IGNORED

Clamp on "wind deflector". Any reviews / recommendations?

BF204

My new-to-me R1100R has a BMW windshield that I would consider "mid height". I like that I look over the top of it by quite a bit, but I don't like that at highway speeds I get the wind blast right in the head. It's Jimmy Buffet-ville if you know what I mean.

I've seen smallish "wind deflectors" that clamp on the top of the windshield that can be adjusted to push the blast up and (hopefully) over the helmet. Seems like it'd be a good solution in that I could remove it for around town, but easily put it on for longer highway trips.

Anyone had experience with particular ones? Work as claimed? Annoying encroachment into the field of vision? Or maybe y'all have those newfangled electric adjustable shields.

I realize the intent of an "R" is not to provide the comfort of true touring machine, but I'm just trying to find an easy solution to increase the comfort level in case I get a chance to stretch it's legs a little farther.

TIA

My new-to-me R1100R has a BMW windshield that I would consider "mid height". I like that I look over the top of it by quite a bit, but I don't like that at highway speeds I get the wind blast right in the head. It's Jimmy Buffet-ville if you know what I mean.

I've seen smallish "wind deflectors" that clamp on the top of the windshield that can be adjusted to push the blast up and (hopefully) over the helmet. Seems like it'd be a good solution in that I could remove it for around town, but easily put it on for longer highway trips.

Anyone had experience with particular ones? Work as claimed? Annoying encroachment into the field of vision? Or maybe y'all have those newfangled electric adjustable shields.

I realize the intent of an "R" is not to provide the comfort of true touring machine, but I'm just trying to find an easy solution to increase the comfort level in case I get a chance to stretch it's legs a little farther.

TIA

Afternoon BF204

I have had a few 1100R & 1150R bikes over the years & never could get the frontal air flow calmed down to my liking no matter what I tried. I could make it better but still had helmet buffeting at high speeds under certain situations.

If you want calm air then take the windshield completely off. You will have a lot of air pressure on you at higher speeds but the buffeting should be mostly gone.

Best I got on my BMR "R" bikes with a windshield was by using two windshields with a space between them & the front one cut to start about 1/2 way up the rearmost windshield & the front one sticking up farther than the rear one slightly. (kind a laminar flow or accelerated air flow between them)

You can try a top adjustable lip (deflector) & that should help the top-of-helmet buffeting a little but a LOT of the disturbed air flow comes around the sides & bottom area so you will probably need to play with side & lower defectors also.

I never want very far with the concept but I did show some calmer air behind the windshield by cutting some holes in the bottom of the factory windshield to let air in the bottom & raise the air pressure in the pocket just behind the windshield (that can reduce the turbulence in the dead air pocket behind the windshield)

Hello dirtrider,

What size holes did you drill on the base of the windshield? I've been wrestling with the buffeting as well. I'd like to have the windshield "down" more for a cleaner look (to me) but then I'm getting blasted. When I stand it up I still get buffeting and question how long the windshield mount can handle the air pressure without bending/breaking. I think someone put a taller windshield on mine before I got it.

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by MB_ED

Glad you wrote in. I've been struggling with windshield issues for years. I Like the smallish rt1150 most of the time, but on long trips it can get really irritating. I was looking for some side mount deflectors so I could either push the wind away from me or on hot days turn them to deflect air on me. As to windshield hieght, after pricing windscreens decided it is cheaper to have a surgeon remove a couple vertebrae from my neck.

Hello dirtrider,

What size holes did you drill on the base of the windshield? I've been wrestling with the buffeting as well. I'd like to have the windshield "down" more for a cleaner look (to me) but then I'm getting blasted. When I stand it up I still get buffeting and question how long the windshield mount can handle the air pressure without bending/breaking. I think someone put a taller windshield on mine before I got it.

Thanks,

Ed

Morning Ed

First off please keep in mind that we have 3 different bikes being referred to in this thread--

It started off referencing the BMW "R" bike, now we have your "RS" bike & last entry is about the "RT" bike.

They are all different in how they handle the frontal air flow & buffeting issue.

My reply to the first thread was in reference to the "R" bike only. Your RS will probably need different wind management ideas.

Afternoon dirtrider,

Well now that makes it interesting doesn't it? Thank you for your reply, I'm looking at the site that Tri750 referenced.

Thanks,

Ed