IGNORED

another bike?

Jharpphoto

I've had bikes off and on for 20 years and like many of you I love riding. I sold my last bike (2012 RT) after someone cut me off and scared the crap out of me. I've got 2 small kids and the thought of getting badly hurt or killed while playing on my bike just didn't seem right. So I decided to sell the bike and I did so quickly, too quickly I suppose because I have regretted it ever since. It has been a year without a bike and now that it's warming up so have my desires for a bike. Should I stay safe and off the bike now that I don't have one or do a little looking, ya know just for fun. Geez I'm an idiot.

Be warned...if you start looking you will end up buying. Time for some soul searching?

What would really suck is to not get a bike, then to be killed on a sidewalk by a biker avoiding a cut-off accident. (just sayin' there are a thousand ways to die)

It'd be a terrible thing getting hurt or worse with little kids at home but it would also be a terrible thing going through life with a bag full of "what-ifs".

Now I think I'm a better person because I get to do what I absolutely love and in the end everybody benefits. Selfish? Maybe, but there's no go arounds that I currently know of. Now two up riding has come to an end for the most part because if the worse case ever happened, my two would be ok.

Like Marty said, you need to weigh it out.

Pat

Dennis Andress

Do you have serious insurance, the kind that will pay off the house and provide your missing income?

Have you considered getting a dirt bike, with a plan to add a bike or two as your kids grow? Maybe a toy hauler and all that goes with it?

If none of that will work for you, then maybe a track bike?

Besides insurance, I'd recommend you take a MSF safety course. Make sure you know what to do in an emergency situation. That'll help your confidence as well when you're out there.

Yes, things can always happen out of your control. But hopefully you'll learn to do things to keep yourself out of a situation as well.

I feel very comfortable on a bike and have avoided numerous accidents with focused attention and good bike handling. I know that looking leads to buying. My wife and kids would be well provided for should I meet an untimely demise as well. Maybe a little looking wouldn't hurt.

Risk is everywhere. You could get shot buying gas. Traffic accident. Plane crash. Trapped in a fire at work. Get Cancer. Have a Heart Attack.

Provide for your family. Insurance, savings, etc.

Seek to mitigate your risk. Diet, exercise, don't buy gas at shady places, etc. That extends to riding. Wear the right gear, keep your bike in good tune. Don't ride distracted.

Sounds like you already have it covered. Enjoy the ride.

For me, for all the reasons you noted, I basically gave up street riding. I have a very nice small dual sport, a BMW G450x. I throw it in the back of my truck, ride up to GA mountains, ride all the back Fire Roads, then come back to town and throw bike in back of truck and drive home. For me this has become my riding. I love being in the back woods, and there are days I will literally in 5 hours of riding, see maybe one other bike or car (well reall 4 wheel jeeps).

For me I have never felt safer riding a bike and having fun then the fire roads. But I know I am lucky, I live about 60 minutes from awesome fire roads. Not everyone has that.

When I want to ride street, well I do track days. Again to me far safer than street riding, and a whole lot cheaper.

And as noted above I rode dirt, mx etc with my kids from age 6 - 16. My oldest took up street riding ( I did not know better) but my youngest never got on the street. dirt, mx only.

I enjoyed my 25 years of street riding. but I do look back and wonder how I survived all those years of riding. Guess I was 80% lucky and 20% good.

I know there are a lot of riders who think the track is higher risk than street. You have to decide for yourself.

But over that last 10 years, it has gotten more an more off road and track only for me. But I do still commute almost daily 12 miles to work. I just no longer do the weekend street rides up to the mountains etc.

2 opinions matter...you and your wifes. I have a buddy who decided to get back in. He bought a nice RT. The wife isn't bought in. He has ended up parking the RT because every time he wants to ride the worry she goes through causes him to not ride.

My wife, fortunately, accepts most of my hobbies are more dangerous than most...airplane, bikes, etc....but she never tell me I shouldn't. I know she worries but she also accepts it is who I am. If she strenuously objected or was worried sick...I would stop....

I can understand your concern and your very admirable desire to put your family first. Are you at all interested in maybe something like convertible sports cars? A nice rig like a Mustang GT convertible can be loads of fun for your whole family. Buy a tent and go Mustang camping. Or maybe pleasure boating?

