IGNORED

2004 R1150 RT Clock

aviscomi

Don't laugh...last night I took my wife for a ride on the RT and she asked where the clock was and I showed here. A few minutes go by and she says, "WTF does 17:47 mean"?. I tried to explain to her that in was a 24 hour, not 12 hour. Simple question...can it be switched to a 12 hour mode?

Don't laugh...last night I took my wife for a ride on the RT and she asked where the clock was and I showed here. A few minutes go by and she says, "WTF does 17:47 mean"?. I tried to explain to her that in was a 24 hour, not 12 hour. Simple question...can it be switched to a 12 hour mode?

Morning aviscomi

Quick answer is not easily. Long answer is, possibly by taking the clock apart & doing some changes inside.

Morning aviscomi

Quick answer is not easily. Long answer is, possibly by taking the clock apart & doing some changes inside.

I guess she'll have to start wearing a watch. Thanks!

RoanokeRider

It's not that difficult. Just subtract 12 from any number 13:00 and above.

I guess she could just put one of those digital stick-on clocks on the back of your helmet. :)

Edited by RoanokeRider

I vaguely recall reading a post on the K board wherein it was described which circuit had to be severed/altered but it is beyond my desire/need to disassemble the dash in order to get to the clock circuit board.

I guess she could just put one of those digital stick-on clocks on the back of your helmet. :)

Now that's an idea...

I prefer the 24 hour.

Me too. All the clocks in our house that can be set to 24 hr are. We lived in Europe for a few years and got used to it there. It makes more sense to me than the 12 hr time. Wife & kids don't seem to have any issues with it but some visitors do.

Then again, I kinda like the metric system too...

"Then again, I kinda like the metric system too..."

But, Congress passed the Metrification Act back in 1968.

Surely...

:rofl:

... and lets not forget that when water turns hard, its frezing, and that happpens at 0 degres ... - in Europe ... :)

... and lets not forget that when water turns hard, its frezing, and that happpens at 0 degres ... - in Europe ... :)

Yeah, I can handle 24 hr clocks and the metric system for weights & measures but I just can't get my head around celsius temps. Just something about it. I guess almost 70 yrs with Fahrenheit is too much to overcome. I get zero and 100 for freeze & boil but how warm is it when it's 20C outside? Or 30C? Gimme them good old American degrees. ;)

Well correct formula is this T(°F) = T(°C) × 9/5 + 32

However I use something much simpler that I can remember. Since all the aviation weather is in C..and like you I had trouble converting on the fly...so here is my simple way

Double the C and add 32....e.g. 15C. 15 times 2 plus 32 = 62. The real tem of 15C is 59F. However 62 versus 59 gets me directionally close. the inverse is close too or at least close enough for me.

If you are looking for something easy and accurate...

C deg x 2, subtract 10% then add 32.

To use Skywagon's example:

15 doubled is 30, - 3 gives 27 + 32 = 59

I know the conversion formulae, it's getting an intuitive feel for what's warm, etc. I mean, I can judge metric weights & measures...I know pretty much what a liter looks like and what a kilogram feels like, I've just never gotten there with celsius. I do know that anything over 40C is pretty hot...I was in Toulouse one summer when it hit 40+ for a few days and that was hot...not much A/C then then, either.

Not sure what all this has to do with the R1150RT clock but it's an interesting digression (mine keeps pretty good time, FWIW). :)

Edited by MarkAZ

My clock keeps good time also, at least it is better than the speedo that on mine is consistently off by 5mph. But that is another subject for another day.

Edited by SAS
My clock keeps good time also, at least it is better than the speedo that on mine is consistently off by 5mph. But that is another subject for another day.

Your speedo is probably off more than that.

The permissible "off" parameter from BMW is max of 10% plus 2.4 MPH.

They have been his way for decades. The ODO is correct but the speedos have long been a topic to discuss.

They do this to account for different brands of tires build specs.

It's only annoying until you get used to it or just ignore it.

Here's a bulletin from 2002.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachments/rt-series/36112d1344547759-speedometer-6200102.pdf

All my clocks are set for 24hr, just natural after 20 yrs of active duty.

3 thing to remember with Celsius.

0=freezing, 20=room temperature, 37= body temperature. you can usually figure things out from there.

One last thing -40C = -40F damn cold is damn cold!

Edited by ltljohn

Your speedo is probably off more than that.

The permissible "off" parameter from BMW is max of 10% plus 2.4 MPH.

They have been his way for decades. The ODO is correct but the speedos have long been a topic to discuss.

They do this to account for different brands of tires build specs.

It's only annoying until you get used to it or just ignore it.

Here's a bulletin from 2002.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachments/rt-series/36112d1344547759-speedometer-6200102.pdf

And that can depend on model, and individual bike from my experience.

My GT is w/in 3 mph (by GPS) until above 90. As it goes up from there, margin "increases", mostly because

there is needle oscillation as speed goes up.

At GPS 140 my speedo say much higher than that. (All on private property, of course)

But in general. BMW, and other marques, have optomistic speedometers, for sure.

My gOd... We are Americans, with short attention spans. Personally I can only deal with time in 12 hour increments... I can't seem to add a U to words like color or favorite either.

Hell, I even have trouble with months longer than 28 days. Don't even get me started about Leap Years...

Oh... Can't you switch your clock by pushing a button?

Tell her it's BMW's contribution to society in keeping your brain sharp.

You have to do the quick math, just as my dad taught us kids that when paying for something, always do the math for the change and try to do it before it appears on the register.

Just a simple exercise that I still do. :)