IGNORED

Carrying extra fuel

Chal De Cecco

Chal De Cecco

Preparing for a non slab cross country trip this summer. Looking to carry just a bit of extra fuel to get to point B in a potential fuel shortage situation. Looking for a 20-32 ounce fuel carrier I can strap to my rear rack on my 1200RS. This is a great bike but it doesn't have long legs with it's 4.8 gallon tank capacity. Any suggestions appreciated.

Preparing for a non slab cross country trip this summer. Looking to carry just a bit of extra fuel to get to point B in a potential fuel shortage situation. Looking for a 20-32 ounce fuel carrier I can strap to my rear rack on my 1200RS. This is a great bike but it doesn't have long legs with it's 4.8 gallon tank capacity. Any suggestions appreciated.

Afternoon

I use the MSR (30 oz) on my dirt bikes when traveling in area's with few gas filling options. (about $20.00)

16Z195_BW47.jpg

I've been tempted to purchase this one. Pretty pricey, but it is built for conditions you might encounter. The smaller bottles are just too small for my comfort level.

Link

I like the idea of collapsible fuel bladder for this kind of use.

But that GL pricing is pretty astronomical.

For about $65 I got one of these.

7 liters of capacity and tough as heck. It works.

I'm not sure if the guy still has them for sale.

szurszewski

We carry two of the MSR bottles. I bought them for backpacking, but have also been using the same two bottles on the bike since 1998.

Edited by szurszewski
I like the idea of collapsible fuel bladder for this kind of use.

But that GL pricing is pretty astronomical.

For about $65 I got one of these.

7 liters of capacity and tough as heck. It works.

I'm not sure if the guy still has them for sale.

It seems to me that when I first looked at the bag in my link it was just a bit over $100, and that was just last year. The current price seems to be way out of line for what it is.

Chal De Cecco

Many Thanks for all your help. Going with the Wolfman holster and the 30 0z. MSR fuel bottle...........

Rider1200RT

I have used MSR fuel bottles on my GSA. Although the above pic is somewhat accurate... :rofl: , I did have to use them, when the town of Ross River was out of fuel....

IMHO you can't have too much fuel capacity!

I bought 2 fuel bottles and carried them for several years. Never used them so sold them. Guess I don't travel as much as some of you. :rofl:

I bought 2 fuel bottles and carried them for several years. Never used them so sold them. Guess I don't travel as much as some of you. :rofl:

Morning Marty

It isn't the traveling-- it's the traveling to places that don't have fueling available (like W-A-Y off-road or to places with few filling stations & then when you do finally find one it has a sign that says out of gasoline till next Tuesday (& it is Tuesday, just not next Tuesday).

OK, now that the gates have opened.

WTF.

You have a gas gauge, odometer, and aren't off road.

Not being personal, but I've never run out of gas on a mc.

Including a stretch in Nova Scotia where most of the stations, and, all of the "convenience type" stores had no gas

in a wholesaler/retailer cost dispute that happened overnight.

Now I've only been riding for the past 50 years, and like stopping after 140-180 miles so I do.

Or before, and get gas almost every stop.

Now if it was an issue, I'd get a GSA to ride.

Full disclosure, when there was a gas shortagea little while back, I carried an empty

no spill plastic 2 gal container w/us on a BMWST event (BRR?), just in case.

But there were gas stations out of gas frequently and we were in the mountains.

Never used it, even then.

So, enjoy the peace of mind, I guess...

:lurk:

Rode to and in Ak twice and all over western Europe but very little off road. Guess most of the guys on here do a lot of off road riding.

If I have my bike professionally transported from location to location do you think I need to carry extra fuel?

Oh...now that I think about it, probably not...never mind.

I used to carry two 1qt plastic motor oil bottles full of gas bungeed to the right side pillion floorboard on my Kawi Nomad.

Rider1200RT

I did the Key West to Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay trip and in the Yukon it is not uncommon for entire towns to be out of fuel for a few days... So carrying extra to get to the next town is often the only option... I used all of my 3 MSR bottles to get to the next town over and got gas there.... Now a Starbucks cruise on the other hand.... :stir: