IGNORED

R1100RS hard bags

mtd076

I'm new to the forum as I just picked up a used 94 R1100RS. It came without hard bags. I found a pair and was wondering if I needed any additional hardware for mounting. I called a BMW motorcycle dealership and he said "I don't think you do" He didn't sound sure. I posted pictures of my bike on a previous post here:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=985763&page=2

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. here are the hard bags I'm considering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Hard-Saddlebags-Case-Oil-head-for-BMW-R1100R-R1100GS-R1150R-R1150GS-R850R-/231481964817?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Question: Did the 94 R1100RS come with color correct for the bike hard bags if they were chosen as an option? Thanks!

Looks like you have the luggage rails.

I would look the part number up for the bags, specific.

I think, so, but muffler position, faulty memory.

The RSL versions had color matched saddlebags.

The RS's came w/the stock black.

They can be color matched with painting.

Admin can move this to proper forum.

szurszewski

You need two things to add bags - the rails along the seat, which you have, and the bumpers on the rear of the passenger foot pegs. I can't tell if you have those, but I'd imagine you do.

I don't know if color matched bags were an option. If they were it would just be the lids painted - you can paint the stock lids but they should be sanded smooth first.

For those aftermarket bags, if they will also fit the GS, they will be a bit smaller in capacity on one than stock RS bags to accommodate the GS exhaust.

Edit: what Tim said.

Edited by szurszewski

You should not get bags made for a GS for your RS. While they will probably fit the mounts you would not be pleased with them. The left side bag is cut out for the muffler on the GS and would look out of place on your RS.

The RS's came with full bag minutes, top and bottom.

By your pic, you can see the lower mount behind the pas peg.

You can rekey any used bags you may get to fit your bike key.

On YouTube, look for videos by me, Classic Cycle Connection.

If you bed any help doing it, my Email Tri750@hotmail.com

You can also add a trunk by replacing the grab bar with the factory luggage rack/trunk rack.

Keep clutch cable adjusted, learn how to check the oil, update the oil sight glass, avoid long warm ups, rev the motor don't lug it, upshift above 3500, play with the ABS to learn it,

It has a rev limiter so explore that to learn it.

Use the key to shut down the engine off, not the bar switch, use a battery tender type charger regularly , keep the tire pressure up as the wheels seep more than other bikes.

38-42' 40-42, . Avoid "what oil should I use" arguments,

Enjoy.

Edited by Tri750
You need two things to add bags - the rails along the seat, which you have, and the bumpers on the rear of the passenger foot pegs. I can't tell if you have those, but I'd imagine you do.

I don't know if color matched bags were an option. If they were it would just be the lids painted - you can paint the stock lids but they should be sanded smooth first.

For those aftermarket bags, if they will also fit the GS, they will be a bit smaller in capacity on one than stock RS bags to accommodate the GS exhaust.

Edit: what Tim said.

Thank you!

Hey, mtd076,

VERY nice bike. That was a steal, too!!

On the bags, shipping will be Very expensive if they aren't local. Check on CL and eBay too. I found a set of very good condition bags for $250 locally on CL. The guy had sold his bike years ago and was cleaning out his garage.

Somewhere there is a "compatibility chart" for these bags. The basic list is:

Right Side:

R1100S, RS, RT, R, and GS are the same.

Left side:

R1100S, RS, RT are the same. The R and GS have the muffler cut-out but fit.

There are two things you will need and SOON: a re-wired Hall Effect Sensor (HES) - they die suddenly leaving you stranded on the side of the road. The insulation on the wiring disintegrates. It's a matter of time, not miles. GSAddict on this forum rewires yours with the high-temp wiring and turns it around very quickly to you. Do it in your garage or the side of the road: it's your choice of where not IF. Happened to me two weeks ago.

The other item is/are the brake lines. DOT4 corrodes them from the inside. They either burst leaving you with no front (usually) brakes or clog up the galleries in the calipers and lock up the front wheel. Happened to me a year ago. Spiegler makes very good coated/braided stainless/PTFE lines as kits for most bikes. Amazon has the best price, about $200. Big choices in colors of the lines and fittings.

Congrats on the bike!!

The S is not the same. There is no exhaust on the side of the S , it's under the tail.

The S bag is larger, I believe the K1100 bag is also the large one.

The S is not the same. There is no exhaust on the side of the S , it's under the tail.

The S bag is larger, I believe the K1100 bag is also the large one.

Tri750,

I have an S and an RT, both '99, and the bags are the same and interchangeable.