IGNORED

Fuel level sensor?

Imgnr

Hello,

I just made a big mistake by buying a 2004 Rockster on a whim w/o fully checking it out. It's been crashed on both sides and some low skilled backyard mechanic has futzed around with it. Now I'm stuck w/ the bike and am attempting to put it back on the road. :dopeslap: I know there must be a huge knowledge base here and hoping to give back one day.

The bike never started so I don't know whether it even runs or what issues may be lurking out there.

First question: I opened up the gas tank to change the filter and noticed right away that the inside doesn't look anything like the pictures on the web or even on the exploded factory diagram. I don't have a float or float arm. My fuel pump seems to be on a long bracket and there's a plastic mechanism (don't know what it is) in the middle of all the junk. Did the PO swap the part w/ another bike?

Also, the hoses are all toast. They're crumbly and I know it's going to start falling apart so I'd like to replace them. I'll do a search on this site but if someone would like to send me a link to what kind of hose to get, length, and instructions, I'd be grateful.

Thank you!

bmw.jpg

szurszewski

I'm going to let someone smarter tell you what you do/don't have there that shouldn't/should be there, but you can get everything from "everything" down to just hoses and clamps here:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/r81111r1fupu.html

If you're not familiar with them, they come highly recommended around here - I've ordered from them many times personally - and offer great service and good prices. If you need something you don't see, or if you just have questions, call them.

Cool bike - I hope you get to ride it!

josh

I got a hold an r1150r manual and it looks like mine. I'm confused because the other on-line pics show a float...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Capture.jpg

I think I know why there's no float. The bike doesn't seem to have a fuel gauge. Duh. The diagrams for Rockster shows a float...

dirtrider
I think I know why there's no float. The bike doesn't seem to have a fuel gauge. Duh. The diagrams for Rockster shows a float...

Morning Imgnr

Not all parts diagrams are accurate (especially on the R bike variants)--In a lot

of cases I need to use the R850R parts diagrams on some of the 1150 R bike variants

to find parts or wire diagrams.

Any idea on what country that your bike was built for, or originally shipped to? It

could be a gray market import. If so all bets are off.

In any case it looks like the bike that you have only has a low fuel light (no fuel

gauge or in-tank float). That white cylinder with the white/blue wire & brown wire

running into it is the low-fuel-light sensor).

I can't tell you off the top of my head what you will need as far as fuel hose lengths

or molded bends in the hoses but ANY hose that you use in the tank must be fuel submersion

rated plus any hose that you use on the in-tank pressurized side must be not only FI

(fuel injection pressure rated) but also fuel submersible rated.

Also be darn sure to use proper FI (fuel injection rated) type hose clamps as regular

worm screw type clamps can dig into the hose over time & allow the pressure hoses to

blow off their fittings.

Edited by dirtrider

Imgnr,

EME (Euromotoelectrics) in Denver has very good prices on some aftermarket parts, too.

FWIW, your fuel pump and filter sock along with the wiring look like they are in very decent shape. The filter sock on mine split open during removal, just old and brittle.

Per what DirtRider said about the hose clamps (and everything else), please take heed. AMHIK.

Also, on the internal hoses, the pre-formed "U" hoses are somewhat easier to get back into the tank thru the small flange port. It takes some fiddling, just be patient with it!!

Thank you all. I ordered new hoses (internal and external) and clamps from beemerboneyard as szurszewski suggested. Ordered the screw clamps (not the worm type) so they shouldn't dig into the hoses as much.

I have other questions about the bike. Should I start a new thread or continue with this one?

Next question is: How can I tell if the bike came from the factory w/o ABS or whether it had an ABSectomy? If the latter, I'd need to make sure the job was done correctly as my life depends upon it.

dirtrider
Thank you all. I ordered new hoses (internal and external) and clamps from beemerboneyard as szurszewski suggested. Ordered the screw clamps (not the worm type) so they shouldn't dig into the hoses as much.

I have other questions about the bike. Should I start a new thread or continue with this one?

Next question is: How can I tell if the bike came from the factory w/o ABS or whether it had an ABSectomy? If the latter, I'd need to make sure the job was done correctly as my life depends upon it.

