IGNORED

Audio on New RT

2wheeler

Sorry if this is in wrong section, but I quickly perused the other topic and didn't see it. I'm considering an RT again, but have questions on audio. I have a wired autocom avi pro (I think). The new BMWs are bluetooth which I have heard are not all that good at volume control across inputs, etc.

What do you buy for your helmet? How do you integrate a radar detector or other non-bike inputs, FRS/CB? Is there a better source to find answers to my questions? Thanks.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don't have a brand spankin' new beemer, but the Sena S20 is rumored to be compatible with the BMW protocol. A Sena SM10 adapter will take inputs and put them out to any Sena product.

If you wished, you could take the radio and, with a bit of work, wire it to the SM10 to have everything broadcast on one channel.

Currently I have a Sena 20S...works great. Previously used an N-Com B4 PLUS...worked great too. Both units had an input port that allowed me to plug in the RADAR detector audio. Additionally, I've plugged the RADAR detector audio into the auxiliary port in the right side glove box. That worked too although I only tried it once and don't remember the specifics. Volume control is accomplished on the helmet unit when Bluetoothing. If the Sena 20S allows volume control with the WonderWheel, I don't know how to do that.

I went with the Sena SMH-10... now updated to the SMH-20. I like it so much I sometimes go for a ride just to listen to my music.

Of course it uses bluetooth and you can access all the GPS prompts, and the bike radio.

Once you break the code on the various pairings... it is all automatic. The Sena does not produce the high fidelity sound like sitting in a living room but it works well enough for me, and adds a lot to the ride experience...

I have a 2012 RT With the audio package and I can tell you the Sirius radio quality is really bad at speed via Bluetooth. Via the Autocomm, it was perfect.

I switched to a Sena 20S this year and what I found to work was to wire the 'rear speakers' to a 3.5mm phono jack, plug that into a really small Bluetooth transmitter, and then pair that transmitter to my Sena. GREAT sound quality.

Jim

nh_handyman
No.

grrrr

I'll have to figure something out SENA/Nav/Bike don't play together and that 'rear speaker' hack seemed like a clean solution.

John in VA

This speaker bridge will let you control speaker output:

MotoChello bridge

If you wire the bike's speaker output through the MotoChello bridge/switch into a cheap compact Bluetooth 4.1 transmitter (far superior to the bike's Bluetooth), you can control and pipe the bike's radio/Sirius/Aux input to your Sena.

The only thing the Sena S20 doesn't do is volume control via the wonder wheel.

I wear ear buds with mine, and although I can control the INPUT side of the AUX (ipod via the lead in the glove box), the radio is at a preset volume, and cannot be adjusted via the wonder wheel. Even with the volume on the S20 set at minimum, the radio is too loud for me.

John.

Thanks. I was going to try to come up with something like that myself. I'll do some more checking..

Instead of going off the speakers, you can also tap into the output wires from the radio under the seat! Here are the audio conductors ID:

Color codes for the wires coming out of the Alpine unit:

Left spkr - =yellow w/ brown stripe. Connect to white gnd of audio cable

Left spkr + = yellow w/ red stripe. Connect to black wire of audio cable

Right spkr - =blue w/ brown stripe. Connect to white gnd of audio cable

Right spkr + = blue w/ red stripe. Connect to red wire of audio cable

nh_handyman
Thanks. I was going to try to come up with something like that myself. I'll do some more checking..

Instead of going off the speakers, you can also tap into the output wires from the radio under the seat! Here are the audio conductors ID:

Color codes for the wires coming out of the Alpine unit:

Left spkr - =yellow w/ brown stripe. Connect to white gnd of audio cable

Left spkr + = yellow w/ red stripe. Connect to black wire of audio cable

Right spkr - =blue w/ brown stripe. Connect to white gnd of audio cable

Right spkr + = blue w/ red stripe. Connect to red wire of audio cable

Thanks!

The concerns/thoughts I have are:

a) I need a way to limit the volume level into what ever I use for the bluetooth dongle

b) I need a way to re-connect the speakers when I actually might want to use them. However,right now, the speakers simply look like extra weight and I don't imagine ever using them... that will of course, change :-)

John in VA

The MotoChello can be wired so that you can alternate between speakers and Bluetooth using the switch on the unit. That requires snipping your speaker wires but they could easily be restored/spliced back. As PadG says you can get at the wires under the seat or you can run the switch into the fairing pocket from the wires at the speakers. It provides isolated grounds and correct impedance for the Alpine amp. Volume to the Bluetooth would be controlled by the bike's wonder wheel.