IGNORED

Safe Effective Tar Removal

duegatti

Last year, I used "Tar X" on my 2016 RT. It appeared to streak the hell out of the engine case; I don't remember if the wheels were involved or not. I thought this was going to be a disaster, but the streaking disappeared in a couple of days/rides. However, I remain loathe to use "Tar X" again.

I've come back from an awful ride to Asheville through hellacious real time paving road construction. I need to use a tar remover. Can anyone recommend something safe and effective?

Many thanks.

greiffster

When you're driving through a construction zone with active asphalt paving, notice the 5 gallon buckets hanging off the side of the paver. There is usually a shovel or two or small rake in the bucket when not in use. Those buckets are full of diesel fuel which dissolves bitumens like nothing else.

Folks will argue whether or not it's safe for auto/motorcycle finishes. I put some on a cloth and wipe off the tar then rinse the area. I've never had any issues.

realshelby

Mike, I wouldn't be surprised if WD 40 isn't a similar chemical base compared to kerosene/diesel fuel. I have used diesel fuel or WD 40 for years to remove tar and have yet to see a problem with it.

alegerlotz
Mike, I wouldn't be surprised if WD 40 isn't a similar chemical base compared to kerosene/diesel fuel. I have used diesel fuel or WD 40 for years to remove tar and have yet to see a problem with it.

I believe that the oily ingredient of WD-40 is fish oil!

Rider1200RT

Diesel or WD40 work magic. Just don't let it sit on the paint too long. It seems certain clear coats are more susceptible too yellowing from them. That's why a good coat of wax on the painted bits helps too....

greiffster

I think they have disproved that. While the makers of WD-40 have always tried to keep the formula a secret, the MSDS sheet doesn't lie. It's petroleum based.

szurszewski

I think they have disproved that. While the makers of WD-40 have always tried to keep the formula a secret, the MSDS sheet doesn't lie. It's petroleum based.

I'm pretty sure, barring those with allergies, carp oil counts as a "non-hazardous ingredient"....

https://wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf

Any of these recommendations for diesel and WD-40 based on experience specifically with the engines and wheels of current generation RT's?

realshelby

I have used WD 40 several times on the wheels, don't remember if I have used it on the engine or not.

I have used WD 40 several times on the wheels, don't remember if I have used it on the engine or not.

I've used it on the engine many times. No problems.

GT

I found some tar on my Illium bars just yesterday. A few squirts and it came off.

Didn't have any on the engine, so I didn't try it there.

But the wife's Aero had it on the chrome and a few spots on paint. Came off nicely there. She was washing the bike already, so she just wiped those spots down right away with soapy wash cloth.