IGNORED

Crash bars for 2017 RT

TerryAZandTX

Have not gone the crash bar route but they seem to have a lot of benefits. In addition to the added protection they provide a handy place to mount lights and highway pegs. All I have read seem to point to Illium works as the best. They have a pretty impressive video on their site too.

I have the Wunderlich, and I don't like them very much at all! The issue that you should be aware of, for the Wunderlich front bars, is that it "looks" as if the valve covers would clear, for when one need to do the valve clearance check, but they won't! Bad design. Wunderlich thought that they had enough clearance, and claimed so, when these came out for the '14 RT. That was when I had bought mine, since they were the only game in town for about a year. So be wary of the Wunderlich, and Wunderlich type design (there are at least one of the same design out there along with the Chinese knock-off). Personally, I like the Ztechnik front bars much better. I like the aesthetic and the fact that they are made from a fairly hefty stainless steel tubes. I had a set on my prior '07 RT. The down side is that they are probably the most expensive one out there at $500 a pair!

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/bmw/bmwr1200rt/2015bmwr1200rt/z7103.html

zbmz7103r1200rt.jpg

Rider1200RT

Timely thread, as I just got my Ztechnik bars this AM and installed them literally in 10 minutes, not counting the Tupperware removal procedure :dopeslap:

That said, yes they are expensive :cry: but I checked the clearances and I can get the plastic spark plug cover off and the valve cover is no issue either.

Timely thread, as I just got my Ztechnik bars this AM and installed them literally in 10 minutes, not counting the Tupperware removal procedure :dopeslap:

That said, yes they are expensive :cry: but I checked the clearances and I can get the plastic spark plug cover off and the valve cover is no issue either.

That is what I figured! :) It's too bad that they were late out with their product (took them more than a year!), because that is the one that I would have bought instead of the Wunderlich.

Can you rest your feet on the ZTechnic bars without adding hi way pegs? Looks like they might provide a little stretch in the knees for short durations.

Ilium Works, high quality perfect fit, expensive but like a divorce, worth it!! Watch the video on their website where the dude drops his RT and it is not damaged. sold me

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Haven't looked at the Ilium design for your year, but for a 2012, the foldout highway pegs double as crash bars. Bike will not easily rock over on the heads.

Dave_zoom_zoom
Ilium Works, high quality perfect fit, expensive but like a divorce, worth it!! Watch the video on their website where the dude drops his RT and it is not damaged. sold me

Very impressive!

I can't help but wonder how those forces might effect the parts of the bike that the bars are mounted to.

Dave