IGNORED

Rubber plug for timing window

BMW_EML

Through my own stupidity and carelessness I pushed the rubberized plug through the hole and into the flywheel housing. Are there any tricks to retrieving it? Are there any major problems in my future, if I cannot retrieve and leave it in there?

Charles Elms

It's going to be down below the flywheel, so no issues there. I'm sure lots of RT's have pushed in plugs accumulating there. I usually had a few spares, but when I didn't, I found that if you clean the area well with a good solvent, a small patch of duct tape will cover the hole for a lot longer than you would imagine. All you want to do is keep water out.

Here is a tip I used to install the rubber plug. Look closely at the rubber plug. It has a ridge rim which goes into the hole. BTW, mine has a straight edge on one side. I used a stick with some sticky stuff to hold the plug at the hole. Then, pushed the rounded rim edge into the hole (carefully), then pushed the straight side in.

I was prepared to put Gorilla tape over the hole but it was not needed.

You can also get a replacement plug for an airhead. It fits perfectly and is much thicker and harder to push through.