IGNORED

Would you buy an ex-rental bike?

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

I'm looking at a 2015 R1200RT at a dealership that's about 90 miles away. Fully loaded, the color I like (San Marino blue), 8000 miles, looks great in pictures. I haven't been able to talk to the dealership yet, due to the holiday weekend. Based on the fact that there was a motorcycle rental place specializing in BMWs next door, and that there are NO aftermarket accessories on the bike, I have a suspicion that this is an ex-rental bike. I'll confirm that when the dealer calls me back.

What do you think about buying an ex-rental bike? I worry that it may not have been broken in properly, but then, some say the best break-in for a BMW is to ride it like you stole it. Or rented it. How abused could it have been in 8000 miles? That might be only 3-5 one-week rentals.

Maybe buy it but insist on them throwing in an extended warranty?

I'm looking at a 2015 R1200RT at a dealership that's about 90 miles away. Fully loaded, the color I like (San Marino blue), 8000 miles, looks great in pictures. I haven't been able to talk to the dealership yet, due to the holiday weekend. Based on the fact that there was a motorcycle rental place specializing in BMWs next door, and that there are NO aftermarket accessories on the bike, I have a suspicion that this is an ex-rental bike. I'll confirm that when the dealer calls me back.

What do you think about buying an ex-rental bike? I worry that it may not have been broken in properly, but then, some say the best break-in for a BMW is to ride it like you stole it. Or rented it. How abused could it have been in 8000 miles? That might be only 3-5 one-week rentals.

Maybe buy it but insist on them throwing in an extended warranty?

Afternoon Bill

Maybe not a problem unless someone like me, or a few riders like me, rented it. I've never been one to baby a rental car or baby a rental motorcycle. But I guess the good news is I haven't ever actually blown up a rental bike either (rental car yes, rental bike no).

Added: You have heard the term ride it like you stole it? I more prefer the term ride it like you rented it.

Edited by dirtrider
Bill_Walker
Maybe not a problem unless someone like me, or a few riders like me, rented it.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. There's no way to tell.

Personally, as long as the maintenance has been done on time, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably safe to say that there are some renters who babied it, and some who didn't. No different than owners, some baby it, some run it hard.

Bottom line is, these things don't fall apart just because you rode them hard. If you like the bike and like the price, buy it.

I think an extended warranty is a good idea for peace of mind, but nothing is "free". I also would be concerned that the bike has been abused.

There are also these...

Good luck on your decision!

Edited by AZgman

The thing that might hold me back, or at least require some closer examination/consideration is that the bike has a dry clutch.

As you know, they just don't stand up to abuse the way a wet clutch does.

The thing that might hold me back, or at least require some closer examination/consideration is that the bike has a dry clutch.

It has a wet clutch, not a dry clutch.

szurszewski

Like everything else, car talk addressed this - as far as cars anyway.

Their conclusion was that with a rental, maybe someone abused it, but if so only for a short period and at least the maintenance was likely followed, whereas with a one owner vehicle you might have had the thing abused its whole life!

Oh - and they also added what you really don't want it a leased vehicle without maintenance records as there is no real incentive for someone who doesn't own a vehicle to keep the engine in shape because it's just going back to the dealer at the end of the lease anyway!

If the price is right and it's still under warranty, I'd say "go for it." Realistically, it's always a roll of the dice when you buy a used vehicle, but it's generally a winning proposition financially. With regard to this particular bike, I'd guess that most folks who would rent an RT would tend to be more experienced and competent riders, suggesting that it likely would not have suffered any real abuse.

It has a wet clutch, not a dry clutch.

My brain saw/registered 2012. I guess I couldn't imagine Bill on something so new after clinging to his R1150RT for so long. :P

realshelby

You should be able to ask about the title and who the previous owner was. If a "company", it might be a rental. If an individual probably not. To put a bike into rental service they have to be titled and that will show up for you. Might be worried over nothing?

Buy a "Rent a Racer"?? An RT sure, not too many ways to mess one up.

Body work would tell a lot. Scratches, drop damages should be apparent.

Most rental cars are lower models with less features. Does this bike have

all the packages a high end RT would have??

What could possibly go wrong??

IF it was a rental it's like buying a used RTP. How's the price??

It would be a nice upgrade from your 1150. :wave:

Take a good look at rotors/brakes.

Years ago a BMW news/mag/demo fleet was sold off by an not to be named dealership.

We saw a couple, they both had rotor issues as the bikes were put through paces by pro riders.

Otherwise OK.

Check provenence, appearance, records.

If it was the dealerships demo bike, it either has been taken care of properly, most likely due to liability issues, or readily apparent it wasn't.

Ride it for a while, different roads/speeds, use all the bells and whistles.

Then negotiate a good deal on extended warranty and enjoy.

Marty Hill

Bill, if your not 100% comfortable. Surely this isn't the only used RT for sale in socal. :wave:

FlyingFinn

Just another opinion among others...

1) Your typical RT rental customer is probably not the worst possible one. Probably pretty responsible, even when riding a rental bike.

2) Rawhide was selling off their old fleet of water cooled GS bikes, and those bikes get "abused" pretty much all their life. Lot of idling, low speed crawling in dust and dirt, full throttle bursts, dirty air all the time... And from what I've seen, even those bikes are serving their new owners quite well.

Mikko

John in VA
Bill, if your not 100% comfortable. Surely this isn't the only used RT for sale in socal. :wave:

+1

There are probably a lot of very clean, low-mileage, one-owner bikes out there to choose from -- with full maintenance records.

Bill_Walker

+1

There are probably a lot of very clean, low-mileage, one-owner bikes out there to choose from -- with full maintenance records.

Not that I've been able to find.

