IGNORED

1998 r1100rt rear shock preload leaking

Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand

Hi everyone,

My rear shock was a bit low when riding two up. I read recommandations on different forum sugesting to refill the preload to extend it's life a little. I did and it help

A lot. But the preload seems to leak a little, i suppose there must be an oring on the preload piston wich must need changing, but unfortunately the part is only sold as a whole in bmw parts list. Anybody replace just the o-ring? Any part number or suitable

replacementpart available

Thanks!

Rob

Maybe buy a used shock from almost any bmw and replace it.

I'm sure a used aftermarket one would be more expensive .

Robert Mayrand

Thanks for the suggestion, but going this way and buying a used one, I may have the same problem as soon as it's on the bike or in a shortwhile. If I can't afford an aftermarket replacement, i always prefer to repair instead of replacing with used stuff, especially when I suspect that i could repair this for a few bucks if I can find the wright o-ring.

Robert,

Can you even get that O-ring out?? I've always heard these Showa units were not rebuildable. Not sure about that preload adjuster. I have a 99R11RT that I suspect needs the oil refill too but can't find that thread with the instructions again.

If you can get the O-ring out, measure the thickness and OD. I'd bet you can find metric O-rings of every size on the 'net. May have to wait a few days to get it, tho. Auto parts places have selections of O-rings, too.

If you get it apart, please post some pics.

dirtrider
Hi everyone,

My rear shock was a bit low when riding two up. I read recommandations on different forum sugesting to refill the preload to extend it's life a little. I did and it help

A lot. But the preload seems to leak a little, i suppose there must be an oring on the preload piston wich must need changing, but unfortunately the part is only sold as a whole in bmw parts list. Anybody replace just the o-ring? Any part number or suitable

replacementpart available

Morning Rob

Can you see signs of where it's leaking? If it was completely empty the last time that you filled it then maybe there was some air trapped in the preload hose or piston area. Maybe try filling it again to see if more fluid will replace any air that seeped out after last fill.

I haven't ever had the preload piston out of the BMW so I'm not sure that you can even get them apart.

Years ago (not on a BMW system though) I had a similar seeping remote shock adjuster that was sealed & I couldn't get it apart without cutting it apart.

I actually got it to stop seeping by removing the preload adjuster cylinder, draining the old fluid out overnight, then backing the adjuster knob off, then pushing the piston back in as far as I could with a metal rod.

Then mixing up a 50/50 mixture of hydraulic jack oil & power steering stop leak (seal sweller), then standing the remote adjuster on end (hose attachment at top), then filling the remote cylinder with that 50/50 mix.

I then placed the remote adjuster out in the hot sun for a day with a rubber plug in the outlet (hose attachment hole) then let it sit all night in my shop.

Next day I drained the remote adjuster, turned the adjuster knob in a couple of turns, then turned it back out & used that metal rod to again push the piston all the way back.

I then filled it with 100% hydraulic jack oil & re-installed it.

That adjuster worked OK for another 2 years before I traded the bike.

DR,

I looked at Hagon site for replacement shock.

For some reason they stop at 1997, at least when I looked briefly.

Don't recall what changed in '98...

:dopeslap:

can you remind me?

Hagon makes good, reasonably priced shocks for older BMW's

and my mind seems to have lost the changes for then.

Thanks, as always.

Eckhard Grohe

I have an old shock you can have. It is missing the detent ball from the adjuster but you can scavenge that from you present adjuster.

I'll sell you some Ohlins for $850 Can. I would guess they have less than 10K km on them. They have a big guy spring on the rear shock to help with the fine roads we have in Quebec.

Robert Mayrand

Good evening Eckhard,

Unfortunately, ohlins would be nice but are out of my budget, especially since I'm not at small guy at nearly 300lbs. But if you are serious for your old shock, i would take you on that offer, maybe i could salvage some parts and it would be of great help, If so tell me when your available and we could meet. I'm near St-Hilaire but love to ride...already 4000km this year, even with our foul weather!

Rob

robertmayrand@gmail.com

Eckhard Grohe

The Ohlins spring on the shock is the strongest they have. I weigh 260 and it is OK for me and the wife. I had Kyle Racing upgrade it early on because the shock bottomed out on the wonderful roads here in Chateauguay.

I'd be happy to give you the stock shock I have as it is a spare I wanted to electrify to be able to raise and lower the bike with the push of a button. I have relatively short legs, 28" inseam, and I don't like being on my toes that much. I am retired so I am available during the week. Weekends reserved to spend time with the wife.