IGNORED

Stall at start up

MoteroNC

My 09 R1200RTP is start really rough and cutting off. If I give it throttle it will run and after two minutes it finally keeps idle. Any advice on trouble shooting? Should I start with a new tank of gas and injector cleaner? Thanks

My 09 R1200RTP is start really rough and cutting off. If I give it throttle it will run and after two minutes it finally keeps idle. Any advice on trouble shooting? Should I start with a new tank of gas and injector cleaner? Thanks

Afternoon MoteroNC

First thing to try is doing a new TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) relearn.

If that doesn't help then we will need a lot more info on when the problem started & how long it has been acting up (could be a lost stepper or even a bad stick coil or coils, or??????)

TPS re-learn procedure-----

*Disconnect the lead to the battery's positive post for about 3 minutes.

Then

*Reconnect the positive lead to the battery's positive terminal.

Then

*Switch on the ignition.

Then

*Without starting the engine, fully open the throttle once or twice so that the control unit of the BMW engine management system can register the throttle-valve positions.

Then

*Switch off the ignition.

That's it__

Well. I tried again this morning and it started right up. I will monitor the situation which started on Friday morning. I am thinking of doing the valve clearance procedure which has not been done for two years see if that makes the idle a bit smoother. Thank you.

What has been done,and when, at what mileage?

Did you ever do a full service to have a baseline for reference?

Yes I had the dealer do the valve check every year and replace plugs. I have been doing oil, air filter, gear and transmission myself every year.