IGNORED

Speedometer Alternatives / Fixes

Imgnr

The PO removed the anti-lock brakes and so the speedometer doesn't work. Great...I don't even know the real mileage of the bike.

I've read that some people rewire the ABS circuit board to get the speedo to work again. 1) I don't have the board 2) it seems very complicated.

Questions

1) Any work arounds such as getting wheel sensor or something like that and wiring it into the existing speedo?

2) I might have to buy an off road computer such as the ones by Trail Tech. Anyone have any experience w/ them? Other makes/models you would recommend.

3) I might just remove stock speedo and replace w/ a GPS speedo like this one.

Capture_4.jpg

I'd prefer option (1)or (3) because it'll be cleaner.

Thank you!

Edited by Imgnr
ncstatecamp

I have a speedhut GPS speedo/digital tach thats from my old project bike that I was thinking of selling if you're interested?

[imgnr]The PO removed the anti-lock brakes and so the speedometer doesn't work. Great...I don't even know the real mileage of the bike.

I've read that some people rewire the ABS circuit board to get the speedo to work again. 1) I don't have the board 2) it seems very complicated.--Not extremely complicated but does require an ABS controller with functional electronics & a working rear wheel speed sensor.

Questions

1) Any work arounds such as getting wheel sensor or something like that and wiring it into the existing speedo?-- Not easily as you need some electronics to condition the rear wheel speed sensor signal to the existing speedometer can use it.

2) I might have to buy an off road computer such as the ones by Trail Tech. Anyone have any experience w/ them? Other makes/models you would recommend.-- Most just use a standard GPS to give speed, miles traveled, etc. (GPS is usually more accurate than stock BMW speedometer was)

The speedometer on an FJR I had was difficult to read under certain conditions. I added a bicycle cyclometer. It was very accurate and had the advantage of several additional built in functions.

I went with the wired version to avoid interference from the motorcycle's electronics. Let me know if you'd like more info or additional pictures.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Based on responses I'll get a gps unit but probably the round one and get rid of the nonfunctional one thats just taking up space. Ill report back on how it turns out.

greiffster

The speedometer on an FJR I had was difficult to read under certain conditions. I added a bicycle cyclometer. It was very accurate and had the advantage of several additional built in functions.

I went with the wired version to avoid interference from the motorcycle's electronics. Let me know if you'd like more info or additional pictures.

eddd,

Interesting. Where did you install the magnetic pick-up (I'm assuming)? I don't see it in the picture.

eddd,

Interesting. Where did you install the magnetic pick-up (I'm assuming)? I don't see it in the picture.

The main part of the pick-up mount is a piece of angle aluminum I shaped and drilled. I don't recall exactly, and the picture isn't clear enough to remind me what I added to the angle aluminum piece, but you get the idea.

I didn't use the magnet that came with the cyclometer since I could not see a good way to attach it where it could withstand the wheel speed.

I decided to use a small round rare earth magnet which sits inside one of the bolts that holds the rotor. The hex shaped hole for the allen wrench needed a little grinding so the magnet would be recessed inside.

Before I committed to this I tried it on another allen bolt to ensure I could remove the one with the magnet should the need arise. I tightened the test bolt to spec after adding some blue thread lock and then ground the hex into a round hole big enough for the magnet I would use.. I used a nut secured in a vice for the test. A day or two later I was able to remove it easily with a screw extractor so I figured I was good if the rotor ever needed to come off.

I added a little epoxy to secure the magnet, though it was doing a good job of holding on all by itself.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

greiffster

I decided to use a small round rare earth magnet which sits inside one of the bolts that holds the rotor. The hex shaped hole for the allen wrench needed a little grinding so the magnet would be recessed inside.

Slick! :thumbsup: