IGNORED

Fractured Face / Edge on Rear Caliper Pistons - Replace?

Claudio

Bike: 2003 R1150RT

Due to a lost caliper bolt that went unnoticed for some time, I suffered some damage to my rear braking system (caliper was held only by front bolt and tilted up/forward as a result).

For safety sake I replaced the disc and pads of course, however, I also noticed crumbling of the face of the rear caliper piston (attached image).

I am leaning toward rebuilding the caliper but wanted a second opinion (maybe I am too paranoid).

Assuming a rebuild is in order (it looks horrific to me), I can't seem to find the rebuild kit for the rear caliper that includes the piston. BMW only lists the seals? Anyone have a source for a complete kit (seals and pistons)?

6697.jpg.aefc34fb1f1d125e2440d035e68d76b5.jpg

Edited by Claudio
Michaelr11

You might take a look for a good used caliper. Put the caliper part number into a search - 34217660271 - and you should find a caliper available. Looks like approximately $46.

That piston on yours is probably okay but you have to make that call.

Same bike , same problem. My caliper fell off at 70 mph and I didn't notice till I got off the bike about an hour later. I think all the braking I did caused the cracking as the Pistons were not pushing on an even surface. That was 70,000 miles ago. Still using the same caliper. I do check for degradation when I change pads and haven't noticed any, so I pretty much gave up worrying about it.

Good to here its a plastic cap of sorts on the piston and nothing more. I'll monitor it for now and live with it.

Brake and new disc are in and working just fine.

Thanks Lowndes. These are great sources I didn't know about.

Unfortunately the rear calliper (26/28 mm) has no rebuild kit that includes the pistons/pucks.

I ended up ordering a used calliper (complete with ABS sensor and brake line which I don't need but a spare set of parts for my aging bike is never a bad idea).