IGNORED

Heated Aftermarket Seat

JustAVisitor

JustAVisitor

Hello everybody.

After reading through the posts (lots and lots of information here) I have decided to register to ask a question I haven't seen asked.

The seat on my R1200RT is somewhat more comfortable than those on my previous bikes but still leaves a lot to be desired, hence I am looking for an aftermarket seat.

I want a brand new complete seat, not a reworking of mine, so please no suggestions about that.

I have sent a mail to Touratech to see if, like with past models, they are offering a heated option but I am still waiting for a reply.

I've searched through several websites and found Sargent is the only one advertising a "plug-in" heated option. Has anyone tried it out?

Any other brands I should consider?

Thanks

I bought the heated seat from Sargent and am very happy with it, It's my first purchase from Sargent as the seat company I had always used and was very happy with does not make seats for the RT. Although rather firm I can sit in the Sargent all day without any discomfort. They will let you try the seat and if you dont like it you may return it.

Corbin does heated.

You can buy the seat heat pigtail from BMW and splice that to the Corbin to avoid using their crimp on concerts and port-a-taps.

Then you have a true plug in seat that uses the factory handlebar switch.

On the Corbin, you pick either using their three way rocker (for bikes not having heat from new) or using your handlebar switch.

If in Calif, it's worth the ride to Hollister for a true custom Corbin.

5 hours and your seat is done. They ship your old seat home if you can't carry it.

On my 99 RT I went with a Day Long Russell and that seat was really day long comfortable, and they do offer a heated option. The down side is that you need to provide OEM seat pans so the seat become a permanent item that goes with the bike when you sell it, or you need to come up with used seat pans...not likely too available with a model that is just going into year 3.

I went with Sargent for my water head and the seat is very well made. It comes on Sargent's own seat pans which are every bit as good and compatible as the OEM pans. The heat option integrates into the existing OEM heat controls which is a real plus too. I am very happy with the Sargent seat so far, but will need more butt in the saddle time to make any comment on how it compare to the Russell.

JustAVisitor

Thanks to everybody.

I am giving Touratech a few more days to reply. If they don't or do it in the negative, I'll just go and order the Sargent seat.

It seems positive feedbacks on it are universal.

I may be the one crank that makes the positive feedbacks not universal :)

I ordered a Sargent seat and found it to be well-made but after 100 miles it felt hard and was not shaped well for me. I also missed the leather of my past Corbins (though I don't like Corbin's one-piece seat for the RTW).

I returned the Sargent, no questions asked. Great thing is they do have very good customer support so there's no risk in trying one.

Explore their return policy before buying.

I love the look of a Sargent.

Don't like the ride.

Many/most do.

YMMV

+1 for the Sargent. Not as hot as I would like but from my understanding there was a software update that limited how hot the seat gets because someone burned there butt. After the shock replacement the stock seat did not get as hot as it use too. If there is anyway to fix that I would like to hear about it.

I have the heated plus Sargent seat set. It is very hot when heat is turned on. Plug and Play as long as your bike has the wire hookup.

Comfortable but not as good as the Russell I had before. Sargent I get maybe 200 to 300 miles before I get squirmy,looking for relief. Russell I have gone 800 mile days easy and never needed a pad or air hawk to supplement the seat. Sargent I am taking my airhawk along for long trips for relief.

SimonB, one of our members here bought a Sargent seat for his Wethead recently. He felt a burning sensation and when he looked at his seat, there was a burn mark that looked just like a cigarette burn. The seat is currently with Sargent and hopefully they will sort out the issue. There was some quibbling with them saying this looked like an external burn, but it most definitely wasn't.

So, yes, they can get very hot!

JustAVisitor

Update: Touratech replied and said they are working on a heated seat but it won't be available earlier than December 2017. As usual they want to use OE bases, heating elements etc and setting up the legal framework for those things will take time.

At this point it's either wait for the Touratech or buy something else right now. I've seen Wunderlich also sells heated seats now but I've no experience with their products... has anyone ever bought one from them?

Thanks.

My experience with Touratech seats is that they are indeed factory quality. And if they say Dec 2017, they really mean they hope to have something for Spring 2018!

Factory quality does not mean comfort. In fact I have been around two of these on different bikes and they don't seem much better than the factory seat for comfort. Butt, everyone is different and some may like them.

I tested the Touratech here: http://mklsportster.com/Articles/bmwmoa-touratechseat.pdf

Granted, it was for the Hexhead model, but it's a good indicator.

Bottom Line: Why someone would consider it is totally beyond me, because for the same price as the Touratech rider-only seat, you can get BMS rider AND passenger seats, heated, and in leather. In my experience, the BMS is exponentially more comfortable, to boot.

My Wethead BMS is heated, and is (as usual) the most comfy seat I have yet tested for RTs. Stock wiring means the heat plugs in just like factory - seat pan on both Touratech and BMS is stock, so installation is totally painless either way. But the BMS is exponentially more comfy because it's built for YOU - to your measurements, weight, style, and preferences. Why anyone would pay double for an off-the-rack solution when you can buy custom built for much less is a mystery.

BMS Wethead test here here http://mklsportster.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Rider08-16.pdf and here in my video series

-MKL

JustAVisitor

Sorry, I am an idiot for even considering something different from some "custom built" seat.

Don't worry, I won't bother you anymore.

This morning it was 45° F and I had my Sargent on 3 which proved to be too warm, so it gets plenty warm, maybe even more so than the OEM heated seat.

I'll wade in gently on the way to go opinions. I get he whole custom built for your comfort thing and loved my Day-Long for that reason. I hated giving up the OEM seats for the pans for the Russell. Going with a Sargent, or Corbin, gives you the option to sell the OEM seats to defray the cost of these saddles, or on the back end of ownership you could sell the custom seat separately to maximize the cash you get out.

>>>>>Sorry, I am an idiot for even considering something different from some "custom built" seat. Don't worry, I won't bother you anymore.<<<<

There's no need for that. I am sharing my experience with you, as someone who has been paid to professionally review both types for major publications, and as someone who has spent thousands of miles using both these two brands, as well as others.

-MKL

Some of the early Russell's on the wetheads mounted the heater a little to close and they were too hot even on the lowest setting. I forget who told me ( a pilot on this board sorry I forgot). When I ordered my Russell I asked them to bury the heater a little deeper. They did. It works perfectly. Low is low and high is high... I know Russell makes you use your pan, but for me...I didn't care because the seat just works for me. I did spy a brand new factory wethead seat on Ebay after I got my Russell back. I bought it for $125. So when I sell my bike, I'll sell the Russell and put an original seat back on.

Sorry, I am an idiot for even considering something different from some "custom built" seat.

Don't worry, I won't bother you anymore.

Wait a minute, you are reading these threads wrong if you are getting uppety about this. There is good sound advice here.

You happened to choose a topic that is mostly about perception and feelings as opposed to nuts and bolts. A bit like an oil thread.

No one has inferred you are an idiot apart from yourself.