IGNORED

BMW Rough Rider

Bumwah

It has been raining since February... So I haven't had my '04 R1150RT out riding too much... Today I charged the battery and did my pre flight checklist, then went out for a ride. I noticed my idle was a little low and when riding a 30-55 mph some surging. Overall everything was smooth, even at 100. I'm thinking it could be a low idle or maybe even the throttles are out of sync? In the last 30k miles I've had zero problems... Help me Obie One you're my oily hope...

It has been raining since February... So I haven't had my '04 R1150RT out riding too much... Today I charged the battery and did my pre flight checklist, then went out for a ride. I noticed my idle was a little low and when riding a 30-55 mph some surging. Overall everything was smooth, even at 100. I'm thinking it could be a low idle or maybe even the throttles are out of sync? In the last 30k miles I've had zero problems... Help me Obie One you're my oily hope...

Evening Bumwah

If the idle wasn't low the last few times that you rode it & you didn't have that pronounced surge last few times that you rode it then it is probably just due to sitting or older gasoline in it.

Put some Techron concentrate in the fuel tank then ride most of that tank of fuel through it then see where you are idle & surging wise.

Hopefully something simple like a bit of varnish in the fuel & injectors.

If the problem doesn't go away in a tank or two of new fuel then we will have to go after cleaning the BBS screws & air passages & maybe address a TB sync.

DR... Thanks for the insight... You could be correct. I'll run the tank down and refill and see what happens... Let's hope for an easy cure

• 4 weeks later...

OK... I'm back... new gas same problem... No Low Idle...

Here's the Double Jeopardy question...

Check Voltage at throttle control or adjust the idle?

Bike runs great but low idle. How do I raise idle 200 rpm?

Alex?

dirtrider
OK... I'm back... new gas same problem... No Low Idle...

Here's the Double Jeopardy question...

Check Voltage at throttle control or adjust the idle?

Bike runs great but low idle. How do I raise idle 200 rpm?

Alex?

Evening Alex

The short answer it to try opening the BBS air screws on the TB's about 1/4 turn on each side then see where the idle RPM goes.

The long answer it to remove the BBS screws, then clean the screw tips & clean the air passages under them with o2 & cat safe carb cleaner.

Then reinstall the screws lightly seated, then back out 2-1/2 turns then do a complete TB balance.

The TPS voltage should be just fine if the bike is now running good other than the low idle speed.

If it idled good last year but is low this year then that sort of points to coked up BBS screws or air passages.

The short answer it to try opening the BBS air screws on the TB's about 1/4 turn on each side

And a slightly longer answer is, "good luck with that unless you first remove the entire fairing."

Which isn't that hard, but it is a PITA just to check the idle speed and TB balance.

Shiny Side Up

I had a "low idle" issue a couple of years ago - tested all kinds of stuff and BINGO - bad stick coil...

• 3 weeks later...

Where do I send the tuition for that class on stick coils? I just played Where in the World is Carmen San Diego on my motorcycle...

And after everything... The Winner is Stick Coil, Thank you Alex, could I have Rough Running Motors for $1000...

Thanx to everyone who helped and made it a community experience...

Danke...

The short answer it to try opening the BBS air screws on the TB's about 1/4 turn on each side

And a slightly longer answer is, "good luck with that unless you first remove the entire fairing."

Which isn't that hard, but it is a PITA just to check the idle speed and TB balance.

Cap,

I've had success using a very long, thin flat blade to get to the BBS screws WITH the plastic on. If I recall, I remove the left side black plastic cover for the hinged lever, then I can get in through there.

Yes, a flashlight is needed, but for simple adjustments, it's worked for me in the past.

FWIW,

RPG