IGNORED

Raising '05 R1200 RT Onto Centerstand

JohnH

My right knee is going bad on me. When I unloaded the GS from my annual trip to Bike Week in Daytona and put it on the centerstand the pain in my knee was intense. I got to thinking the other day that if I could get the back wheel up off the floor a little bit it would be a lot easier to roll up on the centerstand.

Yesterday I took the bike off the centerstand and put it on the sidestand. I put a piece of 2x4 (1-1/2” thick) I had close by in front of the rear wheel and tried to roll the back wheel up onto the 3-1/2” width of the 2x4. The wheel pushed it away. Then I put a piece of 1x4 (3/4” thick) in front of the wheel with the 2x4 in front of the 1x4. With a little effort I rolled the wheel onto the 1x4 then up on the 2x4, pushed the centerstand to the floor and lifted the bike onto it with just a fraction of the effort previously required. Success!

I’m going to get a length of 1x6 and make a fixture with a single then step up to a double thickness of the 1x6 screwed together. I think I’ll be good until I get a new knee.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Hi John H

Just don't forget, every time the bike the bike goes a little higher, your leg needs to be be little longer. :)

Dave

Not many like to use the center stand. Looks like You do, just like myself. For overnight or longer, bike will always be on center stand.

Installed lowered suspension, and to lift the bike on center stand was getting much harder. So i cut off the stand a little over an inch,

and welded it together. Much easier then even before the new suspension. So i may suggest, cut some off the stand. The idea is for the

rear wheel to be off the ground. Makes no difference for the stability of the bike how much, but make a lot of difference for how easy it

is to pull it up!

szurszewski

I put a piece of 2x4 (1-1/2” thick) I had close by in front of the rear wheel and tried to roll the back wheel up onto the 3-1/2” width of the 2x4. The wheel pushed it away.

Just curious, but why backward and not forward? I ask because I feel like I have better control of about any bike rolling it forward vs back.

I used to do something like this with my /7. The center stand was easy enough to use, but wouldn't get you in the air quite high enough to roll the back wheel out; to do that you needed to put the centerstand on a 2x4, and rolling the rear up onto a 2x4 or even a 1x before putting the stand down made this much easier.

"Not many like to use the center stand."

Exactly the opposite of my personal use and experience, especially when parking it at home.

YMMV