IGNORED

Give me a brake

dirtrider

Would not have expected parking lot maneuvers to generate enough heat to cause total brake fade. Must have been dragging the brake nearly continuously.

Would not have expected parking lot maneuvers to generate enough heat to cause total brake fade. Must have been dragging the brake nearly continuously.

Evening Larry

I don't know how high Cove Lake is but if at a high enough altitude it doesn't take an awful lot of brake heat with some moisture in the brake fluid to change the brake system from hydraulic to pneumatic.

lawnchairboy

You got that right. I almost shat myself coming down off of Imogene pass going down to Teluride when my DR's rear brake went AWAY. My fault, didn't modulate with the front at all. Lesson learned.

Joe Frickin' Friday

The front brake typically has two enormous disks with good airflow over them, a great setup for dissipating heat. The rear - especially on a sportbike - typically has a tiny rotor, and it's more hidden from the slipstream. Moreover, there's not much of a slipstream at parking-lot speeds, so it's not hard to imagine it getting smoking hot after half an hour of parking-lot maneuvers.

Back in 2001 some friends and I rented Grattan Raceway for a day. My buddies all showed up with crotchrockets, and I came on my '99 R1100RT. A great time, but it was awfully hard on the RT's brakes:

2001-10-060-L.jpg

Late in the day I braked hard for one turn, powered out, and then braked for the next turn, and the lever came all the way back to the bar with no resistance. I slowed a bit by stomping on the rear, but ended up running off into the grassy infield just as the front brakes started to come back to life; I managed to get it stopped in the grass without tipping over, and decided I was done for the day. :grin: