IGNORED

Loving this old bike

RPG

Start of a new season, already 3,000 miles into the year and while riding to work this morning, I'm reminded how much I love this old bike.

2004 RT, just under 95k and I don't think it's run any better, sounded and shifted any quieter, ridden any smoother. I change the oil with Amsoil and pretty much don't even check the level anymore, 'cause it doesn't change.

I put a new Sargent seat on over the winter (amazing comfort btw), addressed the (only 8 bars showing on the fuel gauge) issue, new dashboard LED's and some other routine maintenance, but overall, this bike still puts a huge smile on my face every single ride. I lost about 25 lbs. over the winter so it even feels faster. :)

I thought I might pull the heads to check on things at 100k, but I'm just gonna put the miles on until it starts smoking.

AND, it's paid for and no, I've never had a FD issue.

Just thought I'd share.

RPG

Stan Walker

Congratulations!

Losing weight and keeping it off are among the hardest things to do at any age, and it doesn't get easier as you get older. DAMHIK!

The R1150RT's are still a BMW classic. My '02 with 143K will be in my stable until I can no longer ride in the far distant future. It's still my first choice for any long trips (my 2 Fx00's get used more locally).

Shiny Side Up
Start of a new season, already 3,000 miles into the year and while riding to work this morning, I'm reminded how much I love this old bike.

2004 RT, just under 95k and I don't think it's run any better, sounded and shifted any quieter, ridden any smoother. I change the oil with Amsoil and pretty much don't even check the level anymore, 'cause it doesn't change.

I put a new Sargent seat on over the winter (amazing comfort btw), addressed the (only 8 bars showing on the fuel gauge) issue, new dashboard LED's and some other routine maintenance, but overall, this bike still puts a huge smile on my face every single ride. I lost about 25 lbs. over the winter so it even feels faster. :)

I thought I might pull the heads to check on things at 100k, but I'm just gonna put the miles on until it starts smoking.

AND, it's paid for and no, I've never had a FD issue.

Just thought I'd share.

RPG

I'm with ya' Bro'...

Another 2004 in Titan Silver. She has some road wear as far as cosmetics go, but still strong on every front. I thought about rebuilding the final drive over last winter, but sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone!! LOL!

No leaks, new tires and battery. I did replace the lame headlight halogen bulb with an LED - WOW!!!

I too have done all the maintenance (except for the tires) and it's

just a great motorcycle.

Think I'll give her a name...

I would have lost the bet when I saw that title. I thought you were going to talk about that other old bike!

I sure like mine. It has only 35K miles on it and runs great. I like the effortless cruising around 80-85 mph.

Do you still have the whizzy brakes? Any issues with them in those miles?

What a perfect way to start the riding season! Congrats!

I thought the riding season was from January to December :thumbsup:

Shiny Side Up
I sure like mine. It has only 35K miles on it and runs great. I like the effortless cruising around 80-85 mph.

I don't - at 72k

97k and whizzy's still whizzing.

Hey Mark, Still rockin' with the original whizzy binders. Not one single issue. Wait. Check that. I'm anal about maintenance so I flush and refill the system every winter and maybe that helps. Their stopping power still amazes me.

You NC guys have it all. Cherohala, Blue Ridge, NC28......Not to mention all the sub roads in around the Parkway and ladies in Daisy Dukes all summer.

Life ain't fair.

You NC guys have it all. Cherohala, Blue Ridge, NC28......Not to mention all the sub roads in around the Parkway and ladies in Daisy Dukes all summer.

Life ain't fair.

I went on a trip for work in late 2015 for three months, returned in November and can count on both hands how many times I've driven a four wheeled vehicle to work since then,.....my commute is 50 miles one way.

Edited by Living the Dream

16K miles and counting for my '04.

Back from a major service...Pilot Road 4 GT's, all lubes and complete brake fluid service.

This ones a keeper.

6696.jpg.3f355037f6c5c8e44d4be23bb5f51474.jpg

Back from a major service...Pilot Road 4 GT's, all lubes and complete brake fluid service.

This ones a keeper.

16K? Did you drop a digit? That's barely over a thousand miles/year.

I went through 1 BMW a year ('12 RT[hit/run total], '12 GTL [left pull], '15 RT [nice, but..]) until I got a '16 GSA. Everything I like, nothing I don't. Certainly not old enough to fit the title of this thread but it's MY keeper!

I sold my one owner 2004 RT last summer and to tell the truth I kind of miss big blue now and then. I found a lightly (1200 miles) used 2010 FJR which I bought and while it's a nice machine it somehow lacks the character and possibly the refinement of an R1150RT. Not sure I would do it again. My RT was kind of like an old boot, it just had a nice fit.

This ones a keeper.

16K? Did you drop a digit? That's barely over a thousand miles/year.

I went through 1 BMW a year ('12 RT[hit/run total], '12 GTL [left pull], '15 RT [nice, but..]) until I got a '16 GSA. Everything I like, nothing I don't. Certainly not old enough to fit the title of this thread but it's MY keeper!

You are correct, I was a bit on the low side, it's actually 16.4K.

Bought it last fall, one owner, at 14K. Haven't had much seat time due to some surgery, but will pack on some miles soon. Stunningly good bike that has/will be relevant for a long time.