IGNORED

New 2017 RT

Rider1200RT

Rider1200RT

I can't believe it, but I finally got a new bike after a 7 year hiatus. :clap: My last steed was and '06 1150GSA (the white one) and I always regretted selling that bike. :cry:

The new ride is white as well and loaded with all the goodies too. Can't wait to put some (s)miles on the new beast.

Rider1200RT

Thanks guys!! :beer: It has been a while Bernie! I think it's been 10 years since the last winter rally in Stark... :jaw:

Looking forward to some high mileage tours on my new RT as well. Anybody put the auxiliary brake kit in their 49 liter top box?

Congrats. Things change in a seven year ride gap.

Seems like the sport touring class bikes went from mostly lighter weight touring bikes with above average handling to bikes that are still lighter, have fantastically responsive handling, and can wheelie at will if you turn off the stability control :Cool:

You will love the new bike.

Rider1200RT

Tx guys! The new bike is really amazing! I can't believe the handling and ride. I only have 155 miles on it right now and am in the process of ordering some goodies... :grin:

Things have changed for sure, but even after my hiatus I rode away like I never stopped riding. I guess that all the previous miles must have stuck too me some how. Traffic is still the same but I no longer need to get around the Miami area like before so there are less asshats to deal with...I hope... :dopeslap:

All in all I'm quite stoked!!

Congrats! Best thing is how after a few thousand miles the motor really becomes creamy smoothhhh.

This RT will make you forget that 1150 real fast. Not the memories you had on the bike but the new bike is just so much better that they are difficult to compare. Heck, even the past two versions of the 1200 were really nice improvements. You really will love this new bike.

Congrats--and I may be in the same boat soon. Wondering about crash bars--I see Touratech and Ilium Works. What are you guys using?

Has anyone bought those cheap Ebay rear crash bars to protect side cases?

This RT will make you forget that 1150 real fast. Not the memories you had on the bike but the new bike is just so much better that they are difficult to compare. Heck, even the past two versions of the 1200 were really nice improvements. You really will love this new bike.

Can't agree with the last part of your post. The 2 previous versions of the 1200 did nothing for me. Yes they had more power, but that lacked the personality of the 1150. Moreover, they didn't handle better. BUT, the watercooled beast, well that is a different tool altogether. Apart from the lack of storage and silly useless cubby holes, the Wethead really does take the boxer to new heights of power, handling and style. They all have their shortcomings, it's down to how many of them you can live with (or without)!

Rider1200RT

The one thing I miss about the 1150 I had, is the fact I could do ALL the maintenance on it. This computerized version likely not so much, although time will tell. I really do like the smoother engine and transmission though. THAT is the biggest feature on this new machine.

Oscar, with that giant space below your sig-line I keep thinking a bike picture is going to appear. I watch and I wait, and watch some more, but nothing. :(:dontknow::grin:

Pat

Rider1200RT
Oscar, with that giant space below your sig-line I keep thinking a bike picture is going to appear. I watch and I wait, and watch some more, but nothing. :(:dontknow::grin:

Pat

Fixelated.. :beer: It's been a while on this forum... :P

Welcome back on two wheels. A year ago, I returned to riding after a 9 year hiatus, so we have that in common. Shortly after getting a new bike last April 2016, I took a month long 6000 km trip. By the second day of the trip, I was back in a groove. Now with 10,000 km on the odometer, I can say that the time off didn't result in any loss in terms of ability, awareness or other needed skills. Before the hiatus, I had 50 years of riding experience, so that may have baked in some learned memories that take a long time to fade.

Rider1200RT

Thanks! I guess that having ridden a lot of years and miles something tends to stick with you that comes back after a short time in the saddle. It did with me too and I am happy for it. :thumbsup:

I looked at a white one just like that in Iowa City today. I thought it looked too much like an appliance. Then I started to think "cop bike", and now the color is sort of growing on me.

I didn't think I would like it when I heard they were offering white but when I saw one in the showroom last week my reaction was, WOW that sure is purty!

Rider1200RT

I had a white '06 1150GSA and that tank gave it the nickname 'white whale'.. However in real life it looked better as does the RT IMHO. I saw the bike in the crate at the dealer and a few days later it was in the showroom and I knew it was going to be mine!! My brother is waiting on his beige RT which was my first choice until I saw the white one in person..

Color is all subjective anyway but the white bike makes drivers pause a bit.. LOL!

...My brother is waiting on his beige RT which was my first choice until I saw the white one in person...

Beige? :) This is beige:

c8bf2e29a01efcbd0f0164e1cfa26b2e.jpg

This is Platinum Bronze Metallic:

2000000012.jpg

Just sayin'!