I have no experience with the FJR or ST. I have been an RT owner from day one. The comfort on distance for the RT, in my humble opine is one challenged by the Goldwing or the BMW K1600GTL. As an all around machine, the RT is probably at the top of the list. Most of us RT owners have 50k plus on our machines on superslab, back roads, mountain twisties and so forth. I have owned an 1150 (04), 1200 (06) and my current ride is a 1200 ('11). Each one had its nuances but still the same joy. You are in an enviable position in your debate. Three solid machines with different feels and style.

May the Schwartz be with you

Mike

Shiny Side Up

I've ridden several STs - very nice motorcycle.

I owned an FJR but couldn't keep my hand out of the throttle - the speed and flat out acceleration of the FJR is addictive. Both are very fine motorcycles and well engineered.

But - those motorcycles as far as the riding position are just not for me. My RT has plenty of torque, speed and the most comfortable riding position that I've found.

I'll stick with BMW 'cause it works for me.

Hello David and Welcome! I had some friends ride your area a couple of years ago and they loved it! Hope you can join us stateside sometime. Look into Torrey, UT Spring or Fall and the UNrally.

Thanks Workin'

We do have some fabulous roads north of the border.

We're keen to come south as well. Likely not on the Tiger however. :)

Edited by DavidR8
One thing I'll add:

This is interesting to hear. During my two test rides I tended to run at too low an rpm. The engine did feel like it was lugging. I don't think I was keeping it in that range, likely more like 2500-3500.

David:

I have no experience with the FJR or ST. I have been an RT owner from day one. The comfort on distance for the RT, in my humble opine is one challenged by the Goldwing or the BMW K1600GTL. As an all around machine, the RT is probably at the top of the list. Most of us RT owners have 50k plus on our machines on superslab, back roads, mountain twisties and so forth. I have owned an 1150 (04), 1200 (06) and my current ride is a 1200 ('11). Each one had its nuances but still the same joy. You are in an enviable position in your debate. Three solid machines with different feels and style.

May the Schwartz be with you

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I've not ridden an FJR yet only an ST and two '06 RTs.

The first ride on an RT was too short and I was nervous about such a big bike.

The second RT ride was far better and I felt more comfortable almost immediately after leaving the dealer (in rush hour traffic no less😬)

I spent a solid hour on it up the 'freeway' and then back through the twisties. It was amazing in the twisties and rock solid on the freeway. Excellent power characteristics.

The ST was similar; it moves easier than its weight would have you except and the V4 engine is really powerful. It felt a bit more cramped for legroom though.

I want to throw-in one more thing... on any test ride most people pay attention to the power, the comfort, the "feel" of the bike but potentially overlook an important aspect of comfortable and safe riding.

I took a test-ride on one of those bikes made in an island nation not far off the coast of France. At the first stop light I found that the "familiar feel" of hitting the brakes on my BMW was missing.

After several more tries- out of the traffic pattern- it was revealed that an impossibly vague braking system would not meet my needs.

In other works... check the braking performance on every test ride- just like you test other important aspects of a candidate bike.

One thing I'll add:

This is interesting to hear. During my two test rides I tended to run at too low an rpm. The engine did feel like it was lugging. I don't think I was keeping it in that range, likely more like 2500-3500.

:eek:

Big issue with short shifting, on the boxer. Can do with the old brick.

Often had to take conquest buyers out on another "test ride" because they

did not use the power band correctly on the beemer.

After some conversation, and another ride, 90% bought...

Best wishes

I want to throw-in one more thing... on any test ride most people pay attention to the power, the comfort, the "feel" of the bike but potentially overlook an important aspect of comfortable and safe riding.

I took a test-ride on one of those bikes made in an island nation not far off the coast of France. At the first stop light I found that the "familiar feel" of hitting the brakes on my BMW was missing.

After several more tries- out of the traffic pattern- it was revealed that an impossibly vague braking system would not meet my needs.

In other works... check the braking performance on every test ride- just like you test other important aspects of a candidate bike.

Completely agree. I did several very hard stops on the ST and the RT to see if I liked the braking response and feel.

As expected the RT stopped harder than the ST however to my mind both had equal feel. If anything the ST was perhaps a bit more vague but I don't enough experience on either to say which I preferred.

:eek:

Big issue with short shifting, on the boxer. Can do with the old brick.

Often had to take conquest buyers out on another "test ride" because they

did not use the power band correctly on the beemer.

After some conversation, and another ride, 90% bought...

Best wishes

That's definitely part of why I enjoyed the second RT ride more. I had enough time to experiment with rpm range. That particular bike is still in my sights. '06 with 100K kms, new clutch.

Edited by DavidR8