My wife likes to ride as a pillion but I do worry about something happening and me surviving and her not. Motorcycling especially road riding for me is almost a sickness that I can't explain or an addictive obsession. That said I don't want to be responsible for someone i care for getting hurt or worse.

Agree with all the has been said. If you decide to ride again then for your protection and your family's remember the saying, ATGATT (All the gear all the time). I have ridden to work in city traffic and made long distance rides but I never go without gearing up first, quality full face helmet, full length leather gloves, leather or quality textile jacket or full riding suit like and Aerostich, and boots, doesn't matter if it hot or cold.

Good luck in making the decision that is right for you.

Hank R1200RT

I stopped riding for ten years for the same reason. Then started up again when the kids were in college and high school. Perhaps setting a time limit would work for you too.

And get the Mustang convertible in the meantime. Or dirt bikes for the kids. Make memories!

thanks for all the feedback fellas. I guess I still have a little soul searching to do. My job just moved another 20 min away putting my commute at 1:15 hrs each way. I guess I started thinking that doing the commute on the bike might make the ride less of a drag and maybe even fun.

Riding, or not riding is a hard decision. Especially with family members depending on you.

Commuting on a bike can be a release from stress and problems....while creating some of its own. There is simply no way that commuting on a bike is cheaper than some cars are. But I still done it for many years.

I ride with quality protective gear. Makes me think I am safer from injury. May or may not be true, some things simply cannot be avoided and gear simply isn't going to make much difference.

But, seeing what is around the next turn on a bike when riding beautiful new country is addictive.

Riding, or not riding is a hard decision. Especially with family members depending on you.

Commuting on a bike can be a release from stress and problems....while creating some of its own. There is simply no way that commuting on a bike is cheaper than some cars are. But I still done it for many years.

I ride with quality protective gear. Makes me think I am safer from injury. May or may not be true, some things simply cannot be avoided and gear simply isn't going to make much difference.

But, seeing what is around the next turn on a bike when riding beautiful new country is addictive.

Right on! :thumbsup:

What worked for me ( and perhaps no one else) was that I gave up riding for a while.

Now Nancy only asks if my life insurance it paid up!

We all know riding a bike has increased risks over an automobile.

I do what I can, ATGATT, air bag vest, hi viz suit, helmet, etc.

But I remember what Jammie said on this board at one time. If you think hi viz will save your life, remember drivers hit parked EMT vehicles painted hi viz and with lights flashing.

So I ride like everyone is trying to kill me. Continually make adjustments as my reactions times slow down due to age, don't ride at night, don't drink and ride or even ride with others that have been drinking etc.

Will it be enough? Dunno. But I do know it will help me even the odds a little.

I applaud your concern for your family. Some riders never give it a thought.

You will know the right decision when you have made up your mind.

Best

Dennis Andress
What worked for me ( and perhaps no one else) was that I gave up riding for a while.

Now Nancy only asks if my life insurance it paid up!

We all know riding a bike has increased risks over an automobile.

I do what I can, ATGATT, air bag vest, hi viz suit, helmet, etc.

But I remember what Jammie said on this board at one time. If you think hi viz will save your life, remember drivers hit parked EMT vehicles painted hi viz and with lights flashing.

So I ride like everyone is trying to kill me. Continually make adjustments as my reactions times slow down due to age, don't ride at night, don't drink and ride or even ride with others that have been drinking etc.

Will it be enough? Dunno. But I do know it will help me even the odds a little.

I applaud your concern for your family. Some riders never give it a thought.

You will know the right decision when you have made up your mind.

Best

The two golden rules of long life motorcycling are:

1.) Anything that moves can kill you.

2.) Get the f out of the way!

Dennis Andress
and anything sitting in the road around a blind corner can...

BTDT too many time.

:wave:

Ok

3) Never enter a blind corner faster than you want to hit something.

and anything sitting in the road around a blind corner can...

BTDT too many time.

Ok

is it possible to want to?

:rofl:

Best to you and Laney.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Best to you and Laney.

