IGNORED

System Case - How water proof? Replace Gaskets/Seals?

ncstatecamp

ncstatecamp

So I'm doing a bit of touring and noticed that in the rain my system cases allow a bit of moisture in. Is this standard or are the seals needing replacing. I dont seem them on the fiche so they may not even be replaceable?

The cases can deform over time.

Also where the Sealing O ring locates around the lid, the flanges can get damaged with items getting trapped.

Over packing the panniers will make the seal ineffective too.

They need to be inspected.

However the sealing O ring may need replacing, but it is more likely to be one of the above factors.

Oldrider51
So I'm doing a bit of touring and noticed that in the rain my system cases allow a bit of moisture in. Is this standard or are the seals needing replacing. I dont seem them on the fiche so they may not even be replaceable?

You don't say what model you have so I guessed a RT. Look at this link to Bob's BMW, http://store.bobsbmw.com/microfiche/BrowseParts.aspx?GroupName=Frame%2c+Body%2c+Fairing%2c+Luggage+(46)&MBike=51680&GroupID=46

I found on the fiche, System Case - Single Components, part no 6, Rubber Gasket, P/N 46 54 2316077. Maybe this is the same for what model you have. Found this under the main heading, Frame, Body, Fairing, Luggage (46). Hope this helps.

Morning ncstatecamp

I haven't ever owned a set of side cases for the BMW 1100/1150 that didn't leak (or at least seep a little) during certain riding conditions or riding fast in very heavy rain on rough roads. (that's what plastic garbage bags are for)

You can try replacing the cover gaskets but those usually will also start leaking at some time in the future. ( 46542316077 _ GASKET _ $32.14 ea)

Sam Taylor

There's no 100% in life, but my experience with these cases has been that they're nearly perfectly waterproof. So if you are getting more than negligible water entry, it's worth checking the flange, gaskets and overall condition as others have said.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had three or four sets of cases over the years (two oilheads, and one or two cracked mounting clamps) and all have been watertight in fairly extreme conditions.

my experience same as Sam's. I've owned several and no leaking. My old 1150 would gather water in the handle area and if you opened it without clearing the standing water it would drop in...I've ridden in hard rain more than I care to mention...guess I'm on the lucky side of no leak.

my experience same as Sam's.

Mine too...except when I really load the bike heavily and those panniers are BULGING!

Ditto. Original bags on a 96 RT. 113K miles. One was center punched by a lady doing a ewe turn into me. The other has taken the weight of the bike as the center stand sunk into soft asphalt, wet grass, moist soil. Both sides are still 100% water resistant.