Evening Imgnr

You should probably start new threads when the subject changes but it's

your thread so if you want to hijack your own thread that is up to you.

Problem is if you keep going in the same thread it will get so convoluted

that you will have a difficult time going back & finding info in it.

On IF it came with ABS question-- that isn't an an easy answer. Problem is

we really don't know what bike you have under the Rockster plastics or where

it was originally shipped.

If a US bike then it more than likely came with ABS. If a gray market bike

then anybody's guess.

If you have the fuel tank off then look to see if any of the original ABS

controller mounting parts are there (or signs that something WAS mounted there).

Also look in that area to see if it has the ABS connector or part of the ABS

wire harness with some cut & spliced wires (needed to remove ABS & get brake

lights to work).

Also see if the front & rear wheels have any signs that tone rings were mounted

to them at one time.

Edited by dirtrider

Thank you - the front wheels have the rings. I cannot find the connector for the ABS module unless it's been cut away. Also looked carefully at the mounting holes where the module would go but don't see any marks from nuts / bolts. I doubt it's gray market so probably had ABS at some point in its hard life.

Alan Sykes

There's several ways to check whether a Rockster was a US or EU market bike - the flipping VIN is the first of course, checking with the on-line VIN identifier site.

As to ABS - even if the front wheel was replaced on a non-ABS bike with an ABS-bike's front wheel, just look at the swing-arm beneath the right-hand end of the rear brake caliper. An original non-ABS bike had the ABS sensor hole blanked-off when the casting was moulded in Berlin-Spandau.

And if you're short of things to do, you could always remove thirteen fixing screws, four fuel lines and an electrical connector in order to lift off the fuel tank to see whether the ABS unit is there, or whether you've got an ideal empty space in front of the battery that's perfect for smuggling illegal contraband.

Rocksters ended around 2005/6. They don't have a fuel gauge - just a low-fuel warning lamp.

I've got a Photobucket picture - several - but on this site I don't know how to URL it so it appears with this text. On my fave Honda forum it's a doddle.

Help from anybody ?

ALAN in s.e. Spain

Edited by Alan Sykes
There's several ways to check whether a Rockster was a US or EU market bike - the flipping VIN is the first of course, checking with the on-line VIN identifier site.

As to ABS - even if the front wheel was replaced on a non-ABS bike with an ABS-bike's front wheel, just look at the swing-arm beneath the right-hand end of the rear brake caliper. An original non-ABS bike had the ABS sensor hole blanked-off when the casting was moulded in Berlin-Spandau.

And if you're short of things to do, you could always remove thirteen fixing screws, four fuel lines and an electrical connector in order to lift off the fuel tank to see whether the ABS unit is there, or whether you've got an ideal empty space in front of the battery that's perfect for smuggling illegal contraband.

Rocksters ended around 2005/6. They don't have a fuel gauge - just a low-fuel warning lamp.

I've got a Photobucket picture - several - but on this site I don't know how to URL it so it appears with this text. On my fave Honda forum it's a doddle.

Help from anybody ?

ALAN in s.e. Spain

Alan,

I'm not a photobucket user, but I just went to their "recent uploads" page and am using one of those for this example.

1. When I moved my mouse over the picture, an icon appeared (three stacked horizontal lines).

2. When I placed the cursor over that icon, a menu appeared.

3. I clicked on "Share", and a pop-up window opened.

4. Next, I selected the "IMG" link option.

5. On my Windows PC, I copied that link by entering right-clicking on it and selecting "copy"

6. Next, I just pasted that directly in this post by typing ctrl-v.

DSC04139.jpg

Voila.

Alan Sykes

Thanks MN - let me try to insert a foto of my truly wonderful auto-transmission 6-speed Honda NC750S-DCT with the dual clutches and the option of either full-auto with two Drive modes: D or S for Sport, with instant on-the-fly override of either auto mode, or full manual by using theleft-hand bar paddles for up and downshifts - a truly phenomenal forward move in motorcycle transmission design, leaving one free to concentrate entirely on defensive riding watching for dopey cagers :-

Honda%20March%2017%20a_zps1ktjcxfl.jpg

Suucess ! Thanks for your help my friend.

AL in s.e. Spain

Edited by Alan Sykes