Like everything else, car talk addressed this - as far as cars anyway.

Their conclusion was that with a rental, maybe someone abused it, but if so only for a short period and at least the maintenance was likely followed, whereas with a one owner vehicle you might have had the thing abused its whole life! ...

I'd have to agree with that. We bought several ex-rental cars from Hertz for our kids. The cars all had fairly detailed maintenance records and some factory warranty left and cost quite a bit less than the wholesale value. They were all about a year old but had close to 30k miles on them already. We got over 100K miles on all of them (except the one that my daughter totaled) and the kids probably abused them more than most renters would. I would buy from them again except the they stopped selling in AZ.

A Carfax will show you the title history, at least it does for cars...I don't know about bikes, and will flag if it was a rental.

IMO, look it over carefully and if it looks good and the price is right, go for it.

Bill_Walker
Just another opinion among others...

1) Your typical RT rental customer is probably not the worst possible one. Probably pretty responsible, even when riding a rental bike.

2) Rawhide was selling off their old fleet of water cooled GS bikes, and those bikes get "abused" pretty much all their life. Lot of idling, low speed crawling in dust and dirt, full throttle bursts, dirty air all the time... And from what I've seen, even those bikes are serving their new owners quite well.

Mikko

Good point. It's not like it's a Ducati Panigale.

Bill_Walker
Here's one prospect:

2014 RT 2300 mi.

Part of my problem is that I really, really like the San Marino Blue, and I really don't care much for any of the other colors. I expect to be looking at this thing for a good many years (I've had my 1150 since 2005), so it matters to me.

Bill_Walker
I guess I couldn't imagine Bill on something so new after clinging to his R1150RT for so long. :P

Some of us have other hobbies besides lurking on Craigslist. ;)

John in VA
Here's one prospect:

2014 RT 2300 mi.

Part of my problem is that I really, really like the San Marino Blue, and I really don't care much for any of the other colors. I expect to be looking at this thing for a good many years (I've had my 1150 since 2005), so it matters to me.

Good point - color matters to most of us even though it limits the model-year choices. I felt the same about Platinum.

+1

Not that I've been able to find.

Just have to patient if you want a specific color. You can find just what you are looking for i.e. One owner, low miles, blue , etc . It may not be the cheapest deal out there but I have always found the " best " deal for me may not be the cheapest price. I agree with your comment about color and having to live with it for years to come. Get the bike you really want even if it costs a few more dollars . Life is short!!

Here's one prospect:

2014 RT 2300 mi.

Two slightly used San Marino Blue RT's for sale at a dealer in MN.

http://www.moonmotorsports.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventory#page=xPreOwnedInventory&make=bmw

Let me know if you want somebody to ride one to CA!

Bill_Walker

And it turns out the bike was not a rental bike. One owner, who traded it in on a GSA because he wasn't riding it much. On closer inspection, it had a couple of pieces of dual-lock stuck on for mounting something, so at least there were _some_ farkles! Otherwise, it was pristine, it ran great, and now it's mine!

And it turns out the bike was not a rental bike. One owner, who traded it in on a GSA because he wasn't riding it much. On closer inspection, it had a couple of pieces of dual-lock stuck on for mounting something, so at least there were _some_ farkles! Otherwise, it was pristine, it ran great, and now it's mine!

You would think a longtime member of this board would know...

nopics.gif

nopics.gif

Ban him...

:wave:

realshelby

Yes, Ban Him!

Congrats! You are going to really appreciate the bike. I know you appreciated the Oilhead. But I don't miss anything but the looks of my '04 RT.

John in VA

Woo hoo!

Bill_Walker

nopics.gif

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to take any yet. But, if you've seen one San Marino Blue R1200RT with a silver 49 L top case, you've seen 'em all.

Bill_Walker

This isn't mine (belongs to another member here, davidtn), but it looks just like mine:

a7LaGnv.jpg

Bill_Walker
Excellent news. You'll love it!

It's amazing how much easier it is to ride than the 1150! The CG is much lower, the wet clutch is a doddle, and it's maneuverable as hell. And that's not to mention all the electronic rider aids. I haven't had it on a twisty road yet (maybe tomorrow, if my cough subsides), but I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.

Bill_Walker
Not good enough!!

I have pictures of the USS Missouri... :D

No pictures - it didn't happen...

I've got a bad cough hanging over from my sinus infection of two weeks ago. I shouldn't have been riding up to Long Beach to get the bike, but it had to be done. Maybe I'll drag it out of the garage for some snaps today. If not, maybe tomorrow.

realshelby

It's amazing how much easier it is to ride than the 1150! The CG is much lower, the wet clutch is a doddle, and it's maneuverable as hell. And that's not to mention all the electronic rider aids. I haven't had it on a twisty road yet (maybe tomorrow, if my cough subsides), but I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.

Yes! it feels 200 lbs lighter and while the seat height is lower the more narrow mid section is a HUGE improvement in low speed manners and paddling it around. It will take you a bit to learn it. While I loved the looks of the '04 Titan silver RT I had, even if I had kept it there would be no miles put on it with the '14 sitting there........

And if it were platinum bronze it could be perfect :rofl:

Shiny Side Up
Not good enough!!

I have pictures of the USS Missouri... :D

No pictures - it didn't happen...

I've got a bad cough hanging over from my sinus infection of two weeks ago. I shouldn't have been riding up to Long Beach to get the bike, but it had to be done. Maybe I'll drag it out of the garage for some snaps today. If not, maybe tomorrow.

Ok, you're off the hook due to illness... for now!! :thumbsup:

I keep thinking I want to trade my RTW for a GSA, then I ride it. :revit: That thought then completely goes away! :dontknow:

Pat