Well----- Yes (kind of)

Called "target fixation"

Dave

Edited by Dave_zoom_zoom

Jharp I understand you being taken back from the scary close call. I've been riding over 48 years and there are some risks now days that require extra vigilance on the rider's part to survive. All depends on your commute traffic patterns and the relative risk they present. I hardly ever ride in town traffic anymore without seeing an inconsiderate Ba%rd LOOKING at their cell phone! So I don't enjoy or pursue the short rides in town as often as in years past. With that said, I still get lots of pleasure from a trip to my favorite backroads on a machine with a performance envelope that only asks me to cruise if I want to! :clap: It's enough for me to stay with motorcycles until my body says enough hopefully some time well into the future yet.

Edited by sardineone

Best to you and Laney.

Well----- Yes (kind of)

Called "target fixation"

This made me look at corners (and life) a bit differently.

Dave

I am an old school dirt rider. I bought a street bike in the late 80's, and a funny thing happened. I was totally confident while riding, but thought about possible problems later, enough to quit for almost 20 years. I always felt like a motorcyclist all those years. Then, while walking back to a park after parking the car I saw a Harley parked with a for sale sign. I walked past, then turned around and stared....within 2 months I had a motorcycle license, and a new Harley. Now, on my 2nd R1200RT I don't regret it. But the gravity of riding motorcycles is with me. This is serious shit! I reflect on my car driving record, no accidents in 50 years. You cannot separate the fun from being careful. But we all know that great feeling of getting out on the road.

• 1 month later...
Jharpphoto

I borrowed my friends GS today for a quick spin to the local BMW dealer. On the sales floor sat a pristine 2011 RT with 10k miles on it. The price was right and I love the color. I haven't talked to my wife about buying another bike because I know she won't be a fan. Ultimately, she will acquiesce. I checked with my credit union and got approved with an excellent APR for the bike. All I need is the wife's approval.

Jharpphoto

Oddly enough, my wife is not nearly as excited as I am about buying a new bike. This is going to require a more focused approach in changing her mind.

greiffster
Oddly enough, my wife is not nearly as excited as I am about buying a new bike. This is going to require a more focused approach in changing her mind.

Yeah, strange? :dontknow::/

Jharpphoto

This approach has served me well in the past, but hasn't been without some discomfort.

I usually end up begging for forgiveness rather than asking permission.
Marty Hill

Kinda funny, when the title for my PA 30 Twin Comanche arrived it was the last straw. :rofl:

I usually end up begging for forgiveness rather than asking permission.

Luckily, I never have to ask for permission :dance::dance: I actually have been told to "spend more" on myself.

Yeah, she needs to be doing seminars on that stuff! :rofl:

Pat

I does gots me a good 'un uh huh!!! She gets the same reaction from me, I'll never have to give her permission to buy anything.

A good bud of mine, a very experienced Triumph and Sportster rider, now has a Vespa scooter that he likes, which is great. But he also wants a new Triumph 1200 Bonnie. Wife says no, can't have a scooter and a motorcycle. I told him, just buy the Triumph, what's she gonna do? She'll be mad for a while, but she'll get over it, and you'll have a Triumph!

greiffster
A good bud of mine, a very experienced Triumph and Sportster rider, now has a Vespa scooter that he likes, which is great. But he also wants a new Triumph 1200 Bonnie. Wife says no, can't have a scooter and a motorcycle. I told him, just buy the Triumph, what's she gonna do? She'll be mad for a while, but she'll get over it, and you'll have a Triumph!

:grin:

Reminds me of some of those "Deep Thoughts" (by Jack Handy) quotes.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

Shiny Side Up

Here's the best way to get a new motorcycle in under the radar.

1) Buy it, but keep that to yourself - not a word to anyone.

2) Bring it home a few pieces at a time and store pieces hidden in garage.

3) Go out to the garage each night after supper and make a lot of noise - hammering, radio turned up - run a grinder - and great if you have a cutting torch to throw a lot of sparks out the door.

4) Once the motorcycle is reassembled you can ride it up and down the street a few times so wife can see it. If she asks anything about it, the standard answer is -"That old thing??" "I've had it covered up out there for years. Just thought I'd do some work on her and get her running again!!"

Shiny Side Up
Picking up my 2011 RT w/ 10K miles today after work. Woo Hoo!!!

Show off!! :D

Enjoy the new motorcycle and good on ya'!! :thumbsup: