IGNORED

GPS mounting in the LC RT

bobbybob

Has anyone seen a mount that attaches to the top-center of the triple clamp, i.e. the bolt beneath the roundel? Or anywhere else that could place a GPS in that area?

Yeah, I know theres a NAV5 mount built-in and I do have a NAV5. However I was disappointed by its performance on my old GS, and now on the RT the wonder wheel interface has been virtually destroyed.

So maybe I would get a 4-button cradle for it and mount it in arms reach. Or even resurrect my old GPSmap 478 which IMHO was the epitome of motorcycle GPS's.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, but that places the GPS in the same location as the existing NAV5 mount, too far to reach. And they don't make one for the LC RT's.

Thanks for that, good suggestion. I hadn't looked at Ram's website for a while, didn't know they had all those.

I have a Migsel GPS mount on my 14RT ( bolt on application for up to 2013 RTs ) like the other gentleman stated they aren't cheap but extremely well made. If you would like to see how mine is mounted send me your e-mail address and I'll send you photos. This mount puts the GPS closer and higher than the stock mounting area which is a plus .

Same goes with mine. Am not using the ball mount, have made

a better and more solid mount. If you have a machinist friend,

can use some spacers and bring you GPS exactly where you want it.

If you wish to see it, can send you the picture, just to have an idea.

May even be able to use your existing mount!!.

and now on the RT the wonder wheel interface has been virtually destroyed.

I have to ask you what you mean by this?

I'd love to see any mounting pics u can send me.

Bobbeale@carolina.rr.com

Have sent a few pic's. to your address.

Discard the first email, I forgot to

attach the pictures!! :/

I should be more clear. The comparison is between the LC R1200 GS's and the LC-RT's. In the GS, the wheel controls map zooming in/out by simply twisting the wheel--very quick and smooth, no menu selections to change from + to - . You are also able to scroll thru any of the NAV pages using the wheel and actually make selections, such as "Take me home", "speak" etc, and it displays more pages that don't appear on the RT's display. It is simply a MUCH better more intuitive interface . And the crazy thing is they "could" have let it happen on the RT also by simply turning Nav control over to the wheel whenever the Nav page is displayed on the Dashboard--without the clunky menu selection changes by twisting the wheel/etc. If you could try them side-by-side it would be very evident to you. Then you could be pissed also. :grin:

Edited by bobbybob

Lots of great suggestions--thanks to all!

But the only pic I saw that would do what I am wanting was a TomTom GPS mounted on a RAM ball attached to the left handlebar bolt. How did that work? Special bolt?--looks like a spacer...? That could work for me I think....

and now on the RT the wonder wheel interface has been virtually destroyed.

The wonderwheel works differently on an RT versus a GS with respect to the GPS. Don't ask why... Germany has already decided this is how it should be!

I should be more clear. The comparison is between the LC R1200 GS's and the LC-RT's. In the GS, the wheel controls map zooming in/out by simply twisting the wheel--very quick and smooth, no menu selections to change from + to - . You are also able to scroll thru any of the NAV pages using the wheel and actually make selections, such as "Take me home", "speak" etc, and it displays more pages that don't appear on the RT's display. It is simply a MUCH better more intuitive interface . And the crazy thing is they "could" have let it happen on the RT also by simply turning Nav control over to the wheel whenever the Nav page is displayed on the Dashboard--without the clunky menu selection changes by twisting the wheel/etc. If you could try them side-by-side it would be very evident to you. Then you could be pissed also. :grin:

I AM!