IGNORED

Flashing ABS light

RAMBLIN RED

RAMBLIN RED

I'm looking at a 2000 r11rt, present owner says the lights are flashing because "it needs to be shimmed". Bike has a new battery. Does this make sense to anyone?

If the lights are flashing alternately (wig-wag) when you first put the ignition key into the ON position, then you have a hard error code. This code can be read and it will not go away until it is reset.

Go to Anton's web site.

http://www.largiader.com/

Look for the wheels and brakes section and read the article on ABS Faults.

If you get lights flashing together at key ON, that is normal. If the lights switch to wig-wag flashing when you start the motor, that is a low voltage error.

Give us more info about this or when you have an update.

I'm looking at a 2000 r11rt, present owner says the lights are flashing because "it needs to be shimmed". Bike has a new battery. Does this make sense to anyone? [/quote"]

Evening RAMBLIN RED

Possible but not likely. If it was as simple as a wheel sensor shimming then why wouldn't the seller do that as it would notably raise the selling price.

Can you tell us HOW the lights are flashing & WHEN they start flashing as that might tell us what could be wrong.

It might be as simple as an ABS reset, or wheel speed sensor shimming, or as complicated & expensive as new ABS controller.

RAMBLIN RED
I'm looking at a 2000 r11rt, present owner says the lights are flashing because "it needs to be shimmed". Bike has a new battery. Does this make sense to anyone? [/quote"]

Evening RAMBLIN RED

Possible but not likely. If it was as simple as a wheel sensor shimming then why wouldn't the seller do that as it would notably raise the selling price.

Can you tell us HOW the lights are flashing & WHEN they start flashing as that might tell us what could be wrong.

It might be as simple as an ABS reset, or wheel speed sensor shimming, or as complicated & expensive as new ABS controller.

I'll respond as soon as he answers my email

Evening RAMBLIN RED

If you like the bike & the price is right (reduced significantly for a non functioning ABS) then you can always buy it & see if you can repair the ABS system.

If the ABS is found non repairable then the ABS can be removed & you will end up with a bike that has good feeling & good working brakes, just no ABS system.

The only problem with this is that you need to be mechanically inclined enough to do the job yourself (remove the ABS system) as most repair shops will not remove the ABS system due to legal concerns.

RAMBLIN RED

Hi Dirtrider,

The present owner has been riding like this since he bought it, disregarding the lights ( black tape). I suspect the worst, hope for the best. lol. like the lottery

No offense, but there are so many bikes out there w/out

issues.

If he didn't take care of this, and put tape over it, what else wasn't done. or skimped on?

Keep looking.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
RAMBLIN RED

The present owner has not responded to my questions about the sequence of the ABS lights so I will walk away from this. Thanks very much for your input.