IGNORED

1999 R1100R - Neutral indicator light stays on in 1st - adjustment?

BF204

Hi All,

Bike is new to me this spring. It's definitely well-used (~95K km on it), but has also been well maintained and had $$ spent on it by previous owners. I have most paper work and many receipts from new.

The bike runs and handles great and I've just managed to put a couple of tanks of gas through it, and am feeling pretty comfortable on it after 2+ decades of being away from street bikes. It has a few things, some of which are likely quirky to my bike (has aftermarket pipe, it seems with not enough back pressure, so it will "burble" or even crackle/backfire if you shut the throttle off quickly)... Not a biggie. Shifting is OK, but a bit clunky and not super crisp... I've been careful to shift firmly and haven't had prob's, but I guess the tranny on these bikes normally feels like this.

Here's my first Q for the forum: A new issue has come up.... The last couple rides, once the bike gets warm, the neutral indicator light goes on, and stays on when the bike is shifted down to first. It also lights when the bike is N (as it should), and goes out I shift from 1st to 2nd (and stays out in all higher gears).... But at the next red light, it's the same thing. Thoughts? Is there an adjustment somewhere external to the transmission for this? or is more likely electrical issue? It doesn't affect drive ability, (other than not having a properly functioning Neutral indicator).

Is there an on-line source for service manual for these things? That's something I didn't get from the P.O.

Thanks for your thoughts! (FYI, yes I tried the search function first, but didn't see applicable posts)

Afternoon BF204

The usual cause is the neutral switch (rear of trans) getting worn or full of gear oil.

A REAL PAIN to get to!

If it isn't the neutral switch itself then it could be a worn shift drum or even a defective shift drum (there was run of bad shift drums at one time)

Unless you want to remove the neutral switch & check it out (I doubt that you do when you find out how difficult that is) then you just might have to live with the problem until your remove the rear swing arm for other problems, or remove the trans for some reason.

Thanks for the reply... Urghh. OK, I'll be a wait and see thing. FWIW the P.O. had been into the transmission not that long ago, (like last season?), and replaced 1 gear..... I was hoping that meant that I wouldn't need to pull the tranny off and do the spline lube thing (since it'd been off not many miles ago)... Maybe tranny pull will go back onto my "to do" list (but maybe as a winter project). Sensor going funky seems likely given how it seems to change with engine temp... Weird that N light still goes out in 2nd and higher gears.

Thanks again...

Edited by BF204

Just realized that maybe now starter would engage when bike is in 1st with clutch out (?)... haven't tested that, but it wouldn't be a pleasant thing.

Thanks for the reply... Urghh. OK, I'll be a wait and see thing. FWIW the P.O. had been into the transmission not that long ago, (like last season?), and replaced 1 gear..... I was hoping that meant that I wouldn't need to pull the tranny off and do the spline lube thing (since it'd been off not many miles ago)... Maybe tranny pull will go back onto my "to do" list (but maybe as a winter project). Sensor going funky seems likely given how it seems to change with engine temp... Weird that N light still goes out in 2nd and higher gears.

Afternoon BF204

The neutral switch is hooked directly to the rear end of the shift drum so there isn't much movement between Neutral & 1st (rotation wise). Just a little wear on the switch parts could mean the switch still hangs in neutral with trans in 1st.

You c-a-n get the switch off with a lot of work (basically working blind with strange tools) but you have to be dedicated & REALLY want to do it.

Just realized that maybe now starter would engage when bike is in 1st with clutch out (?)... haven't tested that, but it wouldn't be a pleasant thing.

Afternoon BF204

Yep, that could happen, so be careful.

If it really bothers you then you could defeat the neutral switch input into the starter relay so it will ONLY start with clutch pulled in.

I've only heard of "lazy neutral switch" where the N light does not appear but never one that stays lit in 1st gear. What would you call this one "ambitious neutral switch" maybe?

Referencing the 2nd pic--showing the rear side of the transmission, is there a cover that fits over all that open space?

Referencing the 2nd pic--showing the rear side of the transmission, is there a cover that fits over all that open space?

Morning Roger

No, not a cover but a large part of the rear swing arm casting sits right across that indicator switch.

See those holes in each side?-- those are where bearings go that the swing arm pivots on.

I can live a l o n g time before trying to tackle the replacement of this switch. I'd say 95% of my starting cycles is/has been with the clutch pulled in--a habit I acquired in the days before "neutral safety switches" were a functional part of a motorcycle. I don't recall my earlier Honda cycles having it.