IGNORED

Throttle Cable Adjustment

Steve_Reinig

Steve_Reinig

I probably shouldn't be doing this with the bad cold I have but anyway. Replaced fast idle, throttle and cluth cables. Fired the bike up and the idle was well around 3,000 and the fast idle cable was off so I figured it had to be the throttle cables. Question. Does turning the adjuster knob clockwise tighten or loosen. Btw this is a single cable throttle cable. It's gotta be the cold. Thanks

ShovelStrokeEd

There are a couple of adjustments.

First, at the grip, there is a free play adjuster, start with that screwed together as far as it will go.

Then there are the adjusters at the throttle bodies themselves. Screwing them in (clockwise) will increase free play. You are going to need to balance the throttle bodies after completion of this adjustment. Replacing the cables should not mess with the idle setting so yours, if they were previously adjusted for stretched cables, are probably the reason.

You can eyeball this to get close to a synch but you will definately need some form of manometer or electronic widget to complete the final synch. Also, you can expect that the high RPM synch will probably go out of whack as the new cables stretch.

Lots of info on the sight and there is probably a good article in the archives on how to accomplish this.

NormThompson

With the RPM that high, the first thing I would check is that the cable body is fully seated in the adjusting fitting. It can easily be riding on the edge of the metal adjuster fitting, effectively pulling on the cable. Good luck.

Archived