IGNORED

Side stand kill switch

Dave P

Hello all! on my 96 RT (and it has been this way the 4 years I've owned it) it will not run if the side stand is down, even in neutral. I've just put up with it all this time. Any ideas on what the issue is or if I could bypass the switch? Not a big deal, but if it's an easy thing to take care of, I wouldn't mind making it right. Thanks, Dave

Hello all! on my 96 RT (and it has been this way the 4 years I've owned it) it will not run if the side stand is down, even in neutral. I've just put up with it all this time. Any ideas on what the issue is or if I could bypass the switch? Not a big deal, but if it's an easy thing to take care of, I wouldn't mind making it right. Thanks, Dave

Afternoon Dave

That is the way they are-- If you want to get creative then there is a way to wire in a relay to allow running in neutral with the stand down.

Or, you can just by-pass the side stand switch then it will run (even in gear) with the side stand down (a bit dangerous though)

As indicated, it's functioning the way it was intended. Personally, I hated it. Apparently cops feel the same way, because the RTP bikes allow sidestand down, trans in neutral idling.

You can buy the wire harness to make your bike act like a police model:

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/run_on_sidestand/sidestand_start.shtml

You can add the relay option Dirt Rider mentioned.

Simply bypassing the switch worked for me.

MontanaMark

Just my 2cts: Leaving an oilhead idling is a great way to modify your sharkfins and fairing lowers.

Mark

Ok, I guess I'll leave it as it is. I thought in neutral it was supposed to run on the side stand, shut off when you try to pop it into gear.

Thanks! Dave

greiffster
Ok, I guess I'll leave it as it is. I thought in neutral it was supposed to run on the side stand, shut off when you try to pop it into gear.

Thanks! Dave

Dave,

BMW changed the design on the 1150RT to allow for the bike to run in neutral with the side stand down.

Would it run in neutral on the center stand? That would let you idle for warmup while you put on gloves, helmet, etc.

Would it run in neutral on the center stand? That would let you idle for warmup while you put on gloves, helmet, etc.

Afternoon Shane J.

Sure as long as the side stand is in the UP position.

As long as the rider can rock or ride the bike off the center stand then that is viable option but if they can't then it will stall as soon as the side stand it put down to get the bike off the center stand.

BMW recommends no engine warm-up in place, just start engine and ride off.

Just my 2cts: Leaving an oilhead idling is a great way to modify your sharkfins and fairing lowers.

Mark

Yep,

I learned over the years to not start the bike until I'm ready to slap it in first and head out.

RPG

Yeah, I usually let it idle a minute or so after starting on the center stand when it's cold. I don't let it idle very long. The only time I put her up on the center stand is when I park it in my garage. When I get to work, run to the store etc, I usually use the side stand. Dave

Afternoon Shane J.

Sure as long as the side stand is in the UP position.

As long as the rider can rock or ride the bike off the center stand then that is viable option but if they can't then it will stall as soon as the side stand it put down to get the bike off the center stand.

BMW recommends no engine warm-up in place, just start engine and ride off.

I would tend to agree, but I ride year round so a lot of my riding is in low temperature (30's & 40's) and I find a couple of minutes warm up beneficial in those conditions.