IGNORED

Tank bag options for 2013 RT

RTinNC

Riding buddy with '13 RT is looking for tank bag options other than th BMW bag that fits on the tank rack? Looked at Givi with fuel fill lock but they don't appear to make one. Any suggestions

Riding buddy with '13 RT is looking for tank bag options other than th BMW bag that fits on the tank rack? Looked at Givi with fuel fill lock but they don't appear to make one. Any suggestions

Morning RTinNC

Years ago I went through the same thing when looking for a smaller tank bag for my 1200RT. I ended up buying a BMW tank bag base plate off of E-Bay then making a cardboard tank bag to fit that plate & clear the handlebars & horn button at full lock. I then sent that cardboard mock-up to Big Mac & having him build me a custom tank bag. He sold those bags for a while but the baseplate procurement was a big issue so it really didn't fly.

So my one suggestion to you & your friend is: POSITIVELY try any tank bag on the bike before buying as some look like they will positively work when you see them hanging in the store but they just won't fully clear the handlebars at full lock (I can't even tell you how many bags I looked at that I was sure would work but didn't when I tried them on the bike)

Edited by dirtrider

Morning RTinNC

Years ago I went through the same thing when looking for a smaller tank bag for my 1200RT. I ended up buying a BMW tank bag base plate off of E-Bay then making a cardboard tank bag to fit that plate & clear the handlebars & horn button at full lock. I then sent that cardboard mock-up to Big Mac & having him build me a custom tank bag. He sold those bags for a while but the baseplate procurement was a big issue so it really didn't fly.

So my one suggestion to you & your friend is: POSITIVLY try any tank bag on the bike before buying as some look like they will positively work when you see them hanging in the store but they just won't fully clear the handlebars at full lock (I can't even tell you how many bags I looked at that I was sure would work but didn't when I tried them on the bike)

Thanks DR! Funny but last year before I sold my '06 RT I started doing just what you suggest. Bought a trashed BMW bag for about $100, stripped off the bag and began my hunt for a bag that would fit. Never found a bag before I sold the RT. I then sold the plastic base plate :dopeslap: