IGNORED

Fuel Strip Dead

Sonor

I am on my third fuel strip and it has not functioned correctly since the day it was installed. It would register a full tank when only a gallon was left. Well tonight it did the opposite, it now shows a completely empty tank and I know that other than 45 miles, it is full. My question is, will this bogus reading affect the on board computer or any function of the bike? Also, is there anyway to permanently shut off the flashing fuel pump and the yellow triangle? Damn annoying ...

I am on my third fuel strip and it has not functioned correctly since the day it was installed. It would register a full tank when only a gallon was left. Well tonight it did the opposite, it now shows a completely empty tank and I know that other than 45 miles, it is full. My question is, will this bogus reading affect the on board computer or any function of the bike? Also, is there anyway to permanently shut off the flashing fuel pump and the yellow triangle? Damn annoying ...

Evening Sonor

First thing to do is contact your dealer as BMW has significantly lengthened the warranty on those fuel strips.

No easy way to turn off the yellow light-- it can be done with some electronics in the fuel sensor wiring but sure not easily. (black tape works temporarily though)

The failed fuel strip won't cause any problems with the onboard computer but anything that the computer uses the fuel gage input for will not read correctly.

You can t-r-y a heavy dose of Techron but that seldom brings back a failed fuel strip.

Thanks guys - I just hate spending more time at the dealers just to have the same results over and over.

Morning Sonor

You might not be wasting time-- I went through the same thing on my 1200RT (like 8 or 9 fuel strips--I'd have to look at my records might even be 10) then I finally got one that has worked for 2 years now.

I understand the sentiment DR, but if you think time is money and you spend 3 hrs. each time getting the darn thing replaced, how much are you actually spending in terms of dollars? At what rate is your time worth? Multiply that times the number of times you get the *%&$ thing replaced and how much have you spent? Therein lies a real problem.

I understand the sentiment DR, but if you think time is money and you spend 3 hrs. each time getting the darn thing replaced, how much are you actually spending in terms of dollars? At what rate is your time worth? Multiply that times the number of times you get the *%&$ thing replaced and how much have you spent? Therein lies a real problem.

Afternoon Sonor

Actually not much wasted time as I BS with the tecs, drink their coffee, maybe ride a new demo bike, to me it isn't a chore but a visit.

Who knows, you might actually end up with a good lasting fuel strip.

I'm on my 5th strip. 3rd and 4th only made it one season :mad:

This one actually has lasted just over 2years now, I did notice last summer it was getting twitchy ( at about 1/4 tank it would loose the reading. So I ran the Techron CONCENTRATE in one tank and it became an intermittent issue. Then stored it with a full tank and 1/2 blt of Techron. Ran it down almost all the way this spring and have had no issues with it. I'm gonna try Techron every 4-5 tanks now

So what about techron makes it so different than let's say Seafoam or OneShot from Amsoil? I guess I will have to research Techron to find out more. But which do you use, the fuel system cleaner or the injector cleaner? As it is, i have used both anti-ethonal products and there has been no difference in the fuel strip.

Edited by Sonor
dirtrider
So what about techron makes it so different than let's say Seafoam or OneShot from Amsoil? I guess I will have to research Techron to find out more. But which do you use, the fuel system cleaner or the injector cleaner? As it is, i have used both anti-ethonal products and there has been no difference in the fuel strip.

Morning Sonor

Techron is one of the best fuel system cleaners available. Techron contains polyether amine (PEA).

Techron is also one of the very few fuel system products recommended by the major auto companies & is actually sold by BMW dealers as a fuel system additive. It is also BMW recommended for fuel strip equipped motorcycles.

I'm not familiar with OneShot but am with SeaFoam & SeaFoam is a great motorcycle storage additive but not the best fuel system cleaner for modern fuel injected engines.