IGNORED

R1200RT stiff GPS mount

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

My new used bike has one small issue, and I'm wondering if it's common. When you push the button to release the GPS from the mount, the release doesn't spring back. I can reach in and push it back manually after removing the unit or the cover, and then snap the opposite thing in, but it's mildly annoying.

Does anybody else have this problem? The sales guy thought it was something that would be fixed under warranty, but if there's an easier fix I can do at home, I'm all for it. I tried lubricating it with silicone, but that didn't help.

That is not normal. I just had my GPS mount fixed under warranty because the backing plate was defective and the nuts were turning when you tried to tighten it. You should have no issue getting it fixed.

Bill...had the same problem on mine. Under warranty they changed the mount...no difference...Then I decided I would try. I took it all apart and decided with a few small washers I could adjust how it was mounted...really didn't work much better either.

So after about a year and when my GPS fell out at freeway speed, I took it back in. The regional BMW rep was in the store at the time. He said there were a few warped panels. They ordered a new panel for mine, put it on, and now works as it should.

Sounds like your might have the same issue.

Bill_Walker

Good info, gents. I guess I'll be seeing the dealer. Here's hoping my local dealer will be OK with working on it, even though I bought it elsewhere. But hey, it was pre-owned, and the right bike is where you find it.

John Bentall

This is a common problem on earlier bikes. Dealer fixed mine under warranty, but I can't tell you what they did, but I don't think a new panel was involved.

My 2015 has that problem. Realized it when the Nav started to fall out at 55 mph. Really got my attention. I was surprised to have this issue because the mount is essentially the same mount used on all BMW Nav units since the Nav IV as well as the Zumo 660/665 from a function standpoint.

I discovered the problem about a year ago. From that point forward I just manually push the tabs that hold the GPS or cover in place when I remove the cover or GPS. I know these holding tabs are in their proper position when you cannot see the orange alert exposed on the release button.

With the tabs manually pushed back into place I just snap in the GPS or cover (whichever I'm connecting), and the mount holds as intended. It is a minor inconvenience but really is no big deal and works very well. No problems since I started with this safety step.